Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that every day there are more and more people installing lift and leveling kits to their new Tundras and I have to wonder why. :confused:

Personally, I like that they're much lower and easier to get into than all the other full size trucks. :):tu:

Do those of you who lift and level not like the factory ride that much?

If I had wanted a high (especially in the rear) truck I would have gotten the high-in-the-air Ford F150. :p

One of the best features of the new Tundra is that it's a low rider. The low height is the last thing I'd change.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is this a "rant"?

I was just looking for opinions and wondering why some don't like the low ride of the Tundra.

As I said, I like the lower feel and ease of entry.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I like the way my Tundra looks - ride height included. I wouldn't mind if the seat was a little lower to the ground - I would probably wear the edge of the seat less getting in and out. (Yes I have the seat all the way down, but I have little short legs.)

I've had steps on several trucks, but this is the first time that I use them for anything other than washing the roof.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Can't you tell??? It is the latest "Fad" everyone and their wife wants a lifted truck. I have stated many times that I cna not wait for the fad to go back to lower vehicles so My lifted (before it was cool) trucks will not be just like every other yuppies truck.

All the cool kids are doing it. Why wouldn't you? Sheep:eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've seen you mention the "low height" several times and I wonder, are you being sarcastic? I don't think the Tundra is low at all. I've parked next to '06 Tundras, F-150's, and other trucks & the Tundra is either as high or higher. I don't understand what you're getting at??? It seems that you don't like your truck very much... I for one think the height is fine & looks great.

And alot of people like to lift their trucks to make them different, not necessarily cuz the stock height is too low. I'd lift mine to make it stand out from the stock ones out there but I won't fit in my garage then. I barely fit as it is with the stock height.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've noticed that every day there are more and more people installing lift and leveling kits to their new Tundras and I have to wonder why. :confused:

Personally, I like that they're much lower and easier to get into than all the other full size trucks. :):tu:

If I had wanted a high (especially in the rear) truck I would have gotten the high-in-the-air Ford F150. :p

One of the best features of the new Tundra is that it's a low rider. The low height is the last thing I'd change.
Lifted trucks look much better than stock-height trucks! I can't wait to see a new 07 Tundra lifted 6". Any of them out there yet?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Can't you tell??? It is the latest "Fad" everyone and their wife wants a lifted truck. I have stated many times that I cna not wait for the fad to go back to lower vehicles so My lifted (before it was cool) trucks will not be just like every other yuppies truck.

All the cool kids are doing it. Why wouldn't you? Sheep:eek:

isnt this really the wrong way to look at it ?? when you think about all the yuppies as you put it . buying lift kits that makes the manufactures more money and then they have more money for R&D to make better products for you .. they are making it cheaper for you to offroad ...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a real simple reason, I needed alittle more clearance to do do some off roading. My first off roading with this truck costed $181.00 for a new trailer wiring harness after mine got ripped off. I dont extreme off road, but alittle bit more clearance helps for the trails i do run makes a difference. And makes it alittle harder for my mother in law to get in:p

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Unless you're wheeling it, there is no use for a lift. And these are not really "wheeling" trucks if you ask me. I'd love to put my 4.7L in my 87 4runner, though. ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've seen you mention the "low height" several times and I wonder, are you being sarcastic? I don't think the Tundra is low at all. I've parked next to '06 Tundras, F-150's, and other trucks & the Tundra is either as high or higher. I don't understand what you're getting at??? It seems that you don't like your truck very much... I for one think the height is fine & looks great.
Nope, not being sarcastic at all. I like the lowness of my Tundra a lot. It's some of the other "issues" with it that I don't like.

I think the height looks great as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Don't get me wrong I think the new Tundra is great! However I do think the new Tundra is toooo low, it needs a lift.

Zack

·
Registered
202 Posts

I'd say the percentage of people doing lifts and such is probably low. You may see a high percentage on this forum but that does not reflect the whole population. I personally like the height just like it is. Coming from my 03 Tundra, this 07 seems much higher in stock form. Some people just can't leave a good thing alone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
More ground clearance is good:cool:

I've had lifted trucks for a long time and while I will not put the normal 6-8" on this and will likely do some kind of leveling kit so I can run 33's, it just looks better! It also gives you a better view;)

We do a lot of camping and ground clearance is important where we go because there are rocks and dips/bumps on many of the trails that require some decent clearance to get through.

Regardless, your question is kind of like "Why do you [insert subjective personal taste thing here]"... similar to my own curiocity on how anyone can listen to rap... somethings we never understand:D

·
Registered
202 Posts
More ground clearance is good:cool:
similar to my own curiocity on how anyone can listen to rap... somethings we never understand:D
I agree that more clearance is good if you need it. However, simple leveling and suspension lifts do not change your diff clearance. I went into some pretty rough places with my stock 03 Tundra 4X4 and never had a problem. Most people think they need more when they really don't. It's your money any your truck so do what makes you happy. BTW, i totally agree with the rap comment. How people can listen to that crap is beyond me.

·
Registered
549 Posts

"the high-in-the-air" F150's always look clean to me....then again, its probably because they get washed and sit in the driveway 24hours a day because they are broke down:p And, they probably do sit higher which allows easier access to underneath the truck to work on it while its broke down.:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"the high-in-the-air" F150's always look clean to me....then again, its probably because they get washed and sit in the driveway 24hours a day because they are broke down:p And, they probably do sit higher which allows easier access to underneath the truck to work on it while its broke down.:D
Haha! While I don't think my neighbors has broken down, I have to laugh at it every day when I drive by and it's sitting in his yard looking like it's "waiting for something". :clown:

When I saw the first new style 150 a few years back, I thought it *had* to have been lifted and they got a little carried away in the back. Nope! They're *all* like that. They must sell a lot of leveling kits (probably 8 inch ones) for those things.

The strange high and arse-up look is the first thing that comes to mind when I see the F150s. Well, that and how often they go for repairs. How they sell so many of those things is beyond me. :confused:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
isnt this really the wrong way to look at it ?? when you think about all the yuppies as you put it . buying lift kits that makes the manufactures more money and then they have more money for R&D to make better products for you .. they are making it cheaper for you to offroad ...
Not really.
None of these kits coming out for the "yuppies" increase wheel travel or the ability to off road. They are all drop down kits which actually put more stress on the frame and eventually break it (I have seen and reapaired it). Drop down kits do not give you more wheel travel or ground clearance, since it simply drops the stock suspension. So for the most part it is just a fad and the fad is for the look. All the companies building these kits are not into "off-road" Fabtech is a little with the jeeps and such but the truck kits are drop down kits. The coilover companies like Danahoe and King were around before it was cool and are basically modifying the shocks they built for offroad use to bolt into a stock location. And believe it or not the price of things have actually gone up because as said it is the cool new thing and people will now pay more for it. So if it were cool to get more wheel travel and to actually improve the offroad handling of the vehicle then I would agree with you. I know, I am just bitter because I hate driving a vehicle that looks "Trendy" and I lift everything I own. (I even have a lifted skateboard) So I am actually planning to lower my truck just so it will not be like all the other cool kids. But I like to be different which is usually what you are trying to do when you "Customize" your vehicle.

I do get the point you are making but in the end it is just helping fund the fad. The money for R&D goes into more Drop down kits or body lifts. (I know 2 guys that work for Fab Tech).

Just to clarify the ground clearance issue. It does give you more around the body and a minimal amount under the axles due to the fact that you can run bigger tires but the kits actually lower the front suspension which does not give it the ground clearance needed for real off roading.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts