Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, this is what happen. Got to work early so i decided to drive over a little hill we have acroos the street from work, which i had done it before with no problem, by the way my truck is 2wd.make a long story short, got stuck bcuz it rained the day before:eek: , left rear wheel digged a whole but my left right didn't , the reason a got stuck was because it didnt. Tow truck pulled me out. The differential was just hanging on the dirt, you could rock the truck! the truck is fine thank God but why didn't my left right tire didnt move :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Do you have a limited slip or locking diff?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think so , i dont have any buttons in the truck, so i can turn it off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
where can i buy it? and how much are they? would it make sense to stop the wheel that is spinning and lock and let the one that is not spining spin ?:eek:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
The way a standard open differential works is that the same amount of torque is applied to both drive wheels while the speed of the wheels is allowed to vary(This is needed because in turns the wheels spin at different speeds and if there was no differential things would get ugly). If one has less traction it will slip reducing the amount of torque required to spin the wheel.

Put it this way. One wheel is in the air and only takes X torque, lets say 20 foot lbs , to drive the wheel at some high speed (which does no work since it is spinning with no traction), and the other is in the mud where 20 foot pounds is not enough to move the truck out or get that wheel to slip.

Electronic limited slip uses a standard differential and the ABS system to apply the brake only to the wheel that is slipping to increase the torque required to spin it, which increases the torque to the wheel with traction until it can get you out of the mud. Get it. Other systems like Limited slip are different in operation but similar in result. There are styles that use clutches, gears, and dilatant fluids (Viscous).

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
where can i buy it? and how much are they? would it make sense to stop the wheel that is spinning and lock and let the one that is not spining spin ?:eek:
You got it :p.

That's what they do...if you're only really on the road and occasionally wind up in the ditch, get the Toyota LSD. If you're working on a farm, fire roads, or playing in the mud/sand, get an auto-locker, or if you can justify the cost, an ARB air locker.

Sorry, don't know the cost offhand. Usually a few hundred bucks.

-Sean

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts