Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone explain to my why I can't have toyota tow mirrors installed at the dealership. What happens if someone that all ready had tow mirrors, damages them and needs them replaced????

I am not bashing the truck, I think this truck rocks, but I would like to know what is so different about to mirrors that they can not be changed out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was told by my dealer that I could swap out mirrors at the dealer. I have the tow mirrors and was curious about swapping for the standard mirror. The tech told me that all of the wiring harnesses were the same and the plates to mount them were the same also. You might push the service manager some more. I think they are still learning as they go. I am in the middle of trying to swap steel styled wheels for TRD wheels and that is causing the dealer some problems also. They just don't have any experience yet.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I asked 3 different dealers the same thing, two said they could be swapped, one said they couldn't. I sent an E-mail to Toyota.com...their answer is below. It still doesn't make sense why they can't be swapped.

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We apologize for your concern in finding the vehicle of your choice.

Unfortunately, the tow mirrors are factory installed and cannot be switched out with the standard heated mirrors.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200704060677. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Brandi Galindo-Cherry
Toyota Customer Experience

·
Registered
595 Posts
Unless they use a different door structure for each type I can't see why you couldn't swap mirrors?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Given that most dealers will tell you that they can install practically any factory option aftermarket (ie nav, moonroof, seats, leather, DVD player), I would be wary of anything that some say that they can not do. Perhaps it's just that they can't do it at a profit. However, since they seem to charge as much as $1000 for tow mirrors as an option, this would be hard to believe.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Given that most dealers will tell you that they can install practically any factory option aftermarket (ie nav, moonroof, seats, leather, DVD player), I would be wary of anything that some say that they can not do. Perhaps it's just that they can't do it at a profit. However, since they seem to charge as much as $1000 for tow mirrors as an option, this would be hard to believe.
Heated power tow mirrors show as a $220 option everytime I have looked. Where are you seeing $1k?

I also asked the local dealer and they said factory only. I asked the parts guy, they said factory only. I asked, what if my factory mirror breaks, how do I get another one. He made a phone call and then gave me info on aftermarket mirrors. What in the h#ll is going on with tow mirrors. Sometimes Toyota's baffling behavior exceeds their arrogance in selling vehicles.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Buy a set and do them yourselves. Ask the tech for the service manual pages that deal with the side-view mirrors (should be able to print them out from an online resource for you.) I did this in my Corvette...I bought some aftermarket dash pieces and the tech gave me the schematics/tech sheets, so that I could do the install myself without screwing anything up.:)

Good luck...oh FWIW, my dealer said that they could install them.:)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The window sticker on the DC I just bought listed the Tow Mirrors as a $90.00 option, installed at the factory.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I had to look around to find the $975 Tow Mirrors that I vividly remember:

Here's a 4X4 with an MSRP of $45,188.00

50 State Emissions $0

Front And Rear Mudguards $60

Tow Mirrors: Manually Extendable, Power $975
Custom Tape Stripe $99
Bed Extender $320
Cold Kit: Heavy Duty Battery, Heavy Duty $100
  • <LI nd="79">Heavy Duty <LI nd="80">Starter <LI nd="81">Heavy Duty Anti-Corrosion Protection
  • Windshield Wiper De-Icer W/Timer
Trd Offroad Package: Offroad-Tuned $70
  • <LI nd="83">Suspension <LI nd="84">Bilstein Shocks <LI nd="85">Unique 18" Alloy Wheels W/P275/65r18 Bf Goodrich Tires <LI nd="86">Engine And Fuel Tank Skidplates <LI nd="87">Front Tow Hook
  • Trd Offroad Package Graphics
Front And Rear Clearance Sonar $500

Texas Edition $2,439
  • <LI nd="90">Door Sill Enhancements <LI nd="91">20 Inch Chrome Wheel And Tire Upgrade <LI nd="92">Running Boards <LI nd="93">Custom Carpeted Floor Mats <LI nd="94">Texas Edition Badging
  • (Factory Alloy Wheel Credit)
This one came from a local dealership (Gulf States Toyota). I don't think they are configured this way anymore - I checked.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Boy, those prices sure seem high. I am looking at my window sticker...just bought the truck last Saturday. Guess everything is bigger in Texas!

BU Cloth Bucket Seats, etc. $605.00

CK Cold Kit $ 100.00

DS Deck Rail Sys. $ 135.00

AA 18" Alloy Wheels $ 910.00

MG Mud Guards $ 60.00

RL Daytime Running Lights $ 40.00

TM Tow Mirrors $ 90.00

WR Sliding Rear Window $ 345.00

G7 Underseat Storage $ 125.00

CT All weather door mats/Sill
Protector $162.00

·
Registered
848 Posts
its funny you want them installed and i want them removed .. i am planning on buying a set of the Limited power folding mirrors when i have a chance and install them .. i know its not going to be a direct bolt on and go but it cant be that hard to install

unless the connectors are different i dont see a reason they cant install them at the dealer

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I had to look around to find the $975 Tow Mirrors that I vividly remember:

Tow Mirrors: Manually Extendable, Power $975
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wonder if those were installed by Gulf States? I'd like to see the actual window sticker to see that price on the factory side of the sticker, versus the distributor sticker to the right. If dist installed, it proves they can be installed.
Most all factory mirrors will fit/interchange, but sometimes the inner door skins are reinforced for heavy/high wind drag, much larger mirrors. This can be the reason Toyota says no fit even though they will bolt up. If someone gave that VIN to a parts counterperson it would show what it shipped out with.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
LRH...not disputing your "Tow Mirrors: Manually Extendable, Power $975", but the difference between $975 on your sticker and $90.00 on mine is quite a markup! My dealer had no dealer add-ons, and just the factory sticker with a discounted price, plus the April Toyota incentives. Plus, I got almost twice what I expected for my trade-in. Paid off to shop around.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
There is still at least one CrewMax Ltd. with the $975 Tow Mirrors in the Gulf States inventory system. :

Champion Toyota Austin Texas Toyota Dealer South Texas Toyota Dealer Autonation Toyota Dealer New Toyota Used Toyota Preowned Toyota Pre-Owned Toyota Certified Toyota Cars Toyota Trucks Toyota SUV’s Toyota Sales Toyota Service Toyota Parts Toyota F

Tow Mirrors: Manually Extendable, Power
  • Power
  • Adjustable
  • Heated
  • With Turn Signals (Replaces Standard Equipment Mirror. Deletes Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel. Deletes Seat / Outside Mirror / Steering Wheel Memory).
$975

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ask a local vehicle collision repair shop.

Stop by a collision repair garage and ask them what they would charge to swap mirrors for you. They do this all the time with wrecked vehicle. i bet they can do this for 2-hours labor. It probably would cost around $100-125. total for the work order.

I ordered the CrewMax SR5 with the Tow Mirrors. I hope I like them.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
LeeinAZ; Did you read all the posts? I do not own, nor have ever seen the truck or invoice on the aforementioned truck. I was just WONDERING if perhaps the truck StatCoder was speaking of might have possibly have had by some chance mirrors installed at some point other than the factory. It was/is after all a Gulf States vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Re: Ask a local vehicle collision repair shop.

I ordered the CrewMax SR5 with the Tow Mirrors. I hope I like them.
You will love the tow mirrors. :tu: ;)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
LRH....went back and re-read them all....sorry, I had assumed you had actually seen a vehicle that listed the $975 mirrors. My mirrors are manually extendable. The mirrors on the CrewMax Limited are power extendable, so they are probably more than my 90 dollar manually extendable ones....but then with the power extendable mirrors you lose all the power memory functions of the driver's seat, power tilt/telescope wheel, etc. Can't figure that one out!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im new on here and wanted to say hi to everyone. I do work as a toyota salesman and have bought a DC. The reason you can't change is the connectors. Next time you are in the dealership as to see the schematics on both. VERY DIFFERENT>

1 - 20 of 39 Posts