Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a new use for my unlimited data plan on blackberry:tu:

For the last week I really enjoedy using the new 3G 9700.
Found out recently that for people with data plans T-mobile permits to upgrade their phones every 11 month:tu:
That's what I did.
Got 3G 9700. The speed is really nice compare to 8900.

So now I use it to Stream Pandora and Slacker Radios for free.
Works really great through AUX input on a head unit, but make sure the Volume on the phone is fully UP.
Pandora does a real good job compiling play list by matching it to your favorite Artist, Song or Album.
Slacker is good too. Now it is easy to find songs for kids as well:crazy3d: since they have a dedicated stations for that. Kids are as happy as they can be:tu: since now I have songs that they listen in school.

Of course it has some draw backs. You need to pump the volume up for AUX. Can not charge the phone and play songs, since you will hear some static. If you choose to skip a song it may hang the radio (to resolve: shut off the radio and restart it) 1 out of 10 times it may do it. Drains phone battery.
Otherwise it is free. The quality is very good for my taste. Pandora probably has a better quality then Slacker.
These are my one week findings:tu:

I heard that on iPhone Slacker works in Airplane mode and it may be difficult to pick up the phone call. But I am not sure.

Do not see a very bright future for XM:amen:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Found a new use for my unlimited data plan on blackberry:tu:

For the last week I really enjoedy using the new 3G 9700.
Found out recently that for people with data plans T-mobile permits to upgrade their phones every 11 month:tu:
That's what I did.
Got 3G 9700. The speed is really nice compare to 8900.

So now I use it to Stream Pandora and Slacker Radios for free.
Works really great through AUX input on a head unit, but make sure the Volume on the phone is fully UP.
Pandora does a real good job compiling play list by matching it to your favorite Artist, Song or Album.
Slacker is good too. Now it is easy to find songs for kids as well:crazy3d: since they have a dedicated stations for that. Kids are as happy as they can be:tu: since now I have songs that they listen in school.

Of course it has some draw backs. You need to pump the volume up for AUX. Can not charge the phone and play songs, since you will hear some static. If you choose to skip a song it may hang the radio (to resolve: shut off the radio and restart it) 1 out of 10 times it may do it. Drains phone battery.
Otherwise it is free. The quality is very good for my taste. Pandora probably has a better quality then Slacker.
These are my one week findings:tu:

I heard that on iPhone Slacker works in Airplane mode and it may be difficult to pick up the phone call. But I am not sure.

Do not see a very bright future for XM:amen:
I did similar with my Storm but instead of worry about wires I added a bluetooth reciever onto my AUX port so I can add anythign else in the future with bluetooth audio if needed. I been using slacker for a while now and may try out the Pandora since its starting to grow in popularity too.

Good Job on sharing .... remined me I should try our the Pandora too.

I like how in slacker you can get on the web and create your own stations of artist and what type of music you prefer and even talk stuff if thats what your into.

I forgot to add I also ran into the issue with static and humming. It seems all toyota's have a group loop problem when charging an electronic device while your also plugged into the AUX port. Found a simple box to fix that and I show that in my thread about the module.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/159544-bluetooth-aux-input-mod-around-50-a/

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I too have been running Slacker in my truck for the last couple of months and do enjoy it. The sound from my Storm2 is even better than the radio and sounds as good or better than the cd player, not sure why that is but oh well. I need to give Pandora a try and see how that works. Thanks for the re-post of your write up, where did you get that holder for the Storm?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I charge my iPhone while using it as you described without static. I wonder if your charging cable isn't shielded, or if it has something to do with how you have your phone laying in orientation to the cable?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Definitely agree with the sentiment about not needing XM..... too bad I didn't have a choice about them screwing their antenna into my roof to remain there for the life of my truck.

Just so they could give me 3 month trial and then try to extort me; my truck has to have the XM contusion on it's head :ballchain:forever.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I charge my iPhone while using it as you described without static. I wonder if your charging cable isn't shielded, or if it has something to do with how you have your phone laying in orientation to the cable?
Who knows. I did not buy either of those cables from Blackberry. :rolleyes:
Still I've been driving for 3 hours yesterday and listening to it non stop and it dropped only one dial.

I did similar with my Storm but instead of worry about wires I added a bluetooth reciever onto my AUX port so I can add anythign else in the future with bluetooth audio if needed. I been using slacker for a while now and may try out the Pandora since its starting to grow in popularity too.

Good Job on sharing .... remined me I should try our the Pandora too.

I like how in slacker you can get on the web and create your own stations of artist and what type of music you prefer and even talk stuff if thats what your into.

I forgot to add I also ran into the issue with static and humming. It seems all toyota's have a group loop problem when charging an electronic device while your also plugged into the AUX port. Found a simple box to fix that and I show that in my thread about the module.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/159544-bluetooth-aux-input-mod-around-50-a/
I saw your write up a while ago.:first: May be I'll give it a try, or find a day to drive to VA to get even more mods done with your expertize :D .

·
E PLURIBUS UNUM
2,247 Posts
Its rf interference from your phone causing that... headphone jack (aux input type) cables and ports are extremely susceptable to that. I am willing to bet if you put your phone in airplane mode and play an song that isnt streaming, your problem goes away... Or get a shielded cable and put the phone in the glove box or something....

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Be careful, those unlimited data plans aren't really UNLIMITED, as they do have a cap.

Now, you're not going to go over that by normal usage, but if your'e driving 10 hours a day using slacker/pandora, then you might go over.

With that said, Pandora only has a 40 hr limit/mo. I'm not sure about slacker since I don't use it on my computer (Only my BB).

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be careful, those unlimited data plans aren't really UNLIMITED, as they do have a cap.

Now, you're not going to go over that by normal usage, but if your'e driving 10 hours a day using slacker/pandora, then you might go over.

With that said, Pandora only has a 40 hr limit/mo. I'm not sure about slacker since I don't use it on my computer (Only my BB).

-rockstate
We'll definitely see what they bill me at the end of the month.;)
Hopefully 1-2 hours a day will not push me over the limit. Yesterday was abnormal day, I drove to DC.
But it would be a nice discussion with T-mobile:angrywife: otherwise

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
We'll definitely see what they bill me at the end of the month.;)
Hopefully 1-2 hours a day will not push me over the limit. Yesterday was abnormal day, I drove to DC.
But it would be a nice discussion with T-mobile:angrywife: otherwise
haha you should be fine! Only reason I know this is from Spring Break last year when I was using my phone to surf the net from a laptop.

Here's what I found:

Oh No: Sprint Capping "Unlimited" 3G Data Service at 5GB - 3G - Gizmodo

Granted, that's Sprint, and I'm not sure how different T-Mobile is.

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its rf interference from your phone causing that... headphone jack (aux input type) cables and ports are extremely susceptable to that. I am willing to bet if you put your phone in airplane mode and play an song that isnt streaming, your problem goes away... Or get a shielded cable and put the phone in the glove box or something....
Those inputs for charger and AUX are next to each other on that phone, so the cables touch each other when in use. It is barely noticeable but I do not like it anyway.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
where did you get that holder for the Storm?
Standard bedside dock station you can pickup at a Verizon store or you may want to check aftermarket if you have a skin on your phone.

I saw your write up a while ago.:first: May be I'll give it a try, or find a day to drive to VA to get even more mods done with your expertize :D .
Yeah its been a while since I did it. Just a short drive away :D.
I was just through their to PA the other weekend or atleast close by on I95.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

Thanks for the post and the ideas. I have an iphone and think that I will try something. ... :D

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to give it a try this weekend with my new Droid and report back.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have the Motorola Droid and used this method via bluetooth and its awesome! I can use the skip buttons on my steering wheel to skip to the next song. I have it plugged into the USB to keep it charged and have no interference or any noise at all. Not sure if I'll have issues with Verizon and data usage and whatnot though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I also have the TMobile unlimited data on my BB. They are supposed to have a 5GB limit (also heard 10)..but they don't cap it..they throttle the speed down once you hit it.

Asked the rep on the phone and she said it was tru...but you know that they will say anything.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts