Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just an example but a good looking one... Why can't ANYONE make one of these and sell them for the Gen 1 Tundra? Better yet, one with a winch mount in the middle.. All those giant arse 2000 pound cowcatchers are great...if you have a 3/4 ton or 1 ton..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Iron Bull, and Reunel make some pretty nice bumpers...but they are similar in size to the ARB. I had the ARB on my old Tundra and the weight wasn't a problem at all. I agree with Johnny5 that you could just have a simple tube bumper made at a local shop. Now that I think of it, I did see a custom one for sale here in Utah on KSL Classifieds.com in the automotive accessories section.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The weight is just a part of it..It is HUGE and sticks out like the cowcatcher on an old train... Something that is snug and lighter in weight would be better (at least for me)..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Airbags.

If you get into an accident and the airbags don't deploy you can sue. ARB's bumpers are all designed to work with your airbag sensors which adds to the cost. This is why there are few national companies that make bumpers, and very few that make cheap ones.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think the airbags are tied into the bumper but rather a box inside that knows when there is a 'hard stop' like going from 30 to 0 instantly. I may be wrong but that is how many Jeeps work (cherokee, grand cherokee)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't think the airbags are tied into the bumper but rather a box inside that knows when there is a 'hard stop' like going from 30 to 0 instantly. I may be wrong but that is how many Jeeps work (cherokee, grand cherokee)

There's an airbag attachment on the inside of the front bumper.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
airbag sensors arent in the bumper. they are frame mounted. and its true, most, if not ALL, aftermarket bumpers will alter the way the sensor works. they may still deploy but the sensor is designed for all the energy absorbing and crumple zones afforded by the OEM bumper. a simple bumper like above is not likely to interfere enough to be an issue. but a big old ranch hand or something, yeah it could.

not only that, its not just the airbags to be worried about. a big ranch hand style bumper (and others) just transfers energy in the wrong places...put an egg inside a styrofoam container. now drop it. the egg will do ok due to the energy absorbing qualities of the styrofoam and thats how its engineered. now take that egg, put it in a metal box. sure the box probally wont dent or bend like the styrofoam did. but the egg surely will suffer. thats a pretty simplistic way to look at it. but it gets the point across.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little quote from a conversation I found:

Air bags are one of those things that have a whole new world of junk attached. Here are the basics: Air bags are triggered by a sensor, usually an accelerometer of some sort. That sensor (or that sensor combined with a computer system) detects rapped changes in acceleration. The sensors can be a variety of places, but my guess is that Toyota has them mounted on the body of the vehicle up front. So for the most part they are independent of the bumper. In many vehicles, the sensor is actually mounted in the dash.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not really arguing...Just trying to see if anyone can point out any other resources for a simple bumper and now making sure it is practical and safe.. (I have one sketched out like the one at the top, just need to wait until the guy is free in a month or so to build it.._)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am having a similar issue for my 2nd Gen Tundra.

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Other than the other factors, I don't think there's enough of a demand for the smaller fab company to make bumpers for the tundra. Good ole' supply and demand. Unless, you are a big company like ARB that can make them fairly quickly and drop some cash to make this happen. To have a smaller company make one would take a lot of time and effort to make it and make a jig for it. In the end, we are stuck with custom fab jobs for what we what want and have to pay $$$ for it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Those mystical sensors are nothing more than a magnet with a steel ball held back by it. In an accident the ball breaks loose
and makes the electrical connection on two contacts to blow the bag. I don't think they have changed the design. Chevy came
up with them back in 1974 and they have been fool proof. I have never seen them mounted to a bumper or frame. They have always been on the core support or right next to it on the aprons. I've been out of the business for several years and have made
no real attempt at keeping up with any changes though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just wanted to bump this up in case anything new has emerged in the last few months. I too am looking for a simple aftermarket bumper for my 06 AC - hell I'd even be ok with the 00-02 style chome/steel bumper. I'm just looking for something a little more durable than the plastic on the 06 - if it had a place to mount some lights that would be a bonus.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts