Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2003 Tundra and after it sat in the driveway for a week or so the battery was dead. I couldn't find a date on when it was installed and figured it was time for a new one. Today it was dead again after not being started for 10 days. I've checked and can find no lights on or anything like that. What can be draining the battery?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Any after-market electronic equipment installed (alarm, stereo)?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Any after-market electronic equipment installed (alarm, stereo)?
Thats what I was thinking also. I had a similar problem, it was my wiring for the two 6 inch KC's up front. I felt the relay and it was warm, I just had some wires mixed up.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
697 Posts
You can measure the amps yer vehicle is drawing when it's just sitting there. Git a multimeter that has a setting fer DC amps. Follow the instructions fer the multimeter. The meter should be configured correctly and in between the positive wire and the battery. Make sure you don't try to start the vehicle or use any high amperage devices like rolling yer winders down. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought it used and don't know if the alarm was added or factory. I did read on some other postings that it could be the auto off light switch. I'm going to try that and see the results. If that doesn't work I'll try searching the drain.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i seen on some of the rolls royce i do. they have a kill switch in the trunk.
it shut's off everything. i'm sure you can install 1.
so there no drain from the battery.
the down side, you radio & clock, & ecu might have to start over.
to find a drain, is a nightmare.
i hope you find it,good luck,
gorilla

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
If you're positive that you have a good battery, I'd still start by checking for any aftermarket electronics that may have been installed earlier. Inspect for new horn, fogs, head lamps and so on. A 'new' alarm may be something obvious like a small light bulb that does not look like it came with the truck or the key fob is different than stock. I presume it has a stock head unit?
You can get a decent meter for 30 bucks or so.

After you lock your truck, go back out 10-15 minutes later and make sure no interior light remains on.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Also, I had a draining battery in my old mustang and when it came down it was just that the clamps that hold down to the battery where too old and oxidate and weren't doing their job. Check that and make sure they are all tighten down. Dumb little thing like that made me have a lot more problems down the road. I pulled all my fuses out and that somehow blew my AC and other things...errg. Bad memories. But yeah just start there and then check your fuses to see which one is draining. One at a time of course

·
Registered
697 Posts
Also...if the battery cables are acid filled (white powderish) they will draw the battery down in good time just sitting there. Just don't git that stuff on yer clothes...it's best to replace them when they git to that stage. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Let us know if you resolve it.
I have a 2002 with the same issue, no aftermarket equipment at all. It's always been a sore point since new, how fast the battery drains when sitting. It's come to a head now since my wife is not driving it regularly.
I've been checking the battery, it's losing about .25 volts per day. Haven't successfully checked the parisitic drain yet, I think my meter's buggered on amps.
I threw one of those little solar battery maintainers on it yesterday hoping it would make a difference...still down another 1/4v (it was cloudy today though).

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
No one has answered his original question..."why does my battery run down".

Because its trying to catch the alternator. Duh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have confirmed that it is a problem that the trailer light stays hot when the headlight switch is left in the "auto on" position. I try to remember to turn it off but sometimes forget and since I only drive it on ocassion I get caught with a dead battery. I think it is a known issue with the tundra but haven't found a fix for it. I'm considering a solar battery charge maintainer to leave on the dash but wonder if there issues there if left for extended periods?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Get a plug in battery conditioner (not a trickle charger or anything, just a conditioner) that will charge the battery when needed to prevent it from dying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts