Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 2000 tundra and my dad has a 2001. Trucks are identical except for mine has a k&n air cleaner assembly. Also, he has 125000 and I only have 50000. So I'm driving his the other day while doing his brakes and I notice that his runs way better than mine. The throttle response is so different that you would think they were two different makes...his is super peppy...mine not so much. The k&n was on when I got the truck. Both trucks are 4.7 liter, 4 door, trd sr5. He has the iforce badge and I don't of course. Anybody have any idea what the difference could be? Thanks for any responses

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add that when I bought the truck, the guy gave me the entire stock air box assembly that he removed when he installed the cold air k&n. If it is recomended by you guys, I can put it back on. Thanks again.

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
I would bet they are probably geared different. Do they both have the tow package? Unless your Mass airflow sensor is gummed up, the K&N wouldnt cause that much of a noticible difference. People have their own opinions on K&N intakes, but I personaly have had good luck with them.
There is a good chance your two trucks are just optioned out with different gear ratios, that is the only thing I could see that would make that big of a difference.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
From what I have read on here...the factory setup was a true CAI. Whereas the K&N isnt. You may want to put the factory setup back on.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Another thing to consider is any cargo in the trucks? I'm a mechanic and carry several hundred pounds of tools in my truck. When I clean it out for a road trip and remove the excess weight I'm shocked at the difference in response and pep.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went out and pulled the k&n off and put the stock box back on. I'll let you all know how it reacts. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a big difference...no doubt about it. I'm not saying its exactly like my dads, but its better than it was. The rest of the difference could very well be the gearing like you said. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
These trucks tend to run rich even factory stock, and any sort of mods can make that worse. The truck needs electronics to lean out the air fuel mixture. One fellow on this board "Thundera" had a 4runner with the usual bolt ons. After he bought a device from URD and leaned his mixture down on a dyno, he had huge gains, especially in low end torque.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It sounds like there is a big difference between the iForce V-8 and the non-iForce V8.
There is no difference, the badge was just added in 2001/02

Try taking some brake parts cleaner and clean the MAF sensor really well. If the K&N was ever washed and reoiled it's possible the MAF might be contaminated. Those filters are a joke.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You could try cleaning your throttle body. That might sharpen things up a little. Another thing you might want to consider is whether or not they are both 4WD. 4WD will add quite a bit of weight and slow you down slightly.

As far as the K&N filters, I've heard of them clogging the MAF, however, I've had the K&N stock replacement filters for years and in several vehicles with no problems. But if you are looking for solutions, it doesn't hurt to clean the MAF anyway.

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
There is no difference, the badge was just added in 2001/02

Try taking some brake parts cleaner and clean the MAF sensor really well. If the K&N was ever washed and reoiled it's possible the MAF might be contaminated. Those filters are a joke.
I wouldnt use brake parts cleaner. It is way too harsh for the MAF. Use electronic parts cleaner, or they even make a specific cleaner for the MAF, all of which you can get at the parts store. You dont want to risk ruining the expensive MAF.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
go to Advance auto parts and get a spray can of Mass air flow sensor cleaner. Then get a can of throttle, body cleaner too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They are both 4wd. His sensor and throttle body have never been cleaned but I'll clean mine and let you all know. Possibly the oil from the k&n polluted mine if the original owner got carried away with it. Another question. What about plugs? I thought I had the iridium plugs but on the plug changing sticky on this site, it says that trucks before 2003 didn't come with the iridium plugs. Dad has changed his 3 times in 120000 miles but mine still has the originals after 50000 because I thought I had the iridiums. Thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
They are both 4wd. His sensor and throttle body have never been cleaned but I'll clean mine and let you all know. Possibly the oil from the k&n polluted mine if the original owner got carried away with it. Another question. What about plugs? I thought I had the iridium plugs but on the plug changing sticky on this site, it says that trucks before 2003 didn't come with the iridium plugs. Dad has changed his 3 times in 120000 miles but mine still has the originals after 50000 because I thought I had the iridiums. Thanks
You know, I recently changed the plugs on mine (04 DC) to NGK Iridiums. I only used them because the shop I was at didn't have the normal V-power plugs in stock. For the extra money, I'm not impressed. It doesn't seem to run any differently on the Iridium plugs than it did on standard V-powers. At least, according to my LBD. (Large Butt Dynomometer, that is).

·
Registered
367 Posts
You know, I recently changed the plugs on mine (04 DC) to NGK Iridiums. I only used them because the shop I was at didn't have the normal V-power plugs in stock. For the extra money, I'm not impressed. It doesn't seem to run any differently on the Iridium plugs than it did on standard V-powers. At least, according to my LBD. (Large Butt Dynomometer, that is).

·
Registered
240 Posts
That's because a spark is a spark. As long as it fires, you won't get more power or better combustion or better economy. The plug manufacturers would like you to think that way, but it's only because they'll make more money.

The reason plugs are changed is the electrodes wear creating an increased gap which requires more voltage from the coil to fire (incidentally, increasing the gap also increases the likeliness of igniting the air fuel mixture). With electronic ignition, the available voltage from the coil is far greater than what is needed to fire the spark plugs. As they wear, the two voltage graphs (available and required) get closer and closer. If they wear enough, you get misfires. That's the whole reason we change plugs.

Everyone uses their own stuff, but I was taught to use brake cleaner by an instructor with 30 years of experience teaching driveability and engine performance. BPC doesn't leave a residue like most cleaners will.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts