Toyota Tundra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 27 foot trailer, 2008 limited tundra 3/1 SST readylift. and every time i hitch, the rear of truck sinks down so low that the front of truck is up in air? WTF!! my buddy has a silverado and his truck sits leveled (same trailer hitched)...IM PISSED!! i have the Distribution bar/hitch
and its of no help. i tried setting hitch at different heights but no luck. why doesnt my truck sit leveled? i often se other tundras with FIFTH WHEELERS on it that sit level, i have a stanky ol travel trailer that cant wiegh more than 7,000 pounds, it looks like truck is bottomed out.. what can i do?? please help, i hate my Chevy, Ford friends laughing at my TUNDRA...:mad::mad:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is your buddy's truck leveled or lifted you may need airbags I suggest using Airlift you can order them from Desertrat.com Part #57299

Brett

·
Registered
401 Posts
It's the tongue weight and the 3/1 lift. Properly loaded, my truck ('08 Crewmax) barely sags with the trailer hooked up.

Is your friends Silverado an HD or a 1500? When my Dad hooks my trailer up to his Silverado (1500) the hitch is almost dragging on the ground. He drove my old Tundra ('06 Double Cab) with my trailer and was extremely upset with his truck's towing performance. My '06 barely sagged either, regardless of the weight distribution setup. I don't even use WD on the '08...

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
If you say that the WDH is of no help then it is not set up properly. There are to main adjustments to them, one is the overall height and the second is the preload on the bars, both are crucial. What brand of WDH are you using?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
If you say that the WDH is of no help then it is not set up properly. There are to main adjustments to them, one is the overall height and the second is the preload on the bars, both are crucial. What brand of WDH are you using?
exactly. the WDH is the issue, its not set up properly. if it was, there woudl be NO reason for the rear to drop like that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes he has the 2500HD with a leveling kit, tounge weight , not sure..300?? WHD i purchased when i bought trailer and hitch was initially for my yukon XL, it has an 1800 lbs pre load on bars, can anyone help me with the correct set up of hitch? i have a family of 5 and i pack alot of camping gear plus coolers, and it seems that when i do that alone i can see the weight affecting truck. and now with the added weight of trailer!! imagine what that looks like, i thought i had purchased a champ.. now im so upset at this i can just sell this POS!!grrrr please help.. i thought of airbags but this is the "LIMITED EDITION" all the bells and whistles, buncha crap...HEEEEEEELLLLP!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
A 2500 is in a different class. 2000 lbs will barely make that truck sag if you want the honest truth.

A Tundra has a 1600-1700 lb payload capacity. A 3/1 lifts teh truck 3" in the front and 1" in the rear. You take the knowledge that it takes about 2.5" to level the Tundra out and you'll see that you brought the front up much more than the rear. Now, add weight to that, and of course that 1" block isn't going to do anything.

Go get a set of airbags and you'll be able to control ride height and if you really wanted to, you could go throw 4000 lbs of sht in the back and be @$$ end up. (I don't recommend that though).

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
O.k...Well thats the reason i got a 2.5"/1" lift instead of a 3"/1". What did you expect, you can LEVEL the truck, load it to capacity and not have any squat? There is nothing wrong with your truck. The truck comes with rake from the factory for a reason. When you jack up the front 3" so its level with the rear its obviously going to squat if you put ANY weight in the back. Grade, SR5, and Limited are just interior packages, doesn't mean sh*t for towing. Did you do any research when you bought your truck or set it up for towing?

Tell us what brand of hitch you have like 2 other users have already asked and maybe someone can help.

OR take the freaking 3"/1" out and the truck will be perfectly fine and sit level with a load behind it.

Try taking the 1" block out and buy an AAL (add a leaf) kit or get air bags for the rear.

I tow a Jayco Octane ZX toy hauler, WDH, 2.5"/1" lift, family of four, all our luggage, and my truck still sits .25" @ss up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Try taking the 1" block out and buy an AAL (add a leaf) kit or get air bags for the rear.
this is your answer.

i put a 3" lift in the front and added a leaf to make up the 1" plus protected against the sag problem you're having.

i hauled 3 tons of gravel in a 1 ton trailer with no sag.

caspian

·
Registered
519 Posts
When I had my 3" in front/ nothing in rear I got mine to set level with a 27' TT. Like said before its all in the WDH set up. Sounds like its set up for your other vehicle. One other advice is if this is one of those round bar bottom of the line WDH's ditch it and get you a quality set up. I use the Equal i zer hitch and was night and day!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I had major bed sag, see my pics with the white horse trailer. It was bad. I since have put in airbags and everything is better now.

·
Registered
216 Posts
For starters, ya can't have a 300 lb tongue weight when your rig is around 7000 lbs. Generally it's in the range of 9% to 11% if set up (only IF) setup correctly. On top of that you add all the gear 'n crap? You have no air bags and who knows what kind of WDH? You're lucky that you're even getting responses to try and help you with the attitude you're reflecting. You need to calm down and do some research. There's a wealth of info on this site (also googling) on how to set up even the heaviest of rigs to work properly with your set up. When using crappy accessories, you get crappy results. When using equipment set up for a different vehicle, you get crappy results if not recalibrated for your setup. Finally, when you report on another vehicle performing better than yours, make sure you're comparing apples to apples i.e. 1/2 ton similar class.
I had a Tacoma and the same Travel Trailer (600 lbs tongue weight and >5000 lbs weight) I'm now towing with my Tundra only caused a 1.25" sag on the Tacoma. This was with properly calibrating the WDH, hitch height, tension bars, etc. etc. etc. AND, I did not even have air bags!!!!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I had to check the calendar..........Nope, not April 1st.

Comparing an HD 3/4 ton to a 1/2

Installing a 3" lift in front and then wondering why his arse sags.

WDH not bought originally for this application.

I don't think the people are laughing at the OP's truck...

Where do these people come from???

·
Registered
588 Posts
RV.Net has a great section on WDH set up.
Did you try adjusting the ball mount assembly. Level the trailer, on flat land, then adj the ball mount so it is approx 1"- 1 1/2 higher than the trailer tounge. Then attach the trailer. With the WDH set up properly, the entire truck should drop just about equally. Air bags help but shouldn't substitute a proper WDH set up.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I had to check the calendar..........Nope, not April 1st.

Comparing an HD 3/4 ton to a 1/2

Installing a 3" lift in front and then wondering why his arse sags.

WDH not bought originally for this application.

I don't think the people are laughing at the OP's truck...

Where do these people come from???
You and I are on the same page today, I was thinking the same thing. The trucks aren't even worth comparing and any time you add a level kit to the front you will have the rear sag look. You could also do some heavier leaf springs or an add-a-leaf.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want to thank EVERYONE that HELPED me out in this matter, and to HELL with those who KNOW IT ALL or HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS ie TUNDRACJ n TIME4CHANGE...I wish I had ALL the answers too. after all isnt this site design to also help out those who need it and NOT to make fun of those who ask? I hope that with this new knowledge i can help out others who ask, and not bash them.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Yow, let's play nice ya'll! :) It's like a catfight in here, rowwwrrr.

Rawlee, this site is indeed here to share information and help those in need. I think some of the negative reaction you received is because a couple of your posts appear to be berating your truck for the sag problems. I understand you're just frustrated, and I've been there, but not everyone may realize that.

The good news is, it's easily fixed with the solutions provided in this thread :) Wish you the best of luck in getting that rear end back up :tu:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.