Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Add your own comments please :D

1. I needed a daily driver that was fun to drive. I test drove the Dodge, Nissan, Ford, GMC. . . the Dodge was closest in driving "feel" but only the Tundra felt sporty.
2. I wanted room for my whole family. We all fit very well (dog, too) in the DC
3. I had read about the legendary Toyota reliability. I liked the idea of 100,000 miles with no major component failure. Hell, I liked the idea of 50,000 without having to visit the shop except for routine oil changes. As a Consumer Report reader (if not acolyte) I take their reviews in consideration, even if not always the gospel truth.
4. I wanted a truck with the payload and towing capacity for my fifth wheel camper: 10,000 lb trailer with a 1,370 pin weight.
5: I took such a bath on resale of my last truck, I liked the idea of not doing that again.
6: I go off road . . . . waaaay off road hunting, and wanted to be reasonably assured I'd make it back home. (I guess that's covered in #3 above). But being personally stranded in Dodge, friends stranded in GMC and Ford, but the two guys I know with Toyotas never having been stranded anywhere. . .
7: The best looking truck (IMO of course).
8: Push the accelerator to the floor!
:D

To counter the regular threads about "how my truck is falling apart, the sheet metal is too thin, the bed bounces too much, the glass breaks too easily" etc etc an occasional optimistic thread is warranted I think.
:D

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
5.7l v8

I had a 4.7l Sequoia and really missed having my tacoma ie truck bed. And the big draw was size for the family . Once I test drove the 5.7 I knew I was gonna buy one!!

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Could get the FJ Cruiser, the 4Runner, or the Tundra 5.7L for the same exact price. I had come from several SUV's including Jeep Cherokee, Ford Eddie Bauer Explorer, and Mercury Mountaineer V8. All of these got the same exact mileage as the 5.7. Figured we had the van for needing 8 passenger seating and Tundra can seat 5. Overall was the best deal at the time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just put a deposit down on one. I bought the 2000 Tundra and had driven it up until I sold it a couple of weeks ago. My new one will be with me for 10 more years.

Before finalizing my decision I just drove the F150 and Silverado 1500. Both seemed pretty good, I could get by with either, I'm sure. I preferred the Silverado, it drove very nicely but was a little on the boring side. The F150 interior was trying too hard, and when I shut the crew cab door the driver seat would wobble.

Anyhow, despite the drama and hyperbole in the news, the Tundra will be my truck for the next 10 years.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was looking to purchase my first pickup and I had it narrowed down to the f150 and the tundra. I test drove the chevy silverado 1500 for a week as a rental after crashing my previous ride (saab 9-3). As much as I liked the chevy (it gave me the idea to get a pickup), it didn't come close to the tundra or the f150. Once down to the f150 and the tundra...it came down to a few things.

1. Tundra had waaaaaaay more ooomph when I stepped on the go pedal.
2. Comparable f150 model to the tundra DC did not have back doors and was still more expensive.
3. The look of the truck (staring straight at the grill) looked better on the tundra, hands down.
4. Reliability factor of Toyota. Ford may be the grand-daddy of the pickup truck, but when it came down to the ford vehicles my family has owned in the past or ford vehicles owned by friends, one word resonates...problems, mainly of the "major" variety.
5. I thought the tundra drove better, period. I just felt it handled tighter while the f150 lumbered a bit.

Now just over one month into my purchase, I couldn't be happier. It handled the winter storms in the NE from the past couple of weeks, great. I love driving it and it makes going to work a lot more fun. I managed to get some foglights in it, on my own, from tundraparts.com that make it look that much better. A tonneau cover is next, probably undercover...and some sort of cargo divider will also follow. Overall, I give it two thumbs up and I'm glad I went for the Tundra!

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Bought the fastest accelerating mass produced full sized truck available at the time. Let the horsepower flow. :heh:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bought the fastest accelerating mass produced full sized truck available at the time. Let the horsepower flow. :heh:
:tu: Yeah. Tundra burns baby!

For me , all of the above plus the fact that when going head to head, I know who will come out ahead.... :D

I just wish I had the time from my younger days to tinker with it all day long. Nothing like working away in the driveway, tunes playing and a few beers on the hood.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Bought my first truck ever a 2006 Tundra RCLB V6 cause of Toyota's reliability. Came out the new and improved 07 with a 5.7L and 6 speed tranny, I just couldn't help myself so I traded the 06 for an 07 RCSB with SAP. No regrets whatsoever. Planning to keep this one for a looooonnnnnnng time.:D

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Bought my first truck ever a 2006 Tundra RCLB V6 cause of Toyota's reliability. Came out the new and improved 07 with a 5.7L and 6 speed tranny, I just couldn't help myself so I traded the 06 for an 07 RCSB with SAP. No regrets whatsoever. Planning to keep this one for a looooonnnnnnng time.:D
I had almost the exact same things as you, except I kept both of them as pets. :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
the most space for me and the kids and gear
reliability
gets me ANY where I wanna go, no matter how deep in the woods:D
got a good deal, less than $16000 for less than 35,000k miles (best deal in the area at the time anyway)
just plain FUN truck to drive daily :tu:
tundra is #:first: IMO

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had a lot of trucks in my time. 1 Toyota and 6 Chevys. My last truck was an 05 Crew cab Silverado 1500. It had everything a luxury car could want. My wife wanted a travel trailer and did not want anything small. We found a 5th wheel we really liked at 6700 lbs.. I hooked up a hitch and went and pulled the camper home. It was a tad heavy for my truck that was rated at 7000#'s . I cried and she gave in for a new truck, so I did my home work. I went through every forum I could find and the Tundra keep coming up the right truck. I worked for Toyota all thru the 80' and worked for Lexus half way thru the 90' so I knew how they were . I bought a very nice looking red 4x4 with a bunch of power and can't wait to go out and use it. I did get the 6 year warrenty:D. So far I really like this truck, it is fun to drive.

Later
Mick

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
The grin on my face at WOT

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Because I like to Buy American !!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bought mine after not having a truck for a couple of years. I was so impressed by my 2006 Double Cab that I had to have another tundra. After seeing the inside of the cab of the CrewMax, I was sold. I use it as a daily driving vehicle and was concerned about room for the kids in the back! Our 2007 crewmax solved that. Got one at a heck of a deal at the time used so I could not pass it up. Since owning it, I have appreciated the 5.7L, size, reliability, towing, 4x4, etc. just like everyone has said! And, I love the fact that I feel safe driving it and having my family riding in it. We also have a Sienna and it is nice to ride in, but nothing compares to the sheer size of the Tundra. I know if we get into an accident, our chances are much better in it than our van!

Bill

·
Registered
722 Posts
Had a 06 Tundra DC 4X4,sold it to a guy at work when gas went up to $4. Got a 08 4Runner V6 Sport Package,great SUV,21-23 MPGs too.First trip to Canada in the 4R,just two of us and the 4R was totally full.Should've seen me try to get my weed-trimmer in the 4R to take it to the shop:p! Sooooo, testdriving trucks I go.Didn't want or need a 3/4 ton, so that left GM out with their silly 5 ft bed in a Crewcab halfton. Drove the F150,really liked it,problem was I drove a used 5.7 Tundra first so Ford's 5.4 V8 took second place when gas mileage was figured in.When I testdrove a new Tundra and got to mess with the Dualgate shifter,I was sold.Engine layout impressed me the most too,give the others a look sometime.Ford's 5.4 was the most jumbled.I have over 7000 miles on my 2010 DC and it's "issue free" as I fully expected.Haven't decided yet on the recalls.If they're Toyota's fault,they'll fix 'em. If it's a result of UAW paybacks and stupid or "get something for nothing" people;the lawyers and our media will damage Toyota for years to come.That'll teach 'em for being 'Number 1' when two out of three Auto Companies are "owned" by 'Chicago Thug' Polititians.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
859 Posts
1) As I have posted before, I make no apology for the fact that size and weight were a big factor. From a safety perspective.
2) Think every household should have a truck.
3) Reliability is a big factor for me. Really don't underatand how any vehicle should need anything replacing other than 'consumables' until way, way past 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have owned ford, chevy and gmc. Driven a LOT of trucks at work including my current 07 3/4 ton Dodge hemi ub.
I found good and bad in all of them. The Toyota is no different in that respect, and I DO wish the bed didn't ding so easy.
Than said, this is the most fun and capable gas truck I have ever driven and after 2.5 years it is still making driving a pleasure. I think the only vehicle I enjoyed more was my old corvette, but I couldn't haul a load of firewood or tow a boat with with it.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I've had several Toyota's over the years and I always keep my vehicles for a long time so the Tundra for me was a no-brainer. No regrets and the 5.7 doesn't hurt either.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts