Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2005 DC LB 4X4, it has a shudder on takeoff, or when moving slowly and turning left or right at the same time. Doesn't do it all the time. Who else has this problem? Or am I the only one? I have it scheduled at the dealer for Wednesday. The truck is out of standard warranty, but still has the drivetrain warranty still in effect for about another 13,000 miles or 24 months. Other than the shudder, I love the truck, couldn't be happier, well... if there were no shudder that is.

Thanks for any help. Bill

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have the same problem on my 2006 tacoma lb 4x4. went to the dealer twice already but they're full of BS. truck still under warranty. felt the shudder at approx 55,000 miles with the original tires (265/65/R17), dealer said its because of the tires so i purchased 4 new tires but after installing them, guess what... no change!! went back to the dealer but no luck. truck now has 65,000 miles and still doing the shudder thing...

good luck!!! i hope your dealer can fix this problem so i can tell my dealer how to fix mine:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My tires do need replaced, but I don't think that will fix the problem though. Maybe I should go ahead and replace the tires to rule that out. But it seems to me that if it were the tires, the shudder would be present all the time, not just sometimes. I will update after my visit to the dealer. I have had good experiences with our local Toyota service department. I talked to the Asst. Service manager today, and he said that he hasn't had any other trucks with these symptoms prior to my call. I would like to hear if any others have had this same problem. Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've got an 08 4x4 DC TRD. I don't have the shudder, but many do. I believe that it is in the driveshaft. Over at Toyota Nation.com there is a group buy for a Tom Woods one-piece driveshaft. You might want to go over there and read about it. Nice thing is the shaft is only 275 shipped. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read about the driveshaft, and the TW buy, but I have a double cab long bed, which, being my luck, TW driveshafts does not make one that fits my truck. Thanks though, Bill

·
Registered
290 Posts
I believe the driveshaft issue is related to the 20-30 mph vibration and not a shudder upon acceleration. A shudder upon acceleration sounds more like a transmission issue. Maybe the torque converter not engaging properly or first gear not meshing correctly in the tranny.

You mention you hear the noise when turning left or right. Do you have the rear locker? I'm just wondering if the locker is not fully disengaging or a possible problem with the planetary gear itself?

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
My '05 4.0 automatic 4x4 (no rear locker) access cab with 27K miles has just started to do this in the last couple of months. It feels a little bit like the shudder you get if you try to turn tightly on a dry toad with 4WD engaged. It does it when I back out of my garage in the morning and turn slightly to the left. Since I make this same move every time I back out I know that it is something new, but I have absolutely no idea what is causing it. I almost never see it happen again during the day and it does not do it every morning, just from time to time. Since it did not do it when it was new I am wondering what has changed and if it will progress to some more serious problem. My dealer needs to be hit over the head with a very obvious issue to take any action, so I have not even tried on something this subtle and intermittent. I would definitely like to get this taken care of before my drive train warranty expires!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I take it this is a Limited Slip Differential (Sport model). I can almost guarantee the shuddering while turning is the LSD. Change your rear differential oil. Make sure it's for LSDs.
I had this exact same problem after changing my rearend oil. A week later I put in the LSD additive...shudder gone.
You can buy rearend oil with the additive in it already.

There is a shudder associated with the drive shaft but do this first. Even if you have the dealer do it, for the price of the oil and 1/2 hour labor, it's cheap.

Reactions: Chappy R

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Yeah - it is a Sport with the LSD. Good call on changing the diff oil, I will have to do that soon. I think that could fix the problem, but I have never had to change the oil in any of my cars with LSD this soon. Thanks for the reply.

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an SR5 model, and I do believe it has the LSD. I thought about changing the diff oil myself, but I figured I better let the dealer look at it first, and possibly even do the diff oil change. That way they can document and verify every thing that has been done to resolve the problem.

What is the locker rear end? Is it different from the LSD? And how would I tell if my Tacoma has a locker? Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have an SR5 model, and I do believe it has the LSD. I thought about changing the diff oil myself, but I figured I better let the dealer look at it first, and possibly even do the diff oil change. That way they can document and verify every thing that has been done to resolve the problem.

What is the locker rear end? Is it different from the LSD? And how would I tell if my Tacoma has a locker? Thanks.
SR5, that's the base 2 Wheel Drive model I believe. Not 100% if they put the LSD in there but you can check the back of the rearend for the LSD sticker.
Lockers are on the Off Road model. There is a switch in the cab to turn it off or on. The locker will lock both wheels to drive the vehicle. An LSD will only engage the other wheel as the one begins to slip.
The switch is because the locker should not be turned on while the vehicle is on hard pavement as both wheels want to turn the same so imagine what would happen going around a corner and the wheel on the inside of the turn wanted to turn just as much as the wheel on the outside:eek:
Also, you can look at the rearend from the back and you should see a small sticker on it the says "LSD OIL ONLY".

Best to let the dealer change it for you if you're not inclined to this sort of thing. You would need to get the crush washers from them anyways and probably buy the proper size socket, something like 22mm, pretty big, people don't normally have one lying around.

Remember, this is a quick easy thing for a mechanic, the cost of the oil and 1/2 hour labor at best.

You mentioned that the Service Manager "never heard of this before". I'd be cautious especially if the Service Manager used to be a mechanic. This is not uncommon, I'd bet he's heard of it before. If you don't like what he says and want to do it yourself, I'll tell you exactly what you need so your not running back and forth to the store.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The SR5 is only standard with the prerunner and the 4X4...upgradable to the Sport or TRD. There are base 2wd's without the SR5 package.

The LSD is available as an option only on the non-TRD packages (V6 models).

I also agree there are some bad things that can happen if one would try to engage the locker above 5 mph. There is a safety 'inhibit switch' on the lockers that will prohibit the locker from engaging above 5 mph.

Additionally, as keezer36 mentioned, the process is simple to replace the diff fluid, but you will need a 22mm socket and most importantly, you need to add the correct amount and type of fluid. How many miles do you have on the truck? The recommended change is at 30K, but I seriously question whether or not a fluid change will solve your problem in it's entirety.

However, if you just purchased the truck...do you know if someone recently replaced the diff fluid? They may have not used the the right fluid together with the friction modifiers...

SR5, that's the base 2 Wheel Drive model I believe. Not 100% if they put the LSD in there but you can check the back of the rearend for the LSD sticker.
Lockers are on the Off Road model. There is a switch in the cab to turn it off or on. The locker will lock both wheels to drive the vehicle. An LSD will only engage the other wheel as the one begins to slip.
The switch is because the locker should not be turned on while the vehicle is on hard pavement as both wheels want to turn the same so imagine what would happen going around a corner and the wheel on the inside of the turn wanted to turn just as much as the wheel on the outside:eek:
Also, you can look at the rearend from the back and you should see a small sticker on it the says "LSD OIL ONLY".

Best to let the dealer change it for you if you're not inclined to this sort of thing. You would need to get the crush washers from them anyways and probably buy the proper size socket, something like 22mm, pretty big, people don't normally have one lying around.

Remember, this is a quick easy thing for a mechanic, the cost of the oil and 1/2 hour labor at best.

You mentioned that the Service Manager "never heard of this before". I'd be cautious especially if the Service Manager used to be a mechanic. This is not uncommon, I'd bet he's heard of it before. If you don't like what he says and want to do it yourself, I'll tell you exactly what you need so your not running back and forth to the store.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just called the dealership that serviced the truck for the original owner. I bought it from the original owner. The service advisor looked in the service history using the VIN# and stated that Mr.xxxxx took very good care of his Tacoma, all regular services done on schedule, including front and rear differential oil change, transfer case oil change, anti freeze flush and fill, and so on. This will save some time and cost at my dealership, by narrowing down the problem.

I did not ask if they used friction additive when they replaced the diff oil. From what I have been hearing and reading, Toyota does not use the friction additive. I had to change my appointment to Friday morning. I will keep you all posted. Hopefully we can hear from some more Tacoma owners who have experienced the shudder, so we can continue to learn more about this, and get it resolved. Later, Bill

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I also have the shudder, when taking off from a stop, and also when slowing down in traffic and not giving the truck any gas it seems to want to not shift or something like it doesn't know what to do. I have the rear locker, changed the fluid around 18,000 miles glad i did there were quite a few metal shavings in the rear diff which i hear is normal.:td: That seems to be a "normal" answer from the dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My truck is a 2005 4wd trd access cab with auto.trans., it has had a launch shudder since it was new, and only seems to be getting worse. I've been putting up with it for over two years now. Still have warranty, have already been to the dealer once for it (within the first few months), got some b.s. runaround story at the time. The trucks were fresh on the market at that time and nobody seemed to want to call any symptoms i had abnormal. I don't have any driveline vibration above 20 km/h, but on acceleration from a stop up to about 20 km/h, it shudders. I do have some experience with this kind of issue with GM trucks, and it is generally caused by incorrect driveline/u-joint angles. I'm gonna try to get my dealer to check and fix it one more time and if I get any more runaround, I'll just start playing with it myself. Sometimes it's just not worth the headaches of going back and forth to dealership service departments. It's like pulling teeth trying to get them to check what I think they should check. It's a little time consuming but all of the u-joint angles need to be checked and the driveline or rear axle shimmed if necessary to correct them. Opposing u-joints should be within a 1/2degree working angle of each other and usually no more than 3degrees working angle each.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If you believe it is the driveline angle (usually is) get the rear spring TSB done first before spending a lot of time playing with shims.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got a 2007 DC TRD Sport 4x4 and I've had the shudder from a dead stop since day one. I asked the service tech at the dealer one of the last times I was in for an oil change, and got the typical, "We've never heard of this from anyone else" crap. I know I'm not the only one with this issue. I was going to try a Tom Woods driveshaft but I haven't gotten to it yet. It definitely feels like a drivetrain issue, and not a tire issue.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Wow - that "We've never heard that from anyone else" BS is getting old. The first time they used that on me (are they training them to say that?) I said, "Well, you have now, so get over it". It must be the replacement for the old "They all do that" they used to use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you believe it is the driveline angle (usually is) get the rear spring TSB done first before spending a lot of time playing with shims.
Thanks, I had thought of that and also read that some people are finding their rear ride height is higher after the TSB. I will for sure try to get that done before i mess with it. I also have a 3" lift kit with rear add-a-leaf waiting to be installed, that's why I haven't really bothered to play with it yet. Fingers crossed, with the TSB, add-a-leaf and maybe a driveline centre support bearing drop shim, things will be better or fixed.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I recently bought a 2005 DC LB 4X4, it has a shudder on takeoff, or when moving slowly and turning left or right at the same time. Doesn't do it all the time. Who else has this problem? Or am I the only one? I have it scheduled at the dealer for Wednesday. The truck is out of standard warranty, but still has the drivetrain warranty still in effect for about another 13,000 miles or 24 months. Other than the shudder, I love the truck, couldn't be happier, well... if there were no shudder that is.

Thanks for any help. Bill
See if it does it in 4wd, I bet it doesnt, I have the same issue, its axle wrap. I actually mounted a video cam under the truck one day to video what was going on and only in 2wd does the axle wrap, release, wrap release, Im eventually going to try out a budbuilt traction bar and see if that fixes it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts