Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally tow small trailers, dirt bikes, quads and junk like that around so I've never looked into it but recently a buddy asked me to tow his boat. So I checked up on the tow rating first and I see my quad cab is only rated to tow 6900 lbs. Wow seems like the truck could pull a lot more. What's the reasoning for such a low rating? is it the brakes on the trucks or does anyone know?

Thanks
Malcolm

·
Registered
234 Posts
6900 lbs is a lot of weight for a half ton truck. Springs , tires, cooling, transmission strength and cooling, axle bearings etc...
It's all designed as a package. Brakes of coarse but if both axles on the trailer have brakes they aren't the end all.

·
Registered
756 Posts
the reason is we have a C frame not a box frame like the big 3. 11,800 total weight is what you need to remember. that includes EVERYTHING, truck kids clothes gas water firewood dog, EVERYTHING has to be 11,800 or less. The big 3 total weight is around 14,000 with a half ton but again that's because the frame is boxed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C frame makes sense. Man he said his boat is 7 tons. That's what 14000 lbs. I'm not sure if that included trailer or not. I might have to pass on that one. Seems way over the limits.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
C frame makes sense. Man he said his boat is 7 tons. That's what 14000 lbs. I'm not sure if that included trailer or not. I might have to pass on that one. Seems way over the limits.
Yeah .. . .. . . just a little over the limit there unless you want to appear on they towing forum under "foolish towing attempts."

·
Registered
214 Posts
the reason is we have a C frame not a box frame like the big 3. 11,800 total weight is what you need to remember. that includes EVERYTHING, truck kids clothes gas water firewood dog, EVERYTHING has to be 11,800 or less. The big 3 total weight is around 14,000 with a half ton but again that's because the frame is boxed.
Now don't go forgetting that it's a C channel frame for a reason. The engineers decided on a C channel for certain characteristics. Reduces weight, but is still strong. Up front it is boxed. Just depends where on the frame they decided what characteristics were needed.

Also, don't forget that the "big 3" used C channel frames for decades while Toyota was using fully boxed frames.

What it comes down to is that the Tundra is a 1/2 ton truck. That's what it's rated for. Will it do more? Certainly, but the rating is there to keep everyone safe because it's a packaged deal between the engine, transmission, axles, frame, brakes, cooling, and on and on.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't think that's low so much as new 1/2 ton trucks are rated too high.

Do you guys realize that there is no standard by which tow rating is determined? Over the past few years I've come to suspect it's determined by a committee comprised of marketing guys and liability lawyers essentially making a decision on how much towing capacity the manufacturer can claim vs how worried they are about liability.

·
Registered
756 Posts
14,000 pounds total weight, including the truck, kids, gear, boat, dog, everything vs 11,800 total weight for us.

·
Registered
756 Posts
When did I say I had a 14,000 boat? I don't even own a boat for gods sake. AGAIN TOTAL WEIGHT, towing deals with total weight including the truck and passengers and gear and whatever you are towing. TOTAL WEIGHT. A 5500 lb tundra loaded has 6300 lbs left to equal 11,800. A 5500 lb f150 would have around 8500 lbs left to equal 14,000. I hope this helps because if someone loaded a 14,000 boat on either of these platforms they would be in grave danger.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Get some air bags in the rear and go for it. Just keep your distance and avoid any big pot holes.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Payload. Half tons really don't have the room in the payload and GVWR for super-heavy duty towing. My 95 Ranger 2wd 4 cyl. reg cab stickshift, my 04 Dakota Quad Cab, and my 09 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 are all within about 200 pounds of eachother for payload ratings. The vehicles have gotten too fat, with bigger cabs and more pork inside. If they upgrade the underpinnings to create more comfortable towing limit despite their porkiness you end up with a 3/4 ton. If you already sell one, why do that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the whole towing capacity war was started by import half ton builders who don't have 3/4 tons to sell. So they started trying to out-do the domestic half-tons on paper to attract people towing 8-9K who would otherwise get something different that they don't build. The Big 3 took the bait and now most manufacturers are rating their trucks for ridiculous amounts of weight that are only doable in theory, and which you really wouldn't want to work with daily.

6900 pounds doesn't seem too bad to me for a Crew cab half ton with a sub 5 liter engine, the 10-11000 pound ratings they toss around today are BS. I think Toyota actually uses a less than recommended percentage for hitch weight when calculating the 10000 pound rating for the GEN2. I wouldn't want to regularly pull more than 8-8500 pounds with anything out there. That's why they have 3/4 tons. Running numbers repeatedly, the real world numerical limits on my 09 Crewmax 5.7 appear to be closer to 8000-8500 pounds than the 10K-plus that Toyota advertises.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Get some air bags in the rear and go for it. Just keep your distance and avoid any big pot holes.

It's blatantly unsafe and frankly stupid advice like this getting handed out at the drop of a hat that gives this forum it's bad reputation out on the rest of the web (it does come up)

SEVEN tons!

14,000 lbs

with a 1/2 ton truck

srsly:unsure3d:

You gonna buy the OP a new transmission when he fries his "pulling" a retarded stunt like pulling 14K with a 1/2 ton truck? How about take the liability for the minivan full of children going to church camp the OP kills when he plows through em in his runaway truck with cooked off brakes.

My advice for you is to stick with your Forza Motorsport x-box game and leave the real driving to the responsible grown ups.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate the responses guys. I told my buddy I'll pass. Its not worth ruining my truck. Yes it's a big boat. 40' long and has a big cabin and under space in it too. 8.1 Liter v8 engine etc. His boat weighs 14K lbs. He said the last guy who towed it had a dodge 2500 which I'm sure was seriously over loaded too pulling that boat.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
It's blatantly unsafe and frankly stupid advice like this getting handed out at the drop of a hat that gives this forum it's bad reputation out on the rest of the web (it does come up)
Bad reputation??? What ever dude... I dont know where you read that but if is it so bad what are you doing here?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bad reputation??? What ever dude... I dont know where you read that but if is it so bad what are you doing here?

I'm here to enjoy and share about my truck and in the process try to be helpful and share ideas possibly in the process make this forum a better place

I notice that you didn't offer anything to correct or offer counterpoint to the over the top insanity posted by peterfarhangi
. It's unsafe stuff like this going unchallenged that will quickly give a forum a bad rep as a place to get bad advice.

Everyone on this thread with a shred of responsibility should have been outraged by the "airbags will let you tow 7 tons" blurb and have posted SOMETHING outlining how ill advisable that is. Yet aside from me all we see is silence. How do you think outsiders should take this? I'm a member of froums from MPVclub to NAXJA from AR15.com to Accuratereloading and everything in between, ONLY HERE will crap like was posted above be allowed to float by unchallanged.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I wanted to give my 0.2 cents till I saw your post bashing this site and it reputation but your are still happy using it...

I agree that towing a 7 ton boat is a bad idea and the only mod to make that safe is to buy a F350.

I just don’t like your comments but somehow this site is still good enough to use. Don’t be smart a$$, let be constructive on here and let’s not make fellow TS users feel stupid. Your comment does carry some weight and they are valid, don’t get me wrong but I think it’s the way you are going about it....

Sorry I didn’t mean to stir anything up. (If you would like to discuss this further PM me please)

What I wanted to say earlier is that I thought the towing capacity for trucks where determined by their weight as well as what they can bring to a stop safely... But the whole C channel bearings, trnsmision comments make perfect sense...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I agree that things need to take a respectful tone, lord knows I'm as guilty as anyone about not doing so. Buy I'm trying to improve on that. However with certian things you can be too nice.

It's one thing to not but up a disagreement on an oil thread where the final outcome may only be a few $$ spent or saved, but it's quite another where the point being made can end in DEATH or dismemberment.

Back OT:

what does the boats owner tow with? Cause that is one helluva boat.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back OT:

what does the boats owner tow with? Cause that is one helluva boat.
He only has a corvette and a jeep wrangler. The boat normally sat in large lake (lake of the ozarks) but it's a 3 1/2 hour drive from kansas city so he didn't get to enjoy the boat as much. Not to mention storage or dock fees or what ever its called where the boat sat cost a fortune.
So he had a buddy tow it to Kansas City recently and now he just has friends tow it to local lakes to use. He doesn't have a steady tow friend worked out yet so he asked me. I believe one fellow had a Dodge 2500 who towed it for him. After realizing his boat weighs 7 tons and my truck is rated for less than half that I kindly declined. A couple thousand lbs over I might have considered or at least thought real hard about but shoot a 14 000 lb boat I'm not even going to entertain the idea.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts

SEVEN tons!

14,000 lbs

with a 1/2 ton truck

srsly:unsure3d:

You gonna buy the OP a new transmission when he fries his "pulling" a retarded stunt like pulling 14K with a 1/2 ton truck? How about take the liability for the minivan full of children going to church camp the OP kills when he plows through em in his runaway truck with cooked off brakes.

My advice for you is to stick with your Forza Motorsport x-box game and leave the real driving to the responsible grown ups.

way over the top... meditate, medicate, or masterbate. choose one, or maybe a couple. oh and valium, definitely valium. perhaps this will provide the assistance in feeling more comfy next time you decide to drop by. i like it here at ts and could care less about perceptions outside our community that may or may not exist.

ahhhhhhh! excuse me, it's time for me to meditate now. many blessings.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts