Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I CHECKED MY VIN AND MINE WAS BUILT IN INDIANA. HAVEN'T HAD ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL AND MY ONLY COMPLAINT IS THE PAINT JOB AND THIN SHEET METAL, OTHER THAN THAT I LOVE MY TRUCK. HERE'S HOW TO TELL

FIRST THREE CHARACTERS:
The first three characters of your Tundra’s VIN number indicate where your truck was
built.
5TF – Truck was manufactured at TMMTX
5TB – Truck was manufactured at TMMI
FOURTH CHARACTER:
The fourth character of your Tundra’s VIN indicates the body type.
J – Reg. Cab 2WD
K – Reg. Cab 4WD
L – Reg. Cab 2WD Long Bed
M – Reg. Cab 4WD Long Bed
R – Double Cab 2WD
S – Double Cab 2WD Long Bed
B – Double Cab 4WD
C – Double Cab 4WD Long Bed
U = Double Cab 4WD
E – CrewMax 2WD
D – CrewMax 4WD
FIFTH CHARACTER:
The fifth character of your Tundra’s VIN indicates the engine.
U = 4.0L V6
T = 4.7L V8
V = 5.7L V8
W = 5.7L
Y = 5.7L
SIXTH, SEVENTH, & EIGHTH CHARACTERS:
The 6th, 7th, and 8th characters in the VIN indicate the trim level of the truck.
521 = Base
541 = SR5
Page 1
VIN numbers.txt
581 = LTD
NINTH CHARACTER:
The 9th character in the VIN is used as a check digit.
TENTH CHARACTER:
The 10th character in your truck’s VIN is the model year. It’s either a number or letter,
depending upon the decade. For 2007, it’s the number “7?. However, in 1997, it was a
“V”.
ELEVENTH CHARACTER:
The 11th character indicates the final assembly point.
S – Indiana
X – Texas
LAST SIX CHARACTERS:
The last six numbers of the VIN are used by Toyota to uniquely identify your vehicle,
sort of like a serial number. However, these numbers do not appear to be sequential or
numerically significant. Toyota seems to have a unique system for numbering cars –
they don’t seem to be marking them 000001, 000002, 000003, etc.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
My '07 DC 4.7 was built in Indiana..... and my new '10 CM 5.7 was obviously Texas. The '07 did 26 months of completely trouble free driving. So far, so good with my '10; 3 months & rolling...

·
Registered
987 Posts
Indiana did a better job.........because that is where my truck is from....

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I CHECKED MY VIN AND MINE WAS BUILT IN INDIANA. HAVEN'T HAD ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL AND MY ONLY COMPLAINT IS THE PAINT JOB AND THIN SHEET METAL, OTHER THAN THAT I LOVE MY TRUCK. HERE'S HOW TO TELL

FIRST THREE CHARACTERS:
The first three characters of your Tundra’s VIN number indicate where your truck was
built.
5TF – Truck was manufactured at TMMTX
5TB – Truck was manufactured at TMMI
FOURTH CHARACTER:
The fourth character of your Tundra’s VIN indicates the body type.
J – Reg. Cab 2WD
K – Reg. Cab 4WD
L – Reg. Cab 2WD Long Bed
M – Reg. Cab 4WD Long Bed
R – Double Cab 2WD
S – Double Cab 2WD Long Bed
B – Double Cab 4WD
C – Double Cab 4WD Long Bed
U = Double Cab 4WD
E – CrewMax 2WD
D – CrewMax 4WD
FIFTH CHARACTER:
The fifth character of your Tundra’s VIN indicates the engine.
U = 4.0L V6
T = 4.7L V8
V = 5.7L V8
W = 5.7L
Y = 5.7L
SIXTH, SEVENTH, & EIGHTH CHARACTERS:
The 6th, 7th, and 8th characters in the VIN indicate the trim level of the truck.
521 = Base
541 = SR5
Page 1
VIN numbers.txt
581 = LTD
NINTH CHARACTER:
The 9th character in the VIN is used as a check digit.
TENTH CHARACTER:
The 10th character in your truck’s VIN is the model year. It’s either a number or letter,
depending upon the decade. For 2007, it’s the number “7?. However, in 1997, it was a
“V”.
ELEVENTH CHARACTER:
The 11th character indicates the final assembly point.
S – Indiana
X – Texas
LAST SIX CHARACTERS:
The last six numbers of the VIN are used by Toyota to uniquely identify your vehicle,
sort of like a serial number. However, these numbers do not appear to be sequential or
numerically significant. Toyota seems to have a unique system for numbering cars –
they don’t seem to be marking them 000001, 000002, 000003, etc.
Looks like you've got it all down pat so far. And you're right, Toyota might be using a lot system classification for the serial number (i.e. 100000-199999, 200000-299999, 300000-399999, and so on with a variation in there somewhere)

Sanosuke!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Thanks for the info. That would be interesting to know if a particular assembly plant had better quality but if the parts are all coming from the same place and if it's the quality of the parts that are the problem then I don't know if assembly, in some cases, would make a big difference? I think assembly would make more of a difference if it was a Friday or Monday built truck!!! Notice, Toyota don't tell ya what day it was built, highly suspect? hehehheheeee

Thats said, my 2002 with right at 140k miles with no issues was built in Indiana and my 07 is built in Indiana! I feel better now!

I'd give ya points for the post but I'm in points prison? I only gave out to a few people and I get locked up?

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Just checked mine and its Indiana. I only have about 23k on mine and no problems yet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
2008 built in Texas here. Still running strong...

<----Note to self, do jinx it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far looks like indiana is in the lead...i'd like to hear from all the guys who are having problems, but the parts thing could be an issue as well---didn't think of that!

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Mine is an Indiana truck and has had no problems except the stock radios. All of those were bad anyway (made in China).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Texas ... 40 thousand trouble free miles. Hasn't been back to the dealer since I drove it off the lot. Guess that's about to change.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
mine was a Texas build in May '07. 25k miles later, only 1 warranty repair for a bad evap purge valve. Other than that not a single complaint.

·
- ? -
1,305 Posts
I have a family member who works at the Toyota plant but I didn't know what he did until a couple weeks ago. Anyways, he does the QA for the paint. Their ain't much to say about the paint though since it's govt. standard water based paint. Now the issues that alot of y'all had with the haze spots on the white paint is a different story.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Thanks for the info. That would be interesting to know if a particular assembly plant had better quality but if the parts are all coming from the same place and if it's the quality of the parts that are the problem then I don't know if assembly, in some cases, would make a big difference? I think assembly would make more of a difference if it was a Friday or Monday built truck!!! Notice, Toyota don't tell ya what day it was built, highly suspect? hehehheheeee

Thats said, my 2002 with right at 140k miles with no issues was built in Indiana and my 07 is built in Indiana! I feel better now!

I'd give ya points for the post but I'm in points prison? I only gave out to a few people and I get locked up?
I'm pretty sure the suppliers are _on_ site at the plant. :)

And for those wondering about my 07 Tundra... it was built in Indiana!
Sanosuke!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm pretty sure the suppliers are _on_ site at the plant.

I don't think I stated that as clearly as possible; so, I can see why you missed the point. All the problem parts: Bad crank shaft(I think it was the first 25 engines or something like that, you get the idea I hope) all came from the same place (manufacturer), bad radio came from the same manufacturer (probably China but I don't really know), torque converter, tranny seal, etc, etc. I may not have named the problem parts "children" exactly but I think you get the concept. So, no matter where these parts are put together if the part is bad or weak due to design flaw or cheap materials then whether it is assembled in Texas or Indiana wouldn't have that big of impact for those specific parts. Except in the case if it was assembled wrong from the get go. I hope that clarifies a little bit better because I don't think you mean that all these things are sourced from suppliers in the same plant.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
My 07 was built in Texas

No issues so far, but only 5000 miles :D

The base radio was made in Mexico by Delphi - it's a piece of junk.

The bad batch of cams came from TRW (or what once was TRW).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts