Toyota Tundra Forums banner

181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you have access to any maintenance history on either of them, buy the one that's been better maintained. Treat your truck right, it'll treat you right. Keep in mind the transmission's aren't invincible on these either, so lower mileage will probably give you more miles on the road before something happens. Mine will break 300k next month and it runs and feels like a car with half its mileage and I have confidence it'll run for as long as I own it. But that's due to a diligent previous owner and me resetting it's maintenance items to "0."

·
Registered
30 Posts
I guess I better add my info to you lot!

2002 Limited 4x4 in Silver. Bought off a dealer in March of '18 in Indiana for $3,700. 256k miles at purchase. Back hatch stuck closed, rust spot in rear door wheel well, and fogged headlights. I was moving in a few months and either needed a big box or something that could tow a big box. I was also going to end up where it snows, so 4x4 was preferred. Sequoia fit the bill. Here's a list of things I've done to it.
  • Replaced front headlights and indicators and one rear tail light that was cracked with Amazon purchases.
  • Fixed small exhaust leak
  • Amazon box, rear handle replacement. One hour later I had a working tailgate.
  • Vacuum entire interior carpet, seats and headliner and extract dog hair. Took three days including surprise doggy dish with food under the passenger seat.
  • Fluids replaced: Oil, Brake, Coolant, Front and Rear diff., Trans and transfer case.
  • Four disks and pads.
  • Four Yokohama tires on stock rims. Later picked up a same-sized whatever-tire for a new spare.
  • Water pump and timing belt replaced. Crank sensor harness later sliced and patched due to faulty reassembly.
  • Steering rack replaced due to leaks.
  • Front half shafts replaced due to torn boots.
  • LED dashboard bulbs installed. (Not happy with them and will order up more stock incandescents.)
  • Lower door weather stripping reinstalled. (Two were missing.)
  • Replaced rear window motor.
  • Rust repair: Rear wheel arch inside rear door cut out, patched and painted.
  • Plate light bulbs and rear stop light bulb.
  • Replaced carpeted floor mats with Auto Zone special rubber ones.
  • New Battery and battery terminal.
  • Rocker Cover Gaskets replaced.
  • Mod: Junked 6-disk CD, replaced with BOSS double-din Nav head unit with CD/DVD/AM/FM/Bluetooth with back up camera.
  • Near Future Repairs: Fuel filler neck throwing evap code, New fuel filter, Power steering hoses.
Vehicle now has 300k miles. It's taken me through a small river, an ice storm, a tornado-spawning t-storm, moved my stuff twice over 300 miles, taken two 500 mile road trips, dodged several deer, medivac'd a biker, and served as my GF's dressing room. Looking forward to a lot more memories!

·
Registered
3 Posts
@SilverSasquatch, you're the kind of person I was trying to sell my 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited to. It was our family everything car for 8 year and 140,000. Saw the birth of 3 kids, took us to the Atlantic and Pacific more than once and went absolutely anywhere and did anything we asked of it. Dumped 2k into it towards the end, trying to keep it on the road for another 100k but a pesky oil leak drove me as close to insanity as I've ever been and I finally gave up and sold it. Really wanted to find someone like you that would continue what I started. I was way too emotionally invested in that car.

But you've convinced me that unless I can turn the gamble of buying a 500k Sequoia into a lucrative Youtube dynasty, I should opt for lower miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just purchased mine with 160K. Serviced at Dealer, just did all the major necessary things. Including:
Front/Rear/Transfer Case – 75/90 Toyota Synthetic
Plugs – NGK Platinum
ATF – Mobil 1 Drain/Fill 4.5qts
Power Steering – Mobil 1 ATF
Idler Pulley – Dayco 89154
Goodyear Gatorback Belt – Serpentine
Tires – Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor
Cleaned Throttle Body
Replaced Homelink bulbs/Drive bulb
Batteries in Remotes reprogram etc.
2 New Master Keys
4W Alignment - Goodyear
I'm curious if I should replace the handle with a metal one, or just buy one for when it breaks. I'm under the impression that if you keep the latch lubed up well, that it should be fine, even though it's plastic.

I bought a dealer maintained 03 Sequoia with 202,000 three weeks ago. The rear latch handle was bad. I replaced it with a metal handle but the new handle is slightly bigger than the original one. It causes the large plastic plate around the tag bulge out. Had to put DAP exterior putty to seal the gap to keep rain out. Lucky my Sequoia is white.
The reason the handle went bad is that the owner kept greasing the lower latch/lock with axel grease. It got thicker and thicker with dust it refused to latch or unlatch.
I took it apart while I had the handle out and removed 90% of the thick grease and oiled it some to make the latch/lock perform smoother. Works good now.
Lubricate the latch/lock every 6 months with WD40 or penetrating oil but don't grease it, because the grease will destroy the new handle or the cable.
Look at a new latch/lock, there is no thick grease inside it, just a thin lube.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine is a 2x4 06 with just 177k miles or so. 3rd owner but the 1st only kept it for less than a year. I bought it from a guy who kept great records in 2013.

I can only think of 3 things that have actually broke/needed replacing. First were the shocks. 2nd was the rear hatch latch. Replaced that 2x. The 3rd was the most recent with the rear hatch motor for the glass window. Oh did fix a leaky brake line.

I did replace the fuel injectors with BA Muffler's. No regrets there. Same with the muffler. Put in a CAI. Put in a new Pioneer stereo/DVD player (it has 2) but nobody ever uses them. Also had the cloth seats redone with leather. Can't stand cloth and the previous owner had babies who quite literally shit the cloth and COULD NOT get the smell out. Pulled the 3rd row seats as I don't need/use them.

Going overseas so will sell it after I sell the boat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
280k and going strong. Just bought it.
  • Struts & shocks replaced
  • Seat covers over the front leather
  • Replaced front with junkyard grill.
That's about it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wow... SilverSasquatch... that's bad ass! I'm at 170K miles on our '06 and am always impressed by how smooth this engine runs. It truly is a marvel of engineering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought my 2008 in 2012 with 88,000. I'm now right around 223,500. Have put new tires on every 2-3 years, replaced battery, had my second brake job within last 6 months, and today I replaced the serpentine belt. My rear latch feels melted but haven't spent any energy on that. Left mirror doesn't auto fold in when prompted. Having a little electrical glitching with radio volume decreasing when I'm turning dial to increase, then it will increase if I keep turning dial. I have started adding marvel or Lucas each oil change. I have used synthetic almost exclusively over the years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@huntercous my radio does the same thing. Just got my first Sequoia. It's a 2007 SR5 with 232,000 miles. So far I have done the front/rear diff fluid with Amsoil Signature, Oil and Filter done with Mobil 1. Fogged the engine with SeaFoam and a bottle in the gas tank. This weekend I'm doing the center diff and trans fluid. So far the only issue I'm having is the radio turning up whether you are turning it up or down and the rear window doesn't work. The PO had it replaced at the dealership 3 times then gave up. On one of the dealer invoices it said the window motor had a short somewhere. I don't really care if it works and probably won't mess with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Newbies!! :LOL:

My 01' has surpassed the 390k original miles mark!!. She still runs strong although I don't take her out on trips over 360 miles (RT) anymore. Just now having to replace the original radiator, but most engine parts have been replaced at least once. Radio operates on its on schedule and the antenna is stuck in the extended position. I have the same mechanic that has worked on it for the last 8 years who was a previous Toyota dealership mechanic. He know exactly what the issue is when I bring it to him. I don't think I will have a problem surpassing 400K miles but I'm pushing for 500K!

The wife thinks we've got our moneys worth out of it, which we have, but I'm pushing for a little more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’ve own my 03’ SR5 4x4 since new. Now has $260K+ on the clock and runs like new. Haven’t had a single breakdown of any major part other than standard and expected wear items. Brakes, tires (5 sets), battery, timing belt, etc... I’ve done more things to it than I can remember in my 16 year ownership. I’ll drive til it won’t. I do all my own servicing except the big stuff like timing belt and suspension work. Original motor and Trans. I love this thing!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Newbies!! :LOL:

My 01' has surpassed the 390k original miles mark!!. She still runs strong although I don't take her out on trips over 360 miles (RT) anymore. Just now having to replace the original radiator, but most engine parts have been replaced at least once. Radio operates on its on schedule and the antenna is stuck in the extended position. I have the same mechanic that has worked on it for the last 8 years who was a previous Toyota dealership mechanic. He know exactly what the issue is when I bring it to him. I don't think I will have a problem surpassing 400K miles but I'm pushing for 500K!

The wife thinks we've got our moneys worth out of it, which we have, but I'm pushing for a little more.
You can buy a new antenna on Amazon for about $20. it probably took 30 minutes to get it replaced. You have to partially remove the inner fender on the passenger side. It's a common problem on a lot of Toyotas.

I vote keep it!! I'm now at around 378k. It's going to be rotated out of the DD pool soon, so I might never see 400k. I do expect to get a few more years out of it, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
216,000 on a 2003 Ltd. is it time to upgrade or sink the scratch into it?
I don't know that I would scrap it just yet. If you make certain to perform the regular, required maintenance you are well under the half-life if a Sequoia. Probably the most important issue to perform is the timing belt every 100,000 miles. It'll cost you about a grand, but it's worth it if you have no other major issues. I have talked to several Sequoia owners who have over a half a million miles and still running great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
300,053. My brother is gobsmacked seeing that many miles on my '02, yet no rust, no tears, and the only rattle is from the pennies in the ash tray. Had fun exercising the 4x4 last weekend getting it dirty on the back roads. Also had fun in 2x4 in snow parking lots making the car yell at my lunacy! "I am a serious truck! Traction! Stability! ABS! Bong Chime Buzz! Toyotas aren't for having fun! Stop it!"

181 - 200 of 206 Posts