Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...just getting ready to need some new shoes for my 08' CrewMax TRD. What tires have you all chosen? Do you like them? What kind of life are you expecting to get? And last but not least....do you have any pictures?

I have been doing some research and have really found a great interest in the General Grabber A/T 2, any insight would be appreciated. I really want a somewhat aggressive (not mud terrain looking) tire but I also want to get more than 25,000 miles out of them (that is all the stock tires have given me). Thanks everyone for your help! :confused:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Wow....you only got 25k out of the rugged trails?! A lot of people on here hate them and say they're crap, but I had just over 50k on mine when I finally bought new tires and wheels. They still had decent tread on them too. Anyway, I went with the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I have just over 16K on them and do not have any complaints. The tread still looks great and they are pretty quiet on the road. I am happy with them so far. Good luck on whatever tire you choose.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I got these...
Kumho Road Venture AT KL78

Just got them and like them so far. Have not gone off road yet but other reviews have said they preform well. They look more aggressive in person then in pics. I will upload some of mine soon. I believe they have a 50k warrant and are priced really well. They are similar to the ones you are looking at.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have MICH AT/2 with only complaint is cost!

I am considering HANKOOK RF10's (aggressive look A/T that is quite on road with a 50,000 warranty on the non e rated tires at discount tire) or GENERAL GRABBERS AT2 NEXT TIME AROUND.

In fact, looking at geolandar ht/s or above kooks for folks 4runner driven 100% on street. The kooks are very quite for an AT TIRE on street.

We don't see snow, but the rain for sure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
BFG AT KO is a good allterrain tire with good road manners, although it's crap in the mud, but decent in dirt/sand. Tread life is good.
However if you want a little better off road traction the dick cepek FCII is GREAT with decent street manners(not quite as good as BFG), but very good off road(I never got stuck in mud or sand/self cleaning capability). Also they wear like iron. I had 65k on my last pair when I traded truck and there was another 10k left on them.
Neither is to loud on road. Both should last at least 50k I would think on crew max I would guess.
I just had the cepeks and loved them, now my TRD has BFG's and I like the road grip, but know I gave up mud grip.
As far as other brands go, I really don't recommend a whole lot. I sold tires for 4 years and it really comes down to what you want them for and how much$$ you'll spend.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Compared with the Rubbish Trail's any tire is better, especially on wet road conditions. I am not referring to the tire life, since i think ride quality, safety, comfort and noise are far more important. I had the Rugged Trail's on my first gen. Tundra, drove them a couple of thousend kilometers and got rid of them since I think they are really dangerous under wet conditions. On my 2 gen Tundra I never used them (for sale, together with the 18" TRD rims).
I had the Toyo Open Country A/T and now have the Pirelli's ATR. I must say that the Open Country A/T is an outstanding tire and i like them better than the Pirelli's. Next set of tires will be the Open County again.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Wow....you only got 25k out of the rugged trails?! A lot of people on here hate them and say they're crap, but I had just over 50k on mine when I finally bought new tires and wheels. They still had decent tread on them too. Anyway, I went with the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I have just over 16K on them and do not have any complaints. The tread still looks great and they are pretty quiet on the road. I am happy with them so far. Good luck on whatever tire you choose.

Not sure why peeps hate 'em so much.........got 45K on mine with some tread left and picked up a set of no mileage OEM's WITH TRD rims for $400. (figuring I could get at least 1/2 that back selling my old set)

No complaints here concerning Rugged Trails.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cooper Discovery ATR 33" stock rim no lift required deep tread: great on highway and wet pavement- not for offroad. Load E rating for towing and durability. I have approx. 49,000 with very little tread wear. one pic on my photo gallery. Approx. $ 215. each installed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I went with Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors Pro grade (E load). I have about 20k miles on them and they have been great!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Toyo OC A/T 285/75R18. Love 'em. I have 18k miles on them so far and I can hardly see any wear. Of course, these start out with 17/32" tread depth. I'll probably buy a set for my wife's Yukon.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I have MICH AT/2 with only complaint is cost!

I am considering HANKOOK RF10's (aggressive look A/T that is quite on road with a 50,000 warranty on the non e rated tires at discount tire) or GENERAL GRABBERS AT2 NEXT TIME AROUND.

In fact, looking at geolandar ht/s or above kooks for folks 4runner driven 100% on street. The kooks are very quite for an AT TIRE on street.

We don't see snow, but the rain for sure.
... ^^^ ... I have the Michelin LTX AT2s too and love them too.

PS ... IMO ... important to keep good shoes on your feet and good tires on your truck. ... :D

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
lots of threads on it...but i have no idea how people would get 50k out of those crappy tires...mine lasted 32k miles....and i wasnt hard on them...IMO they werent the worst tire out there but certainly nothing to go back with...

oh and toyo open country AT 275/70/18 is what i went with for replacement....love em.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I love my Firestone Destination M/T tires, but that is more tire than you want. I got 50,000 miles out of the stock BFG's and currently have 43,000 miles on the Firestone M/T's. I will replace the Firestones with another set of the same this Fall. I would go with the BFG AT since they seem to last forever. My buddy got almost 100,000 miles out of his BFG AT's on a Hummer H2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts