Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like your opinion on a couple tire choices. I have gone through the threads and there are so many topics on this subject in many different threads I thought I would put the 2 tires I am interested in and see what you all think. I am looking into the following 2 tires:

1. Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo
2. BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO

I have an 05 DC Tundra Limited and live in Southern California. My precious cargo is my wife, an 11 year old, a 7 year old and a 3 month old. I want the safest tire, but I would also like to stick with an AT tire. I really like the looks of the BFG, but the Bridgestone Revo from what I have read has much better traction in the rain. My current tire (BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A ) has me hydroplaning all over the place when the roads get slick. It’s not too often in Southern California, but I don’t like taking the chance.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
For the short time that I had REVOs on my truck, they stuck like glue on what few rainy days we had. I sold my truck and upgraded to a DC shortly after I bought the REVOs, so I can't tell you muck about the long term wear.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Never had the Revo's, but I can speak very highly on the KO's. I've got around 45k miles on mine, and plenty of life left. They are noticably less traction wise in the rain now then when new, but I'll buy them again. And I live in central florida, rains everyday in the summer...

·
Registered
459 Posts
:tu:Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo:tu:
They are the best in the rain. Never lost grip in acceleration nor stopping. Unfortunately when I told my dad to get new tires when I was on vacation he got some Michelin tires that SUCK in the rain. I am down here in South Florida where it rains everyday.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick feedback! I should of also noted that with a 3 month old baby , a quieter tire would be a nice touch too. From what I have read, it sounds like the Revo's are the leader in that dept. I know that sticking with an AT tire will not give the quietest ride, but I'd like to get as close as I can.

Thanks again for all your input

·
Supportive Supporter
1,144 Posts
The Revos work great......but wore out a bit fast on my truck...about 37K miles, I think. They were quiet too! :tu:

·
Registered
267 Posts
I like the bfg's, great for towing, great for the snow in Big Bear and Mammoth, and also work great for the rain here in So Cal. I havent tried the Revo's, so cant give you any help there. Good Luck! Might wanna check consumer reports or similiar site to help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just put BFG AT's on my 03. I have a 4 month old baby, and she sleeps fine with those tires on. I don't notice much hum in them at all. I am really happy with them. I was slipping around in the Dunlap Radial Rovers, but these things stick great in the rain. I am in SoCal as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love the look of the BFG AT's that's for sure! We don't get much rain here in Southern California, but when we do, the streets get really slick (from the oil buildup I assume) until it rinses away. Not to mention having to brake suddenly because of those that are timid driving with water on the road. ;)

Safety is the #1 factor, followed by ride and then a good "chunky" looking tire is close behind that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
they are not true AT, but Yokohama Geolanders hs-t's. have my vote. great in rain. after i skidded around on oem Dunlop Gran Treks for a while. (worst tire i have ever had, bar none.)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Has anyone tried the Continental CrossContact LX? TireRack has them rated as #4 in its class and it is very affordable. Reviews have it quiet and great in the rain and above average in light snow. I hardly go off road and usually only on logging roads that are pretty good. For the price, they seem very tempting, especially with a 65K warranty.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am Running Pirelli Scorpion ATR's on My Truck Around Sacramento. I have the AC, LSD and the TRD Package.

I have run down the interstate in rain that my wipers could barely keep up with with no Hydroplaning. I have floored it from a dead stop and with the LSD in full rain, the truck launches straight with no spin as if the pavement were dry. Total hook Up. I have hit the brakes HARD, as we have plenty of drivers here who do not care how they drive and got total handling and braking performance from the tires.

I also drive the truck off road at work and have had no worries about the mountain goat it sometimes needs to be, The tire behaves well both on and off the pavement. I cannot see why it wouldn't do as well for anyone south of me as well.

Sorry I am not talking about the tires you are looking at but I bought from the tirerack.com and these were rated better at a lower price. I have not been dissapointed

Still their #1 Rated tire in it's category...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rue&fromCompare1=yes&place=9&minSpeedRating=R

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No worries about discussing tires that I did not inquire about. All input is welcome! Thanks for the info. I just checked Tire Rack and the Pirelli's were rated the best overall in the On/Off-Road AT category. I don't know how accurate the survey results are, but this is something to look into. Any other opinions on the Pirelli's?

On/Off-Road AT category Survey Results

·
Registered
919 Posts
No worries about discussing tires that I did not inquire about. All input is welcome! Thanks for the info. I just checked Tire Rack and the Pirelli's were rated the best overall in the On/Off-Road AT category. I don't know how accurate the survey results are, but this is something to look into. Any other opinions on the Pirelli's?

On/Off-Road AT category Survey Results
When I think Pirelli's, I think of cars. When I think BFG, I think trucks. Just my 2 cents

1 - 17 of 17 Posts