Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Unfortunately I am experiencing some issues with my exhaust on start up. A little background before I go into whats going on.

2004 Tundra Limited 2wd 147,XXX miles. Took it in for an oil change 2 weeks ago. It's been raining like crazy here for the last 2 weeks. 2 days out of the last 14 have been really bad.

On both mornings after the storm, when I go to start my truck I get a big puff of white smoke/exhaust. Once the engine warms up it's gone. It happened about 10 days ago, then didn't happen again. Then last night after a heavy rain, it happened again.

I am keeping an eye on my coolant levels (which seem to be staying at a consistent level) and my oil, which doesnt look milky or foamy. I am going to be doing a compression check this Saturday to determine if it's a head gasket, but I would think if it were, it wouldn't matter the weather, it would do it when it starts regardless.

The truck is driving fine, not issues there, it's only on wet mornings when I start it.

Next thing I am going to check is my Air filter, to see if it's leaking water in the motor (I doubt it). Other than that i guess I can check for cracked lines, but I dont really know where to go from there.

Would the oil change have caused any thing like this to happen? It's the same place Ive taken my truck for a few months, before that I was doing all the oil changes. Now I am debating going back to doing it myself.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Checked this morning, coolant level hasn't budged. But yesterday the Check Engine light came on. It's been going on and off for about a year and throws the same code. O2 sensor in Bank 1 is out of range. It stays on for a few days then goes away, longest it's stayed was a week. This time I am going to replace it, or all of them. Dealer quoted me $750 to replace all 4, but the videos Ive looked at make it seem pretty easy to replace. Im at the point where I think it would be best to change all 4 instead of waiting for the next one to go out. Any suggestions on if this is something I could handle or is it worth letting the dealer do.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Update: Checked this morning, coolant level hasn't budged. But yesterday the Check Engine light came on. It's been going on and off for about a year and throws the same code. O2 sensor in Bank 1 is out of range. It stays on for a few days then goes away, longest it's stayed was a week. This time I am going to replace it, or all of them. Dealer quoted me $750 to replace all 4, but the videos Ive looked at make it seem pretty easy to replace. Im at the point where I think it would be best to change all 4 instead of waiting for the next one to go out. Any suggestions on if this is something I could handle or is it worth letting the dealer do.
They aren't hard to change, borrow the offset o2 socket from the parts store and you'll be good for the front. The hardest part is undoing the connectors that your really can't see. Rear are pretty easy assuming the threads on the exhaust pipe aren't rusted to hell. Best way if they are is to get a nut splitter and run a rethreading die over the studs before reinstalling the new ones.

Denso sensors are what you want easily available from Rock Auto or Amazon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Fester! Thanks for letting me know. I am going to attempt it my self. Got under my truck and they seem accessible as long as I can get them off. I found the upstream Denso sensor on amazon, will this fit both upstream o2 sensor locations? I want to replace all 4, both upstream and both downstreams while I am under there. Wasnt sure if all 4 sensors were different or just 2 of the same for the upstream and downstream.

Also as for the white smoke, my coolant levels are changing and this morning after a hard rain there was no smoke. I am starting to think my faulting o2 sensors are occasionally not providing enough gas to the engine making the mixture lean and causing the smoke.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts