Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 tundra with steel wheels. I just bought 2008 tacoma OEM alloy wheels.
Now I need to get lugs, and looking at on-line toyota dealers - if I look for tundra alloy studs - they list 2, type one and type two (short and long) and the long ones sell for $5.59 each.
But when I look up alloy lugs for the 2008 tacoma - they list 2 also but the long ones are only $2.43 each.
Shouldn't they be the same lug?
Which ones should I purchase?

thanks
vongiese

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
NE1??

I hoping to try a Tacoma lug this weekend to see how that one works and I looked at Gorilla Lugs and they list the same lugs for each vehicle......

help?
thanks
vg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Which Lug nuts? 08 Tacoma alloys on 2000 tundra

Tacoma lugs look pretty much the same as the tundra lugs - got a look at both this weekend. Wonder why the Toyota site shows such a difference and a huge diff in price?
Based on some comments I've seen here - that the OEM lugs are junk and rust quickly -
I think I'm going to by Gorilla lugs - the locking type are on sale thru Brandsport.com for about $77 (incl shipping).
vg

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
You mentioned both lug nuts and studs...if you want to replace the studs, get the ARP kit listed for the Lexus, and cut them on a cold saw (band saw, etc) to about 2.1" underhead length, and press them in like any other stud.

If it's just the lug nuts you're looking for, the OEM alloy wheels take a "mag-style" lug nut...the end may have a slight taper, but the wheel is centered by the hub, and the lug nut seats against the wheel with a flat flange rather than a taper.

When in doubt, get the long lug nut. BTW, they're much less expensive at the local auto shop...sometimes they rust, sometimes they don't, but it's just surface rust. I've never had a problem with lug nuts rusting to the studs.

-Sean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Which Lug nuts? 08 Tacoma alloys on 2000 tundra

You mentioned both lug nuts and studs...if you want to replace the studs, get the ARP kit listed for the Lexus, and cut them on a cold saw (band saw, etc) to about 2.1" underhead length, and press them in like any other stud.

If it's just the lug nuts you're looking for, the OEM alloy wheels take a "mag-style" lug nut...the end may have a slight taper, but the wheel is centered by the hub, and the lug nut seats against the wheel with a flat flange rather than a taper.

When in doubt, get the long lug nut. BTW, they're much less expensive at the local auto shop...sometimes they rust, sometimes they don't, but it's just surface rust. I've never had a problem with lug nuts rusting to the studs.

-Sean
My Bad - i was only talking about lugs - sorry to confuse you. I got the gorilla brand lugs in the mail yesterday - they are inbetween the long and short that toyota sells and supposedly never rust. It just looks bad when they do rust in contrast to shiny alloy wheels.
Still wondering why toyota parts lists tacoma lugs for for alloys at $2.50ea and the ones for the tundra are $5.60 each!!!:beatsme:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts