Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having a real problem trying to get a new Tundra and don’t understand what the problem is. I’m looking for a ’07 Tundra DC, LTD, 4WD, 5.7, Silver, with NAV, and don’t really care about other options.

I’ve been trying to order one from my local dealer since Feb 28, but all they’ve done so far is take a deposit and confuse me with “preference orders” and so on without getting a truck. They have a $500 deposit so they know I’m serious, and they’ve done a reasonable “deal”, but it’s not a deal if they can’t get the truck. As of today he has 2 possible order trades with other dealers, but this has happened unsuccessfully before so I’m not very optimistic about it. Apparently the “preference order” isn’t getting picked up by Toyota.

Why I can’t just put in an order and have them build a truck. I’ve done this in the past with GM, but the dealer is saying Toyota doesn’t work that way. What’s up? Is Toyota getting uppity now they are nearly #1 in sales? Even if so, I wouldn’t think a Silver LTD 4x4 with NAV would be that hard to come up with. At this point I don’t know whether to wait for something that doesn’t seem to be happening, wait for a ’08, or buy a Silverado next year when they have the 6 speed tranny.

And also, don’t even get me started about towing mirrors :mad:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
It's All In The MixToyota dealers have a hard time finding the exact Tundra customers want

By MARY CONNELLY | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Updated: 04/23/07, 1:50 pm et

Launching the 2007 Tundra is giving Toyota culture shock.

Buyers of Toyota's redesigned full-sized pickup are acting like buyers of domestic trucks. They demand specific features, colors and trim levels, says Jim Farley, Toyota Division's former group vice president of marketing. Late last week, Farley became general manager of Lexus Division.

It's a switch for a company whose customers typically accept whatever is available from lean inventories of the Camry and other popular models, Farley concedes.

Tundra customers "say, 'I want the off-road package with the black leather interior,' " Farley told Automotive News. "They have a build-to-order mentality that we are not used to at Toyota."

Toyota is swapping Tundras among sales regions and allowing dealers to change build orders to meet customer demands, Farley says.

Domestic-brand dealerships traditionally carry much larger inventories than Toyota retailers, Farley says. As a result, he says, "customers can literally walk down a row and say, 'That's my truck.' "

By contrast, Farley says, Toyota dealers are unaccustomed to hearing customers say: "I want your CrewMax, but I am not going to buy it until I see it."

Toyota is using a flexible vehicle pool to manage Tundra inventory, Farley says. "A dealer in Ohio calls the distribution manager and says, 'Can you flip the red one I have with the black one I want?' "

Local dealer trades also are possible, he says. But they are not always successful, given variations in Tundra configurations.

Dealers can make minor changes in build orders, such as vehicle color, a week before production, Farley says. They also can file special orders.

Toyota is working to accommodate more complex changes quicker, Farley says. But he notes that the redesigned Tundra has 31 models compared with 16 in the version it replaced: "The complexity is enormous."

·
Registered
536 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. I searched for that Silver Limited DC Tundra for 2 months before giving up and going with the Slate. Most dealers have few if any with NV. You may need to be more flexible with color choice.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
as the article stated, this isnt new news, you have never been able to get your exact truck on demand. We can request , we can order, we can trade but most of all, WE CAN PRAY. Toyota's system is not designed for that. Just in time production, which is the toyota motto, doesnt allow massive stock piles of what customers might possibly want. They only make as many as they know they will sell and adjust as demand allows them too. That is how they got to number one. By not stock piling stuff and flooding dealers with vehicles that they cant sell

You can get it, IT JUST TAKES PATIENCE AND A DEALER THAT WILL KEEP TRYING FOR YOU. GOOD LUCK WITH BOTH OF THOSE

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...You may need to be more flexible with color choice.
Good point, but I did that with my last Tundra and it bugs me every time I see one the color I wanted. I plan on keeping it a long time and don't want to pay 40-large for a truck I don't really want.

... you have never been able to get your exact truck on demand. We can request , we can order, we can trade but most of all, WE CAN PRAY. Toyota's system is not designed for that. Just in time production, which is the toyota motto, doesnt allow massive stock piles of what customers might possibly want...
I can understand that, but a DC 4x4 Silver LTD with NV isn't asking for the world. As much as I'd like to specify every little item, I understand the manufacturing issues and would take one with some stuff I don't have on my wish list.

Why can't Toyota look at the preference order and say "we're building one that's close, ask if the customer wants it" instead of "not this time, the customer will have to wait more than the 2 months he's been waiting already. And we're not going to tell him when we will build it, or even IF we will build it"? If they aren't going to build one that's close, just freekin' tell me and I'll go somewhere else.

I guess I'll just have to either not buy another Toyota like my wife is tell me to do, or keep on waiting for some undetermined time which may be never. ...Unless one of the dealers on this forum has one they'd like to get rid of...?? :D (Hopefully in the Northeast or near a airport hub).

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Nav system that is offered by Toyota is good however; you can do much better by having the pioneer AVIC-Z2 it beats the Toyota Nav System hands down and you can get it at Camera Pros for $1499 this is a system that retails for $2200:cool:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I put my order in for mine in mid March.
About 2 weeks ago my dealer said he now has access to his list of trucks that Toyota wants to send to him and can change the options, so he changed the options on a similar truck and now has a build date on mine!

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
The Nav system that is offered by Toyota is good however; you can do much better by having the pioneer AVIC-Z2 it beats the Toyota Nav System hands down and you can get it at Camera Pros for $1499 this is a system that retails for $2200:cool:
But you don't get the bluetooth, aux-in, rear view camera, or steering wheel controls... plus you get to deal with the greater chance of break-ins...

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
But you don't get the bluetooth, aux-in, rear view camera, or steering wheel controls... plus you get to deal with the greater chance of break-ins...
Thats not entirely true. I am looking at a Nav system to put in mine because i din't like the toyota one. It has bluetooth, aux-in, rear view camera, and has hook-ups for the steering wheel controls and its only $1300 by pioneer. Its also touch screen just like the factory. I was told all i had to do was buy the factory tailgate handle with the camera and they could wire it to my new nav when i get it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is the specifications on the Pioneer's AVIC-Z2 (I think I know what I am talking about)
The next generation of the ultimate in HDD navigation and multimedia is here. Pioneer's AVIC-Z2 is a double-DIN size, all-in-one system equipped with a 30GB hard disk drive (HDD) to deliver information, entertainment, and convenience on the road. Between the Z2's ultra-fast processing and the massive Tele Atlas database offering 12 million points of interest, getting where you need to be has never been so easy. And with a built-in HDD music library, DVD playback on the large 7-inch display, and iPod direct control expansion, the Z2 ensures that you'll be entertained every minute along the way.
What's New
For 2007, the AVIC-Z2 replaces the AVIC-Z1 featuring all of the powerful capabilities of its predecessor, while adding some cool new enhancements, including:
§ Point Addressing
The AVIC-Z2 takes advantage of a new mapping feature, Point Addressing. Many destinations are now geocoded to a precise location, rather than to an address range, making routing more precise than ever before.
§ 3D Landmark Icons and Updated POI Icons
The AVIC-Z2's graphic map interface features 3D landmark icons for airports, amusement parks, golf courses, stadiums, and zoos. POI icons appear on the map en route, making it easy to identify the locations closest to your path.

§ Traffic Icons and Traffic Flow Lanes
An enhanced display of traffic conditions of a 1.0 ~ 2.5-mile map scales provides maximum navigation efficiency.

§ Bluetooth Voice Operation*
Dial any of your programmed entries on the internal hard disk phone book with a simple voice command.
*Requires use of ND-BT1 adapter

Smarter Navigation and Familiar Path Routing
The AVIC-Z2 uses a "smart routing algorithm" to analyze and assess routes by taking into account current road data - such as posted speed limits, number of turns to the destination, etc. - and recommends the most efficient path. It also conveniently "remembers" your frequently traveled roads and uses that personal historical information to help you navigate.

Smarter Voice Recognition
The AVIC-Z2's advanced voice recognition makes voice command easier than ever. You can search for destinations by saying a name - like "LAX" - without having to specify a category, such as "airport." Full address searches can be done by saying the city name, street name, and address. The system can also accept multiple commands, such as "go to LAX and display San Francisco." In addition, the system can recognize a larger vocabulary than ever, letting you use alternative words for the same command - such as "go to" or "search," instead of "destination." Voice commands for A/V sources and other attachments like Bluetooth wireless-enabled cell phones are just as easy.

Follow Your Guide
The AVIC-Z2 uses a Text-to-Speech (TTS) engine and Tele Atlas phoneme data, which enables the system to accurately pronounce street names during voice guidance. For example, the system will pronounce "turn right on La Jolla Street" with an "H", greatly improving its assistance ability.

Store Songs Internally. Command Playback Vocally.
Want quick access to tons of songs? The AVIC-Z2 allows use of up to 10 gigabytes of its HDD space for a music library. You can listen to music while at the ripping and storing tracks at 4 times the playing speed. The system also includes the Gracenote CDDB™ Music Recognition Service, which automatically "tags" the music you record with the artist name, song title, genre, and album title. This allows you to conveniently access songs by simply saying the artist name, song title, genre, or album title.

Go Wireless with Bluetooth*
Take your hands off your phone and call safer using the AVIC-Z2 with Bluetooth wireless-enabled cellular phones for easy, hands-free operation, which allows you to talk via the headunit's microphone and your vehicle's speaker system. To make calling even easier, you can store the phone book on the Z2's hard disk and access it by voice or the touch screen display. For even greater convenience, you can access phone numbers associated with the POI database, letting you call the location you are being guided to.
*Optional ND-BT1 adapter required
"Factory-Fit" Style
There's no need to worry about the AVIC-Z2 looking good in your dash. The Z2 is designed for a perfect fit in many vehicles that feature a "double-DIN" size. The system seems to melt into the dashboard, providing a fit and finish similar to factory systems. The front panel is motorized to provide access to the hidden disc slots, and the default position can be set to any of 6 choices for the optimum viewing angle.

Just a Touch Away
Using Pioneer's navigation system is a snap. Just touch large, bright icons on the screen to navigate menus, plot routes, or change map views. An easy to read status indicator provides current location information, turn distances and approximate time to destination. The touch screen has extremely fast response rates and a wide viewing angle.

Best Seat in the House
Besides being a navigation system, the AVIC-Z2 is a full-featured mobile entertainment hub. The built-in DVD/CD player allows you to play either DVD Video (for the rear seat entertainment capability), or CDs with audio or MP3 files. If you're a radio listener you'll get great sounding AM/FM radio from the high-performance Supertuner IIID tuner and you can expand the Z2 with a digital satellite radio tuner to enjoy even more music options on XM or Sirius Satellite Radio. Whatever your media preference, the music comes alive with maximum power (MOSFET50) and sound performance (Easy EQ).

Connect and Direct Your iPod
If you're the type to listen to your iPod everywhere you go, you'll love the ability to access your iPod library through your car stereo via the AVIC-Z2. The Pioneer iPod adapter (CD-IB100II) allows direct control and playback of iPod via the large touch panel display. Easily connect an iPod via this dedicated adapter and using the intuitive on-screen interface, listeners can scroll through the iPod library and play music.

Watch Your Vehicle's Rear
Keep an eye on your backside using the optional Rear View Camera (ND-BC2). Two rear-view modes are offered: while you're in reverse the rear-view camera can be in full screen. Or while moving forward, you can also see what's behind you with the rear-view split screen, which displays both the navigation map and the rear-view camera image.

Traffic? Never Fear
Fighting traffic will never be the same again. Using the available GEX-P10XMT XM NavTraffic Satellite Radio Tuner, XM NavTraffic™* powered by NAVTEQ Traffic allows Pioneer Navigation Systems to serve as a powerful tool in helping understand traffic conditions and routing the driver to their destination, avoiding traffic congestion. If there is a traffic jam on the route to your destination, the Navigation System will automatically alert you, and suggest any alternate route found by the unit.

Any Questions?????:cool:

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Thats not entirely true. I am looking at a Nav system to put in mine because i din't like the toyota one. It has bluetooth, aux-in, rear view camera, and has hook-ups for the steering wheel controls and its only $1300 by pioneer. Its also touch screen just like the factory. I was told all i had to do was buy the factory tailgate handle with the camera and they could wire it to my new nav when i get it.
Well, I was comparing the AVIC-Z2. Even then you can get the bluetooth unit for the nav system, it's an extra 200 and it won't work with the steering wheel controls. You can hook up most of the steering wheel controls with the PAC adapter, but not all of them (phone). And of course, installation... if you don't get a good installer you can end up with headaches... I mean, don't get me wrong, you're going to get a better value after market no question. For the price you were quoted, you're probably talking about the AVIC-D3? Still a great unit, and probably the best value out there, but I'm just saying that the factory unit has some pluses that the you don't get if you just buy the unit from some website.

*edit* This really isn't the place for this discussion. The OP wants a truck, the way he wants it. Let's just leave it at that.

*edit2* Oh, Ademadude, if you ever get an update on this
I was told all i had to do was buy the factory tailgate handle with the camera and they could wire it to my new nav when i get it.
I'd love to hear about it. I didn't think this was possible but if it is, I'll probably just go aftermarket. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Casynlisa, Stuff, and Ademadude1960, the add-a-NAV is certainly worth considering. My local dealer has nearly the truck I'm looking for but without the NAV. I'll look into the add-on to see if maybe that would be a quicker route to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started looking back in late Feb, all the dealers in the SF Bay Area only received 7 or 8 Tundras and most only had 1 4X4. I wasn't too particular in color but by the time I made up my mind to buy one each dealer that had one was sold out. I finally located one in Redwood City Ca. It is Black, looks cool when it's clean but that only lasts a day....if there were more on the market I would have gotten a silver one. But hey, I've had mine for a month and a half and I love it! I've only seen one other 4X4 on the road and of all places it was in Vegas when I was on vacation! I have the 5.7 w/4.13 rears, this thing has power! I still get 15.5mpg, (same as my 2000 Silverado I traded in). I haven't had a chance to tow my boat yet but I don't think there will be any problem.

My only quirk with the truck is the standard 6CD changer. Occasionally it gets stuck and has an error message, a couple of bangs on the dash board seems to fix it. I need to take it in to have it checked out but I have so much fun driving the darn thing I don't want to leave it in the shop!!

Ow well basically I love my truck!
Haywoood

·
Banned
8,335 Posts

Click on the pict view video feed on my system...

Wrong>>>>>>I have xm traffic navi, bluetooth back up camera and sirus and more features toyota can't provide like playing dvd and having navi all on the same unit this unit mulit task very very well..

The Pioneer z1/z2 is the best navi on the planet Toyota system are lame to say the least on features you gain NO Xm traff navi you have No Hdd Harddrive which you can talk to the z1/z2 and say music search and Top gun and the navi finds that and plays it overall You can gain steering wheel controls that mod is plug and play with aftermarket and the Greater chance of a break in is Bs like the factory doesn't have that chance they all do :rolleyes:

Ademadude1960 is also a personal friend and I mentioned to Him avoid the Navi on his new crew max which I'm glad he did. I'm not very key on Toyota radio's and navi system I find them very slow based on features and Technology.My Pioneer Z1 run's over the Toyota system based on features and for a $2,800 in my region Toyota navi ain't worth the money..

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
*edit2* Oh, Ademadude, if you ever get an update on this

I'd love to hear about it. I didn't think this was possible but if it is, I'll probably just go aftermarket. Thanks. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah i was told i just had to get the factory tailgate handle with the camera and they can wire it into my new navi when i get it. My dealer told me that all the trucks are wired to be able to run the camera its just a matter of plug and play pretty much. I am hopping to have all this stuff done soon. 1st my subs..then exhaust..then the navigation so should not be to far off ;)

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I'm starting to remember why I don't post much... either I can't get my point across well or people just don't read my posts. :clown:

Wrong>>>>>>I have xm traffic navi, bluetooth back up camera and sirus and more features toyota can't provide like playing dvd and having navi all on the same unit this unit mulit task very very well..

The Pioneer z1/z2 is the best navi on the planet Toyota system are lame to say the least on features you gain NO Xm traff navi you have No Hdd Harddrive which you can talk to the z1/z2 and say music search and Top gun and the navi finds that and plays it overall You can gain steering wheel controls that mod is plug and play with aftermarket
I didn't say these aren't possible to add. I said, for the $1499 that was quoted above, you don't get those. I said you can add those, but they cost extra.

and the Greater chance of a break in is Bs like the factory doesn't have that chance they all do :rolleyes:
If you're saying that factory radios are just as likely to be stolen as aftermarket, well, I guess we'll just disagree on that...

Ademadude1960 is also a personal friend and I mentioned to Him avoid the Navi on his new crew max which I'm glad he did. I'm not very key on Toyota radio's and navi system I find them very slow based on features and Technology.My Pioneer Z1 run's over the Toyota system based on features and for a $2,800 in my region Toyota navi ain't worth the money..
I never said the toyota nav was better... and in fact, I've said that aftermarket is a better value. The Z1 and Z2 are obviously a superior units... not only as nav units but radios as well. But they also sticker for 2200. You can find them cheaper, obviously, I think the cheapest I've found from a well-reviewed online site was 1750ish... that's without the pac adapter for the steering wheel controls, without the bluetooth adapter, without installation, etc.

Also keep in mind that the Nav is only a 1650 MSRP/1368 invoice option for the limited. The OP is looking for a limited.

Plus, the 3 dollars more on a payment per month vs a 2k charge on a credit card is more appealing to some, situations differ. (I know you can get the dealer to add it to the payment, but then you have to pay his prices)

BUT, I didn't realize before this thread that the Toyota NAV doesn't support XM traffic... that is really weak. And dangit, the AVIC-D3 doesn't either. *sigh* I was ready to pull the trigger on one of those for my car... I guess I have to get the Z2... *edit* Hrmm, the Pioneer site says the D3 does support XM traffic, nevermind.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
after being asked to research this same issue. I checked the inventories of all the dealerships in California and there was only 29 limited with nav 4x4s available in the entire state. So chances are here, that it would be hard to get. I currently dont have any. just fyi

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
after being asked to research this same issue. I checked the inventories of all the dealerships in California and there was only 29 limited with nav 4x4s available in the entire state. So chances are here, that it would be hard to get. I currently dont have any. just fyi
Any in Sliver? Mybe the break-in period would be driving it accross country. I ASSume my dealer has the same research tools as you for checking potential inventory on the east coast? He did mention PA for one of the possibilities that didn't pan out, so he might be checking, I hope.

The Pioneer z2 sounds real good (far better than the Toyota), but I'm wary of it not being covered under the truck warrenty, and the potential headaches of getting a proper install with the hookup for the Toyota backup camera, steering wheel switches, bluetooth, etc. I don't have a real warm & fuzzy feeling with our local stereo installers. Also I plan on keeping this truck for quite a while, and I've had more issues with aftermarket stereo equip than OE stuff over the long run.

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
I'm starting to remember why I don't post much... either I can't get my point across well or people just don't read my posts. :clown:

I didn't say these aren't possible to add. I said, for the $1499 that was quoted above, you don't get those. I said you can add those, but they cost extra.

If you're saying that factory radios are just as likely to be stolen as aftermarket, well, I guess we'll just disagree on that...

I never said the toyota nav was better... and in fact, I've said that aftermarket is a better value. The Z1 and Z2 are obviously a superior units... not only as nav units but radios as well. But they also sticker for 2200. You can find them cheaper, obviously, I think the cheapest I've found from a well-reviewed online site was 1750ish... that's without the pac adapter for the steering wheel controls, without the bluetooth adapter, without installation, etc.

Also keep in mind that the Nav is only a 1650 MSRP/1368 invoice option for the limited. The OP is looking for a limited.

Plus, the 3 dollars more on a payment per month vs a 2k charge on a credit card is more appealing to some, situations differ. (I know you can get the dealer to add it to the payment, but then you have to pay his prices)

BUT, I didn't realize before this thread that the Toyota NAV doesn't support XM traffic... that is really weak. And dangit, the AVIC-D3 doesn't either. *sigh* I was ready to pull the trigger on one of those for my car... I guess I have to get the Z2... *edit* Hrmm, the Pioneer site says the D3 does support XM traffic, nevermind.[/QUOTE
]

What i was trying to say is research before your post so please don't take that as a direct attack. Your right the Pioneer blue tooth unit BT1 cost Me $100 more but the system is indeed worth the cost on the add on's and Toyota navi have add on too like xm that is not standard. If Toyota was like Honda and provided xm with free services for 6 mo on the top of the Line Limited I wouldn't have issues with there system but again technology wise your next to low Budget as this gets with a Toyota old school dvd Navigation system.Toyota system are DVD ROM that is low budget Next to replacement with Hdd behind superiors in almost every detail do the research it will point that out.I know a lot about this topic because I research this out every year and Read up about the details at Sema. I also have 2 toyota's with factory and Non factory the PIoneer being the better of the 2...

Edit I also talke with Brandan about the Rear view camera on his crewmax he is going to tied into the factory rear view back up camera and tie that into the Pioneer Z2.....

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Word Of Advice If You Are Using Aftermarket Stereos Or Navs. Save The Old One Because You Truck Is Not Worth As Much In A Trade In With Aftermarket Because It Can Not Be Certified By Toyota Without A Toyota Stereo. So When You Know You Are Going To Trade It In, Pop The Old One Back In

1 - 20 of 27 Posts