Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2001 Toyota Camry Solara that I drive very infrequently now. Over the past six months, I've gone through 3 batteries. The second two were still under warranty, but I can't in good conscience continue to take advantage of a warranty when it's clearly the car, not the battery, that is the problem. If I don't turn it on and run it weekly, the battery will die after 7-10 days. I just can't imagine what is draining a new battery that quickly. It has an alarm system that came with the car and a digital clock, but other than that, nothing is on. Most times, I cannot even jump it back to life. I guess I need to get it to the dealer, but it's dead in my driveway at the moment and won't take a jump. I drove it nine days ago, but last night, it wouldn't start. Any input (other than to remember to start it every 5 days) would be appreciated. Thanks!
Have a parasitic draw test performed. That will tell you if an electrical circuit is drawing amperage from your battery when it's not running. If you do have a problem, the tech can isolate the circuit by pulling fuses one-by-one until the parasitic draw returns to normal. It's really easy to do and doesn't take much time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Every OEM battery I've had in Camrys and Trucks has lasted at least 6 yrs. Sorry if you're having trouble with one particular Model(?) but my 20+ years of experience with Toy Batteries has been nothing but positive. Now as for VWs.........a completely different answer!

And sadly, the Tundra does more sitting than moving. Up to 3 weeks at a time it doesn't get touched. But my 02 Wing and 04 FJR OEM Batteries are still functioning. Wing was built in 8/01 so that Battery is 8 yro +/-. Pretty amazing I thought! For a M/C battery.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Have had eleven Toyota vehicles since 1978. Have lived all over the world, in all types of climates and have never had to replace a battery. My 1996 4Runner had the Panasonic and was still going strong when I sold it in 2004. My wife never had any problems with her vehicles, one of which was a Lexus SC 400 sport coupe which was sold after 5 1/2 years. How you use the vehicle and its accessories has more to do with life of battery than just blaming it on a certain brand.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not sure this Topic is worth all the Debate, since Owners have such a wide variety of replacement options. Feel free to use whatever Brand you think best! Now as to Wiper Blade Replacements! THAT's an issue!

·
Registered
43 Posts
My original 01 Toyota battery just died this morning. It’s 8.5 years old, not bad!
Guess what, I charged it up w/ a 10 amp charger for 5 hrs and the battery is up and running again after a week of use. Amazing, By the way, its made by Johnson Controls

·
Registered
234 Posts
I got 10 years out of my 96 camry panasonic and the 01 tundra (purchased in 2000) is still going strong. Costco has the best
prices and warranties on batteries right now. But I'm another one that wished panasonic would sell the OEM line to the public.

Just an update, the tundra battery was still going at 14 years, but getting a little weak so I replaced it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Guess what, I charged it up w/ a 10 amp charger for 5 hrs and the battery is up and running again after a week of use. Amazing, By the way, its made by Johnson Controls
Well, said news, my 2001 original Toyota battery finally gave up. Decided to go with the Costco Kirkland battery. However, the only replacement battery they had was about a third smaller but equaled to the same original battery CCA specs. Oh well, it only cost $62.00 and comes with a 100 month warranty. Will see how long it will last here in Spokane Wa. Oh ya, after hooking it up, runs as good as new.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I find it interesting how some say the dealer True Start replacements are junk and that batteries from Auto Zone and Wal Mart are just as good or better. Not necessarily referring to comments in this thread - but web-wide.

My expereince with Auto Zone has been awful. There was a time when they would honor their 2 year replacement w/o a ton of grief - but that's long since over with. Go into an AZ now with a bad battery and it's like being questioned for a mass murder. Wal Mart is still pretty good about replacing w/o too much grief.

I find the dealer batteries to be better - last 2-3 times as long as the 2 mentioned above. A/C Delco has also been good - but the best after-market in my opionion is Deka - made by East Penn - not a mass-marketed battery such as those cranked out by Exide for every McParts place in the U. S.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2006 Tundra still has the original battery that was made by Exide. 87k miles and almost 6 years old is pretty good in my book. Wish I could find a replacement that would be as good.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Old thread, but updating:
I replaced the cold-weather package battery (not Panasonic) in my 2006 Tundra after I had cleaned up leaks twice and it had been run all the way down a few times (another story about a quirk involving cycling the ignition and the lights don't shut off automatically). It was 5 years old and would still start the truck. I just threw in a Wal-mart battery and have much easier starting now.

I also just replaced the battery in my wife's 2004 RAV4, but its still not dead. The original Panasonic battery was over 8 years old and started just fine most of the time. I noticed lights dimmed a little after shutting off the engine and occasionally after sitting it would start just a little slow. I didn't want my wife to get stuck if the summer heat finally killed the battery, and I got a Diehard Platinum for $154 on sale. I'm giving the Panasonic to a friend for solar use.

So my experience has been good life out of OEM Toyota batteries in general, but extraordinary experience with the Panasonic and some faults with the Tundra cold weather battery.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just to update my previous comments; original battery still going strong in 07 Tundra. The kicker is, this Truck sits way more than it runs over the past 30 months since I purchased a Scion.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i had an optima red top in my old 93 4runner for at least 7 yrs. i was not kind to it either. ran it down a couple of times, had issues with my alt over charging it to the point it was bubbling out the vents, sat over a couple of winters, charged it up and it kept going. my 87 corolla had the factory batt for at least 5 yrs before it died. we shall see how the one in my truck does, not sure if its factory or replacement.

lee

·
Registered
1 Posts
…I disagree with the suggestion that hot climates kill batteries…
Correct on many points Ms kathyricks, but incorrect on the chemistry of temperature and battery lifetime. See the standard Johnson Controls graphic, which correctly captures the fact — which one cannot know through personal experience, only through testing of large numbers of cases, such that statistical confidence is possible — that [ital]the hotter the mean temperature of a region, the lower the projected battery life of a lead-acid system.[/ital] Here is an example of that standard and reliable graphic, www.tiresplus.com/img/global/TiresPlus-Battery-BatteryExpectancyZone.jpg, and here is a further primer restating the following simplified explanation of the underlying mechanism, batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/can_the_lead_acid_battery_compete_in_modern_times (add http:// to the preceding web addresses). The simplest way to think about the temperature effect on lifetime is that every battery is, through its environment and its use, driven toward a thermodynamic endpoint that is inescapable (that is, its being dead). Background chemical reactions — ones unrelated to the owner's use or abuse of the battery — contribute to the rate at which this endpoint is reached. As rule of thumb the rate of chemical reactions double for every 10 deg C difference in ambient temperature, hence the hotter the environment, the faster the rate of the inescapable background chemistry that is occurring (and the shorter relative lifetime of the system). Otherwise, the well-informed, thoughtful personal experience-based observations you make, Ms k, are important, and a valued addition, alongside those of similarly broadly experienced individuals who also note the differences in OE provided parts in different locations, the narrow range of US battery manufacturers, their individual experiences with particular brands such as Interstate, as well as with issues of parasitic drain, deep cycling, etc. Cheers. Prof D.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife's o6 Solara battery dead after 22 months. My 07 Corolla battery went bad after 6 months. I live in CA so cold weather is not an issue. Anybody else have these issues?
I live in a cold weather climate (Massachusetts) and I am on my third Toyota battery since I purchased my Toyota Camry brand new in July, 2015. It wa just replaced again yesterday. I was told by the service advisor that short distance trips or letting the car sit too long was the cause of the problem. I find that hard to believe because I also have a 2011 Hyundai purchased in 2010 that did’t require a replacement battery until six years after purchase. It was also driven for short trips and used every other day like the Camry.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts