Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking back at my own frustration in finding a good set of headers for my 2005 AC tundra, I'm working on some custom headers. The question is how many people would potentially be interested in some nice equal length shorty style headers for their vvti tundra? Originally, I was wanting some long tubes, but in order to make these work I'd have to chop up my converters - want to keep these in one piece for warranty issues. Also, with long tubes you'd have to relocate the upstream O2s into the collector which for proper function might be too far away from the engine. Plus it's illegal to mess with your stock cats if there still under 5 yrs/50000 miles.

I was following some of the previous polls on having some long tubes made by s+s and possibly dynatech, but I don't think anything ever resulted from this. Should I go for it or not?

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
The lack of availability of headers for this truck has led to some serious price gouging by some manufacturers who do make them. :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lack of availability of headers for this truck has led to some serious price gouging by some manufacturers who do make them. :cry:
I agree, but I don't see a problem with paying 600-700 bucks for a well made header, which the JBAs aint for sure. After having tried 3 sets for myself I ended up not going with them - they were put together very poorly! When I was in cali last year I visited JBA's facility and was not impressed. They run that company like a sweat shop.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What shorty header would you come up with that would not cause a loss in bottom end torque for the vvti engine?

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What shorty header would you come up with that would not cause a loss in bottom end torque for the vvti engine?
The key is sizing the primaries right for the effective powerband of this engine, plus equal length piping also enhances low-midrange rpm scavenging further increasing torque. Longtubes would be even better, but require extensive mods on the stock exhaust in order for them to fit. Longtubes also don't allow proper O2 sensor placement in terms of triggering CELs and emissions legality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts