Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dumb *** question but i just have to?

why do they give you a smaller wheel when you get a TRD package..and not the 20's...

and that ugly black running board...

anyways..i know that the more tire you have in offroading the better...more flex in the side walls...is this why?

thanks
in advance

·
Registered
549 Posts

why do they give you a smaller wheel when you get a TRD package..and not the 20's...

anyways..i know that the more tire you have in offroading the better...more flex in the side walls...is this why?

thanks
in advance
That is exactly why!! For offroading, the more tire...the better. A bigger wheel simply reduces tire flex and is a poor choice for off-roading.

·
Registered
55 Posts
that is exactly why and i dont think that the running board is part of trd package cause mine came with none whatso ever.
also wanted to point out that on tacomas the trd off road has 16's and the trd sport, being a more street truck has 17's.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
The running board is not part of the TRD package. In the NW we can have with or without. I had to take a truck with it, when the truck shows up, the running board will be the 1st thing removed and put on ebay.:tu:

More side wall also lets you run substantially less pressure for more traction. Sand, mud, you name it almost everyone "airs down". Can't let much air out with 20s, unless you are running 40" tires.

·
Registered
338 Posts

thanks
in advance
Unless you like bent rims and flat tires, 18's with taller tires are the way to go fopr of road. Plus they ride better over irregular roads. 20's are smoother on good roads and handle better. Mine seems out of sorts off road and I will be taking it easy when doing so. From what I've heard other than the fog lights, the main benifit of the TRD is the Bilstien shocks. I do like the rims that come on them. I started to get the TRD, but got the TSS package.

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Yes, the more rubber between the rim and and the ground allows for more flex. My hunting and ATV buddies laugh at all the guys who run 22inch tires and wonder why they encounter blow outs when they run over a huge rock. :D There was this one guy in a Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 running 22inch tires on a very nast hunting trail and he encountered 2 blowouts during his 15 mile trip up to elk camp. He was cursing out Les Schwab for making a crappy tire and we told him it was his fault for building a "Show Me" truck and then taking it on a trail head designed for ulitarian.

·
Registered
77 Posts
who in the world wants to off road with 20's? i don't even want to use these big ol 18's. i wish 15's fit on these massive brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts