Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a "new to me" truck. I took a 2005 Tacoma Sport out for a test drive today and fell in love with it. The only problem is that is has the dreaded over 65 mph "balloon squeaking" noise that I have found documented in this forum.

So now I could use your help.

- Is there a "best" model year I should look for? (It seems like the window problems of the 2005s were fixed in 2006).
- Are there model years to avoid?
- If the dealer "fixes" the window squeak should I consider it fixed and buy it or wait for the "right" one?

In general, I don't mind paying a bit more or waiting for the right one - If you tell me that there is one worth the money/time.

This forum is great - Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New member help?

- Only 22 viewed this thread while over 9K viewed thread re: compass - which was posted after this one.

- Out of the 22 who viewed 0 responded

Is it a dumb question? Asked before and answered? Poorly writen? Bad subject line?

I am looking for help so I don't buy a truck with known issues. - Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
You only waited what 8 hours and it was over night ... Lol calm yourself I'm sure you'll get some opinions. I personally had a 2003 until 7 months ago and Loved it!! But only got 35000 miles in that time and had zero issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:) Sorry - Thanks for the info - I'll calm down.

I am just excited about the possibility of the 2005 (with the window squeak), and maybe buying it tomorrow.

Typically - would you say that if they fix a problem like this you are good to go? or is it a warning to stay away and wait for the next one?

·
Registered
898 Posts
New member help?

- Only 22 viewed this thread while over 9K viewed thread re: compass - which was posted after this one.

You might want to recheck that compass thread ... there's a reason it has 9K views ... because it was started on 10-01-2007, 07:11 PM. Besides, how could 9K views happen in less than 8 hours? :rofl: :flame:

They are all good IMO. Some trucks had issues, and some didn't. I have a late model 2005 and it's been good, no problems or any TSB symptoms that some members have had. Kind of the luck of the draw to some degree, just like anything made by a human.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I agree, just hit or miss. I hear of so many with newer models having tons of problems. I got mine in late 2004 and have been fairly trouble free compared to most everyone else. I lived with the windshield buzz for over 5 years, just had my windshield cracked and replaced a month ago or so. Cost me $50 for a new windshield. I don't see any reason why the dealership wouldn't fix it as part of the sale. Otherwise, there's really no reason not to get the '05...unless you want a newer one with traction control and some of the other goodies that are now standard items.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I am looking for a "new to me" truck. I took a 2005 Tacoma Sport out for a test drive today and fell in love with it. The only problem is that is has the dreaded over 65 mph "balloon squeaking" noise that I have found documented in this forum.

- Is there a "best" model year I should look for? (It seems like the window problems of the 2005s were fixed in 2006).
- If the dealer "fixes" the window squeak should I consider it fixed and buy it or wait for the "right" one?

In general, I don't mind paying a bit more or waiting for the right one - If you tell me that there is one worth the money/time.

IMO, I would always try to avoid a first year in a new model series. I have had both Nissan (2004 Titan) and Toyotas (2000 & 2007 Tundra) in first year in model series and they are a learning curve (to a degree) for the manufacturers.

My 2004 and 2009 Tacos (both end of series vehicles) have been super ... but I did have rear spring TSB done on the 2009 and it will carry a load now. FWIW, the 2007 Tundra was the best first year model series that I have had.

Sent you a PM with more info in it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

If what he meant is that ranks are paid the same, or NCO (non-commissioned officers) participate in tactical decisions on the same level as officers (which is usually very useful, because NCO's often have way more on field experience than the commisioned officers), or say how the militia during the Spanish Civil war, or the American independence war were organized, with minimal rank and file/chain of command, and highly meritocratic, very high morale, then we are talking about something serious.

·
Registered
16 Posts
05s have had engine mount problems, so check them if you give an 05.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) Sorry - Thanks for the info - I'll calm down.

I am just excited about the possibility of the 2005 (with the window squeak), and maybe buying it tomorrow.

Typically - would you say that if they fix a problem like this you are good to go? or is it a warning to stay away and wait for the next one?
My 2005, manufactured in mid-March 2005, didn't have any window problems. No water leaks and no squeaks.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
My 2005 Tacoma, also manufactured in March of 2005 has had just one problem fixed in almost 5 years and 50,000 miles. That was the TSB to replace noisy cab mounts, which only rattled when it was below 30 degrees or so. Otherwise it has been perfect. I love my truck and I have never regretted buying it for a second. My last Celica had the windshield noise problem though, and it could drive you crazy, so make them fix that before you buy. Good luck.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I lived with the windshield buzz for over 5 years, just had my windshield cracked and replaced a month ago or so. Cost me $50 for a new windshield.
What causes the windshield buzz? I only hear a buzz sound sometimes when above 100 MPH. Obviously not a real concern for me as I'm normally not at that speed very often. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input.

My last Celica had the windshield noise problem though, and it could drive you crazy, so make them fix that before you buy. Good luck.
As a certified pre-owned Tacoma, the dealer is saying that, it would come with a 3 month warrenty. The dealership is also saying that Toyota will not fix the window noise under warrent and that they don't have enough margin to do the fix at the same offer price. Personally I am suprized that a dealer would want to sell a certified car with a "known" problem.

Does anyone know the best way to contact Toyota directly to argue the point that this should be a warrenty repair? I have found cases, under other threads on this site, that owners have had this fixed under warrenty. I would like to get this resolved before I buy it - but it might be hard to do if I do not own the Tac first.

·
Registered
898 Posts
As a certified pre-owned Tacoma, the dealer is saying that, it would come with a 3 month warrenty. The dealership is also saying that Toyota will not fix the window noise under warrent and that they don't have enough margin to do the fix at the same offer price. Personally I am suprized that a dealer would want to sell a certified car with a "known" problem.

Does anyone know the best way to contact Toyota directly to argue the point that this should be a warrenty repair? I have found cases, under other threads on this site, that owners have had this fixed under warrenty. I would like to get this resolved before I buy it - but it might be hard to do if I do not own the Tac first.
I'd tell the dealer the truck obviously has the windshield TSB problem. Have him pull up TSB #NV006-07. Tell them you want it fixed ... they DO NOT have to replace the windshield to fix it. Have him LOOK at the TSB for his own info. It's only a 45 min job.

What month & year of manufacture does the sticker inside the driver's door show?

Tell the salesman that ANYONE who drives the truck is going to notice the noise and will not want to buy the truck with an obvious noise problem. If the dealer wants to sell the truck, they will have to fix the noise per the TSB at some point.

·
Registered
898 Posts

I'd tell the dealer the truck obviously has the windshield TSB problem. Have him pull up TSB #NV006-07. Tell them you want it fixed ... they DO NOT have to replace the windshield to fix it. Have him LOOK at the TSB for his own info.

Tell the salesman that ANYONE who drives the truck is going to notice the noise and will not want to buy the truck with an obvious noise problem. If the dealer wants to sell the truck, they will have to fix the noise per the TSB at some point.

What month & year does the sticker inside the driver's door show for date of manufacture?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts