Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen it recommended time and again in the Forum. Why use the Prodigy Brake Controller at 125$ when there are many others at half the price or even less?
2nd Question: What color is the back up wire in the 7 pin connector and If I do not have backup lights on my trailer should I just "dead end" it by taping it off?

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
I have seen it recommended time and again in the Forum. Why use the Prodigy Brake Controller at 125$ when there are many others at half the price or even less?
2nd Question: What color is the back up wire in the 7 pin connector and If I do not have backup lights on my trailer should I just "dead end" it by taping it off?
Thats almost as bad as asking why is there search function? If people dont use it.
It has been explained in other posts that the prodigy is the most responsive better built and just plain and simple the best way to go. It has the plug for direct connect that others may not have.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Here is an explanation of the diiferent types of controllers out there:

"Brake controls are designed to apply the brakes of the towed vehicle (trailer). There are three types of brake controls on the market today timed, inertia, and proportional. Another type of braking system that is used for trailers is a breakaway kit.

Timed Controls
Timed based controls generate an output signal that increases over a period of time. The time based controls apply braking power at the fixed rate that is not proportional to the pressure applied to the brake pedal.

Inertia Controls
Inertia based controls work very much like Timed based control in that they apply braking power at a preset rate during normal stopping conditions with one very important difference. Inertia controls have a patented "Automatic Over-Ride" system with a separate power supply for unexpected high speed stops.

Proportional Controls
Proportional based controls offer a smooth braking response to almost any stop. Through the use of a sensing device, the brake control can determine the tow vehicle's rate of deceleration and then apply the trailer brakes to match. In other words, Proportional controls deliver power to the trailer brakes in direct relationship to the actual physical deceleration of the tow vehicle.

Breakaway Kit
A breakaway kit is designed to apply to trailer electric brakes in the event that the trailer becomes disconnected from the hitch while in motion. This kit is required in many of the States and Provinces."

I have tried 2 different proportional controllers: the Teknosha Voyager and Prodigy. The Voyager was installed by my camper dealer and, to be honest, did a fine job. It was a bit harder to set up than the Prodigy (it has to be installed level and is a bit finicky to adjust), but once set up, it worked well. When I bought my new truck and camper, I decided to install the Prodigy and see what all the fuss was about. The Prodigy doesn't care about level and was very easy to setup and adjust. Worked very well when I had both trailers and towed them with the Prodigy. Easy to adjust between the two. Given a choice between the $60 Voyager and the $100 Prodigy, the Prodigy wins hands down.

There is a fourth type of controller that is reportedly even better than the Prodigy. That is the Jordan brake controller. It actually has a cable that attaches to the brake pedal arm and it uses that to send the braking signal to the trailer. Haven't used one, but everyone that has one loves it.

If you are buying your first controller, I feel that the Prodigy (since updated to the V3) is well worth the $100.

Tom

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you rambrush and Tom. Tom,your explanation of the available types of brake controllers was great. Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out for me. I think I will give the Prodigy a try especially since it looks like such an easy install. The Jordan controller looks like it may be a bit more complicated. This site is a wealth of infomation. Thanks to people like you and Ray.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Your welcome!
I sometimes come across strong:( because so many just never search 1st.
I don't claim to ever know it all, Ray and I both go over to the rv net and I pickup ideas from others there.
Tom is the man though very knowledgable.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Prodigy gets my vote too. Easy to set up and functions very smoothly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think the prodigy is it for me to

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have had the Teknosha Voyager and Prodigy also..
Prodigy is absolutely worth the $100.. (as explained by TH)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts