Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running Mobil 1 5W-30 in my 2007 DC 4.7L engine since the first oil change.......but I noticed if you take off the cap to add oil, the cap is full of whitetish foam in the cold months...I suspect this is normal but I thought I would just throw this out there and listen to any comments.

BTW the filler cap on the 4.7 L engine is raised up about 4" above the valve cover so this might play into this white foam forming there.

Bob

·
Registered
315 Posts
White foam = H2O in oil.

~JH

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well then it's just condensation because it only happens in the cold winter months and not in the summer.

·
Registered
315 Posts
How much white foam????

I would wipe out all the foam, change the oil and see if it returns. If it does....it could be a leaking gasket.

I dont profess to know poop about this motor, it may be common but I would make sure.

~JH

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much white foam????

I would wipe out all the foam, change the oil and see if it returns. If it does....it could be a leaking gasket.

I dont profess to know poop about this motor, it may be common but I would make sure.

~JH
Ya, I have done that and in the winter month the white foam returns....but nothing once the weather up here warms up....it do (400 miles) for another oil change so when I'm done with dropping the oil and refilling it I will once again wipe out the oil fill cap.

·
Registered
274 Posts
even if its just in the winter its still not right. sounds like water or coolant in the oil. i know there used to be an issue with the dodge motors. here is the TSB on that. think its was listed as the foam is caused by the decreased temp of the filler neck contributing to condensation of moisture in the oil and engine into a concentrated area

TSBs on that symptom.
090100A - ACCUMULATION OF FOAMY OIL EMULSION 4.7L ENGINE OIL FILL HOUSING

Date: 09/11/00 (supercedes 090100 dated 02/00)

Model year(s): 1999-2000

Description:A customer may complain of an oil emulsion accumulation inside the engine oil fill housing. The oil emulsion will normally be foamy and be gray or light brown in color. The emulsion accumulation will often occur on cooler engine surfaces, like the inside of the oil fill housing. Modern engine oils are designed to address the oil emulsion phenomenon. Oil emulsion accumulation is normal and will not damage the engine A new baffle and a revised oil fill housing cap have been released. The baffle and oil cap will help to reduce the amount of oil emulsion accumulation within the oil fill housing.

Details: If the customer has experienced this issue, then perform the Repair Procedure.

Parts required:
53032126AA Baffle, Oil Fill Housing
53032389AC Cap, Oil Fill Housing

·
Registered
158 Posts
Perfectly normal in winter unless you run the engine long enough to evaporate the condensation, takes hours, likely you're driving relatively short runs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts