Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if it matters which starter I have my mechanic put in to replace my failing one. Looks like I have two options: A 1.4kw and a 2.0 kw starter. Does it matter which one I buy? There is no way to tell which one I have without pulling the old one and I'd like to have the replacement handy when the mechanic breaks everything down.

If it doesn't matter, I'll probably put in the 2.0 kw starter.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If it is just clicking when you try to start it why not just have him put in some new contacts and run the original starter?

·
Registered
391 Posts
If it is just clicking when you try to start it why not just have him put in some new contacts and run the original starter?
Ditto. Toyota starters last forever, go to the dealer and get some contacts, replace them, and you're good for another 100-150K miles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd rather have some peace of mind for $250 and replace the starter. The labor will cost the same either way I go so I figure they might as well replace the entire unit while they are in there.

Back to my original question. Does it really matter which one I purchase?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ditto. Toyota starters last forever, go to the dealer and get some contacts, replace them, and you're good for another 100-150K miles.
Same here, I've had 4 Toyotas (88 Camry, 96 Avalon, 00 and 02 Tundras) and have never had to replace the starter in either of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts