Toyota Tundra Forums banner

121 - 140 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 with 289,343
Bought it with 18K in 2002. The kids named her "old grey mare". It's been a wonderful vehicle. Survived oldest daughter learning to drive it and use it for high school. Speakers gone now and needs new stereo. I'm working on getting it ready for 15 year old son. We've had front seats recovered, gone through 3 rear door latches (bought and installed metal last time).
Only today on trip, 300 miles, did tranny start slipping. I stopped at stop sign, pushed on the accelerator, engine went but she didn't move. Big "clunk" then she starts moving. Heart broken and searching threads for possible problem. Plan on dropping her off for tranny flush on Monday. It's our third car and doesn't move very often.

·
Registered
44 Posts
01 Sequoia SR5
Just turned over 250k
Frame replaced by Toyota at 175k

Aside from eating brakes it's been the best car I have owned. Just dumped 2-3k in to fix the 4WD actuators. Steering rack replaced a few years ago ...

Overall, the truck was perfect but as it has been approaching 250k the repairs are getting more costly. If the tranny or anything major goes I will probably retire her. Other than that, trying to get 2 more years or 25k out of it - or more.

It's served us well as an original owner for 16 years and 250k.

·
Registered
34 Posts
2006 Sequoia Limited
Rolled over 230K
No major issues although rear air bags and front struts were replaced at 220K. Nothing else since I've owned it (from 160K onward)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought a 2004 SR5 2WD a few weeks ago off the original owner with 235K Miles on it. Florida car so very good shape underneath. Plan to use it for kid hauling and boat towing.

What I've found so far:

1) Brakes weren't stopping it well. Front Left Caliper had 4 of the 6 pistons seized. Replaced caliper, new pads all around, and a good bleeding and it is stopping much better now. It has the newer design front brakes.

2) Appears timing belt has NEVER been done even though it has been into the dealer several times for a variety of services according to the Toyota website. Previous Owner told me he didn't think 2004 Sequoias have timing belts, and I should check with the service guy he knows at the local dealer. I'm a bit surprised that the dealer wouldn't have been pushing that every time he's taken it there. That's next up to get done ASAP. Dealer quoted us $800 for TB and water pump. Plan to have them do that work because removing the crank pulley bolt after 235K miles and 13 years has me very concerned.

3) Fairly new front tires are showing wear on outer edges. Previous owner just replaced them last Fall. Looks like a worn out inner tie rod on the left side to me. However, I also noticed some grease coming out of the passenger side boot indicating a possible rack seal leak. Dealer quoted $1200 for replacing the rack so I'm probably going to do that one myself once I'm convinced it needs done. These tires will need replaced anyway, so I plan to get to it before they are completely worn out and then get two new fronts and an alignment done.

4) There's some signs of lubricant all around the dipstick pipe connection at the transmission pan. Not clear if this is from the grease blowing back out of the steering rack or a separate transmission fluid leak. It hasn't actively dripped on the garage floor so I'm hoping it's "just" from the rack leak.

5) Back window won't go down (low priority for me)

6) Drive indicator light is burnt out (low priority for me)

7) Driver's seat has lots of wear. (low priority to me)

8) Driver's side adjustment switch panel plastic mounts broke (Duct tape to the rescue)

9) 3rd row of seats were not latched in properly on the far right "hook" on passenger side. PITA but got it removed and reinstalled properly.

10) Headlights were super hazy. (Just replaced them, I'm done trying to polish headlights)

Hope to get it freshened up and get another 235K out of it! Info on this forum has been super helpful so far! Any suggestions on other items to look out for are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just bought my first toyota and its a 2002 LTD as well with 274k... one owner, well maintained, just needs some love, any suggestions on "new buyer" checklists with this many miles?

Replaced the Serpentine belt and idler pulley arm with the gates kit, plan to do Timing and water pump as well, should I go OE for parts or is the Gates kit ok for this one as well? Always had good luck with their products.

Suspension has been purchased, just waiting on shipment to arrive / install

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just purchased an '03 limited 4x4 with 337,000 miles. Overall, it is in great condition with only a few small issues. All seem common to Sequoias, based on my research here. Things like ticking exhaust, torn steering shaft boot, auto side mirrors don't work. On the upside, the rear door opens just fine and the window goes up and down! Plus, it is 100% rust free (there were slim pickings in the Limited/4x4 category!). It drives pretty well - the drivetrain feels strong but it has some shakes at highway speeds. The suspension needs a big refresh, as it seems like just about everything is original. At this point I'm just deciding on what brand components to purchase. I'm looking at ball joints, control arm bushings, steering rack bushings, stabilizer bar links, and shocks/struts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
4) There's some signs of lubricant all around the dipstick pipe connection at the transmission pan. Not clear if this is from the grease blowing back out of the steering rack or a separate transmission fluid leak. It hasn't actively dripped on the garage floor so I'm hoping it's "just" from the rack leak.
Did you figure out where the lubricant around the transmission dipstick came from? Mine has the same thing. I was reading the manual and it said that the transmission is filled through the dipstick tube, so maybe it is just a bit of spilled fluid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What suspension parts did you end up ordering?
Got entire front end parts, UCA / LCA, ITRE, OTRE's, UBJ, LBJ, Rebuilt steering rack, and suspension I chose to try the Rancho QuickLift with OME 2862 and Bilstein B8 5100 0-1" lift shocks. Just finished installing it all last weekend.. Ill post a pic, but plan on doing a build thread here soon..

Suspension cost less than $800 and my goal was spending less then $800 so I hit my mark and so far I am VERY happy with the handling and controllability of the Rancho Front end (Leveling kit gave me 2.25" and 1" rear lift) I have 285's now and they fit perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just purchased an '03 limited 4x4 with 337,000 miles. Overall, it is in great condition with only a few small issues. All seem common to Sequoias, based on my research here. Things like ticking exhaust, torn steering shaft boot, auto side mirrors don't work. On the upside, the rear door opens just fine and the window goes up and down! Plus, it is 100% rust free (there were slim pickings in the Limited/4x4 category!). It drives pretty well - the drivetrain feels strong but it has some shakes at highway speeds. The suspension needs a big refresh, as it seems like just about everything is original. At this point I'm just deciding on what brand components to purchase. I'm looking at ball joints, control arm bushings, steering rack bushings, stabilizer bar links, and shocks/struts.
Sounds like me!! Have you heard of anyone fixing the ticking exhaust or where it comes from typically? only sound I hear that annoys me now its so quite relatively

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds like me!! Have you heard of anyone fixing the ticking exhaust or where it comes from typically? only sound I hear that annoys me now its so quite relatively
From what I can tell there are two things that contribute to the sound. First of all, the driver's side exhaust manifold rusts through, towards the back cylinder, and you get a tick (loudest on acceleration, at least for me). There is also a rubber boot that insulates the steering shaft where it goes through the body. The rubber dries out and it tears, allowing a lot of noise into the cabin from under the steering wheel. There are a few threads on here about it - it sounds like a cheap part but kind of a PITA to replace. It is on my list, although pretty low at this point!!

There are some youtube videos about the exhaust leak - one guy got his welded up. There are dorman replacements available for a pretty reasonable price. Also aftermarket headers. I've found that you can really find a lot more videos if you search for Tundra instead of Sequoia. They seem to be pretty much the same.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I thought I responded to this last week - I guess the system didn't post it. Based on research on this forum and on Toyotanation, it sounds like there are two things that cause the tick. First, the manifold on the driver's side does rust - I've seen some videos on youtube where people get them welded. If you search sequoia manifold (or Tundra) you should find it. There is also a rubber boot that goes around the steering shaft where it pokes through the body. That boot gets dry and torn and lets noise in. From what I've read, its a cheap part but a PITA to change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought I responded to this last week - I guess the system didn't post it. Based on research on this forum and on Toyotanation, it sounds like there are two things that cause the tick. First, the manifold on the driver's side does rust - I've seen some videos on youtube where people get them welded. If you search sequoia manifold (or Tundra) you should find it. There is also a rubber boot that goes around the steering shaft where it pokes through the body. That boot gets dry and torn and lets noise in. From what I've read, its a cheap part but a PITA to change.

Thanks for the response, yeah after changing all the belts, pulleys bearings, front end, its super quite, minus the tick when on the throttle. Its pretty annoying actually. I was going to bring it to a buddy at an exhaust shop, just really hard to diagnose because it sounds more prevalent while driving. Ill check that boot, its like the firewall boot right? Thanks again for the ideas!

121 - 140 of 206 Posts