Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start it up cold and let it idle it stays revving 1500rpm and is really loud and rather annoying. Is there something wrong with it or does everyone's do this?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
All tundra's do this, its simply the engine idling higher to warm itself up. In fact i think most vehicles do it, my old 04 F-150 and current Tundra, Sequoia and Camry do the same thing. No worries my friend.

It also might sound like a turbo spooling up, a whistling type sound, thats also totally normal for these vehicles

·
Registered
272 Posts
They all do it. It's an emission thing. I think it has something to do with getting the catalitic converters heated up quickly to reduce emissions.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
They are programmed to do this to get heat into the catalysts to make them "light off" or start burning pollutants as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Oh wow, three responses under a minute apart. You guys are geniuses. :first: :tu:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
wow. must be your first vehicle ever. even carb'd vehicles would do this when the choke was closed....and all FI cars/trucks have done it...but anyway, congrats on your obviously first vehicle. any other routine questions can be addressed via the owners manual usually. they are pretty elementary. :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Every vehicle i have ever had has done it. From waaaay before catalytic converters. So, you're all good!

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
It just sounds worse than it is bcause of the engine driven fan. The fan clutch is still locked up so there is a lot of fan noise. Even when cold, I don't sit there and idle away. Just get in and drive it easy for a few miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts