Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 Sequoia and I just rolled over 330,000 miles this weekend. Original engine, 1 rebuilt tranny, and a ton of new tires, oil changes and belts replaced. :)
The truck still drives great. No leaks and still has plenty of power. I plan to keep it and try to hit the 500,000 mile mark if it will make it.

I will post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
196 Posts
176k here on my 02'. Had to replaced rear window and tracks when I bought it. Rear hatch handle replaced with $15 metal one from Amazon. All fluids changed and tranny flushed several times (see my tranny thread).
This is a great truck!

Could you point to a thread or explain how to lube the slip yoke? Is there a grease fitting, or do I need to just pack it in by hand?
It's a zerk fitting. Fill it with your grease gun till you see the driveshaft half start to slide out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My daughter and her husband has a 2004 that has 255K miles. They love their Sequoia so much that they plan to keep it when the motor dies, they''ll replace it with a low mileage motor from the bone yard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 01 Sequoia Limited 4x4 with 268,000 miles. I just recently made the round trip to Austin Texas from my home in Pasadena CA. 20 hours each way only 5 stops for gas. Other than the normal maintenance (including timing belt changes) I've had the overdrive rebuilt, replaced the front cv joints, have done the rear latch twice, and recently replaced the power antennae. This truck has been the most dependable transportation I've ever owned. It rattles a lot more now but that might be because I've not been afraid to take it off road. I'd say about 30K miles of the total have been on unimproved roads or worse. The most frustrating part, has been the ABS/VSC issue that has recently cropped up. Not sure how to proceed, fix it ($$$) or get a newer version ($$$$$$$$).

·
Registered
543 Posts
At just shy of 160,000 km (100,000 mi) mine's just out of the breakin period. :D

We're planning to keep it for a looooong time.
Rolled over 200,000 (125,000) this fall. New front pads and rotors, replacement left caliper and shocks all around in December. Still smooth as silk.

·
Registered
543 Posts
What did you notice throttle response, better idling? I did that with mine and didn't notice a whole lot of difference - it was black too.
Late in 2010 the engine on our 2005 Limited began surging at idle. While researching possible causes I came across some information on cleaning the MAF sensor and throttle body. I did that (pictures here) and it made all the difference. The idle settled down and there have been no problems since.

The throttle body was filthy... I don't know if this is related to the K&N filter I installed or if it was like that when we bought it at 94,000 km (59,000 mi).

·
Registered
2 Posts
2001 SR5 4WD original owner, 329,7xx. Been parked for the last 5 months, can't afford the fuel!! No engine or tranny work, broken gear shifter/column, lots of tires, brakes and of course oil changes. These rigs eat brake pads and rotors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2002 With 215,000 first owner. Still going strong!! Mobile 1 synthetic every 5,000 since it rolled off the showroom floor! Never left me stranded and has never needed any major mechanical work done other than scheduled maintenance!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm also going to try to figure out how to add an AUX line. Unless I'm missing something, the after-market products that provide an AUX line all appear to be about as expensive or more expensive than a new, lower-end stereo with an AUX line built in, so I may just get a new stereo. Anyway, I saw a few threads on here about that topic, so I'll search before I ask for help.
Cassette tape with AUX in /3.5mm jack cord works great for me. I think I may like it better than Bluetooth in TDI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Traded in my 2001 Toyota Sequoia (Black) with 240000 on it and bought another 2001 Toyota Sequoia (Silver) with 58000 miles on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2003 Sequoia Ltd has over 314,000 miles on it and still counting. I only run full synthetic lubes (used to be only Amsoil) It's a daily driver and I've had to do the standard maintenance on it and a handful of other repairs but luckily nothing too major. I will replace it with another when the time comes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I love seeing these high miles! Makes me feel like mines a young pup with just 147k on it!, never had a Sequoia with over 200k but owned a tacoma and 2 4runners with over 200k and they still ran like new, and that is no lie in anyway. Love Toyotas!

·
Registered
3 Posts
175k on my 2003. No idea how many previous owners (at least 2). Seems to have many of the typical issues such as tailgate handle, manifold leaks/cracks, driveline growl,a and some substantial frame corrosion (given the ok and treated by Toyota).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
197k here.

Runs like a top but couldnt fix the rear speaker amp issue.

And I'm working on the ABS/VSC lights problem now. Fix is worth more than the resale value. BUT its such a solid ride.

Oh .... second tranny too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Happy to read that a lot of these have gone so far. I am the original owner of my 2001 with 114K miles. I recall waiting 3 months for it to reach my dealer and for a while, was the only Sequoia owner in my neighborhood (so many of them now!). My family and I only use it for long trips and we have been flying in the last couple of years. Will drive it again in a couple of weeks.

Only minor issues, so far: broken steering column, delaminated rear passenger window trim, brakes (1x), battery (1x), radio (replaced with used one), on 3rd set of tires (5-tire rotation/replacement), windshield replaced once (cracked by pebble on freeway). Maintenance: Mobil 1 oil and filter every 5K miles since new, 2x tranny drain and fill, 2x differential/transfer case fluid change, 2x coolant flush and fill, 1x PCV valve, 1x timing belt/water pump/thermostat, 3x spark plugs, clean/re-oil K&N filter every 5K miles.

Runs like new!

41 - 60 of 224 Posts