Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
So far, so good, although the car did "jolt" or "kick" while idling yesterday. It just happened once and wasn't severe, but it was noticeable and seemed to be transmission-related. I'm going to keep an eye on that.

I'll bet if you lube the slip yoke on the propeller shaft (drive shaft) that clunk will go away.
Manual calls for lube at the scheduled oil change interval, but I like to lube it up more frequently.
That jolt/clunk thing can be concerning when you first feel it. You can feel it when the tranny is shifting as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll bet if you lube the slip yoke on the propeller shaft (drive shaft) that clunk will go away.
Manual calls for lube at the scheduled oil change interval, but I like to lube it up more frequently.
That jolt/clunk thing can be concerning when you first feel it. You can feel it when the tranny is shifting as well.
Good call, I have felt it with the shift. From the threads I see, it looks like it's a pretty common issue that doesn't appear to pose a problem (beyond annoyance). I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
238,000 miles on a 2001, original owner. Have replaced brakes many times, rear window stopped working multiple times, rear door handle 3 times (last time with the metal version), high beam indicator inoperative (according to TSB EL007-01 we are one of the "rare cases" ;-), drive indicator inopertive, numerous plastic trim pieces broken off, probably due to the Texas heat. We had an O2 emissions sensor fail. We are fighting a set of electrical problems introduced when we replaced the rear door handle. I plan to post that on another thread. I would buy another Sequoia if they offer a clean-burning diesel option.
they won't; not in the US for sure!

·
Registered
13 Posts
  1. Last week, I bought an '06 with 88,000 miles. I had hoped to get one with 50K or less, but I've been tracking availability for several weeks with no luck, the price was right on this one, and -- as someone above mentioned -- mileage on Toyotas isn't all that bad (at least, not in my experience; inlaws went over 300,000K before their daughter/my wife wrecked the car). The used car dealer offered an extended 150,000 warranty for a reasonable price, so I got that.
The first thing I did was take it to the Toyata dealer (different from the used car dealer where I bought the vehicle) to look it over for any obvious issues and get me on a maintenance schedule. Dealer gave it an A+ on mechanics and recommended that I do the 90,000 maintenance, which I did. That was expensive, but I'm glad to be starting fresh.

So far, so good, although the car did "jolt" or "kick" while idling yesterday. It just happened once and wasn't severe, but it was noticeable and seemed to be transmission-related. I'm going to keep an eye on that.

I'm also going to try to figure out how to add an AUX line. Unless I'm missing something, the after-market products that provide an AUX line all appear to be about as expensive or more expensive than a new, lower-end stereo with an AUX line built in, so I may just get a new stereo. Anyway, I saw a few threads on here about that topic, so I'll search before I ask for help.
RE: aux-in

Check out "Grom Audio" on ebay, plugs into your cd changer port on the back of your stock head unit, connects AND charges ANY iphone, ipod, ipad, allows you to skip tracks, even on pandora, via your steering wheel audio controls; very cool. There is also an additional traditional aux-in plug, which allows aux-in audio connectivity of any/all non-apple devices.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Last week, I bought an '06 with 88,000 miles. I had hoped to get one with 50K or less, but I've been tracking availability for several weeks with no luck, the price was right on this one, and -- as someone above mentioned -- mileage on Toyotas isn't all that bad (at least, not in my experience; inlaws went over 300,000K before their daughter/my wife wrecked the car). The used car dealer offered an extended 150,000 warranty for a reasonable price, so I got that.

The first thing I did was take it to the Toyata dealer (different from the used car dealer where I bought the vehicle) to look it over for any obvious issues and get me on a maintenance schedule. Dealer gave it an A+ on mechanics and recommended that I do the 90,000 maintenance, which I did. That was expensive, but I'm glad to be starting fresh.

I'm also going to try to figure out how to add an AUX line. Unless I'm missing something, the after-market products that provide an AUX line all appear to be about as expensive or more expensive than a new, lower-end stereo with an AUX line built in, so I may just get a new stereo. Anyway, I saw a few threads on here about that topic, so I'll search before I ask for help.
DON'T buy a new stereo; they're tacky, and you'll loose your steering wheel audio controls..

GROM Audio 99-05 Honda/Acura iPod Adapter FREE S&H V.2 - eBay (item 120388332740 end time Feb-24-11 23:32:06 PST)

just make sure to ask for the toyota harness; I don't see them listed but he has them..

·
Registered
7 Posts
DON'T buy a new stereo; they're tacky, and you'll loose your steering wheel audio controls..

GROM Audio 99-05 Honda/Acura iPod Adapter FREE S&H V.2 - eBay (item 120388332740 end time Feb-24-11 23:32:06 PST)

just make sure to ask for the toyota harness; I don't see them listed but he has them..
Excellent. Thanks for the info. I agree that the aftermarket stereos look tacky, and I certainly don't want to lose my steering wheel controls. I'll look into the GROM product. (looks like the toyota harness is here:
GROM Toyota/Lexus USB/iPod/iPhone/Aux Adapter Interface - eBay (item 310285929699 end time Mar-07-11 14:59:31 PST)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Could you point to a thread or explain how to lube the slip yoke? Is there a grease fitting, or do I need to just pack it in by hand?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Original owner of a 2003 Limited 4x that just turned 93,000 miles. No mechanical issues so far. I had the tranny flushed/serviced, brakes & rotors turned and struts replaced at 85K.

Just started getting an intermittent "check engine" light and "vsc off" lights for some reason. They come on for a day or two, then go away for a month. I checked all the fluids and air filter but found no issues. Reading along the forum here has me thinking an O2 sensor possibly. Hope its not a Catalytic convertor.

Kenreau

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
2003 Limited 4x4

When I bought it at 136k 14 months ago from the dealer it had new brakes, battery, and a normal oil change service.
For the 41k that I've had it:
New tires
Oil changes.

If I keep it, the TB & WP are on the list along with shocks (still original).

Cheers.
:tu:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just bought an 2002 Limited with 254K. Runs like a dream and looks brand new inside, Only issue I noticed is what I think is an exhaust manifold leak (ticking under acceleration).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just bought an 2002 Limited with 254K. Runs like a dream and looks brand new inside, Only issue I noticed is what I think is an exhaust manifold leak (ticking under acceleration).
Might want to check on the bushing on the steering rod that goes through the firewall. I bet it's torn, that's why you hear ticking. If not that, then probably manifold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Might want to check on the bushing on the steering rod that goes through the firewall. I bet it's torn, that's why you hear ticking. If not that, then probably manifold.

Thanks for the heads up, I will take a look at it. I just cleaned the Throttle body which was black so that has made a world of difference already.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I will take a look at it. I just cleaned the Throttle body which was black so that has made a world of difference already.
What did you notice throttle response, better idling? I did that with mine and didn't notice a whole lot of difference - it was black too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What did you notice throttle response, better idling? I did that with mine and didn't notice a whole lot of difference - it was black too.
I noticed it idles a little smoother and starts a little easier. I am also running a cycle of auto rx in the engine and marvel mystery oil in the fuel. I also cleaned the MAF sensor too. Did you make sure to open the plate and get far into the intake?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used some of the auto rx in my land cruiser and noticed a difference as well. I will probably also do an intake cleaning with a can of sea foam too. I know not everyone is a fan of additives, but I have found good results with those ment.ioned above. The Loucas oil products have worked great for me too, just stay away from the tranny stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
493,000 km (I think that's about 310k miles) on a 2002. What a great truck. I've replaced 5 back hatch handles, and I just had an electrical short in the tail-light harness that took the dealership about a day to track down. Other than that...brakes, oil changes, etc.
This vehicle, for me at least, has been bullet-proof. It doesn't do any heavy duty off-road, but I'm more than confident that when my wife takes it out into the desert or across snow-covered fields, it will get her (and the dogs) back in one piece. Best purchase I've ever made.

21 - 40 of 209 Posts