Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some pics of used trans fluid in our 07 4runner with the 4.0L. This vehicle has NOT been used for any towing duty, and it only has 32k miles on it.

I've stressed the importance of transmission services here on TS, and this proves my point. Although it's not super bad, i'm still glad i'm starting the process early on to prevent any future issues. All i did was a simple drain and refill, using Amsoil ATL which is a compatible WS fluid AND it's full synthetic vs. the Toyota WS which is nothing but a blend.

Although this is not a Tundra; i thought these pics would be of interest. NOt only that, we all have the dreaded 'sealed' transmission and they should all be serviced regardless what the dealer says.

Here's some comparison's. ( forgive me i'm not a photographer ).

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
yup. trans fluid darkens with age. i dont see it so no biggie to me. as long as i service it as they say i should then my warranty covers issues i have. ive never serviced a tranny in the ones that didnt have a sealed transmission...certainly no need to service one the manufacturer deems unncessary. glad you did what u want to do though..your own piece of mind is what matters. not mine. :)

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YOur warranty only lasts so long; after that you're on your own.

After comparing this, i would NEVER keep the WS fluid in there for 100k miles. NEVER.

The drain and fill is a little easier to swallow the cost of the service, as it only costed me $24 in fluid and about an hour's time.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My tundra's been done twice already, and it only has 30k miles on it but it's used mainly for towing.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
its not like i am gonna keep the thing forever...hahaha usualy i hate keeping things after a warranty runs out...but ive got another 66k miles left on the extended warranty so no worrys for me.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
It's hard for me not to believe that changing or serviceing the trans isn't important
i dont put too much thought into it..toyota engineers already did that and the sold me a warranty to back it up. fine with me.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
my sequoia is pass 100k mark and never touched that trans fluid and I tow a lot with it (my travel/toy hauler is close to 6000lbs/dry). never had an issue.

·
Registered
918 Posts
On my Dodge I got the first flsh at 45K and would have done it again at 90-100K if I'd have kept it that long. The plan for this one is drain and fills about every 15K and full flushes every 50. I don't mess with the two things that cost more than anything else to replace on most vehicles, and the 100K service comes after most warranties expire. I am hoping to hold this one to at least twice that.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its not like i am gonna keep the thing forever...hahaha usualy i hate keeping things after a warranty runs out...but ive got another 66k miles left on the extended warranty so no worrys for me.
That's great, and most people don't keep them forever. But i guess you don't beleive in KARMA?

I always have taken care of my stuff ( trans included ), even though i probably won't keep it that long. I try and think a little bit about the 'next guy', and it gives me piece of mind knowing it's taken care of.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
That's great, and most people don't keep them forever. But i guess you don't beleive in KARMA?

I always have taken care of my stuff ( trans included ), even though i probably won't keep it that long. I try and think a little bit about the 'next guy', and it gives me piece of mind knowing it's taken care of.
yup. i too take care of my stuff. follow the manufacturers reccomendations. the next guy is happy to own a vehicle with all the service records showing each oil change was done on time and that the SPECIFIED services were done.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my sequoia is pass 100k mark and never touched that trans fluid and I tow a lot with it (my travel/toy hauler is close to 6000lbs/dry). never had an issue.
All i've got to say is Good luck with that one. Hence my justification for NOT buying other peoples used vehicles.

YOu'd better knock on wood there my friend.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On my Dodge I got the first flsh at 45K and would have done it again at 90-100K if I'd have kept it that long. The plan for this one is drain and fills about every 15K and full flushes every 50. I don't mess with the two things that cost more than anything else to replace on most vehicles, and the 100K service comes after most warranties expire. I am hoping to hold this one to at least twice that.
That's fine if you want to pay someone else to do it; just a little cheaper to DIY.

Kudo's to you for at least DOING IT.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yup. i too take care of my stuff. follow the manufacturers reccomendations. the next guy is happy to own a vehicle with all the service records showing each oil change was done on time and that the SPECIFIED services were done.
Good on ya!

OH, your welcome for the pics.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I'm good friends with someone who used to be the head trans guy (that really sounds perverted) at a Ford dealership. He later had his own shop and now does sumpin' at Shelby here in Vegas.

He claims since there is no combustion or other BS like goes in inside a crankcase there is really no need to change ATF UNLESS you smell/see burned material.

NOT taking his advice, I drained and flushed my 4R100 in my F-250 at 30K and the trans needed a rebuild at 40K.......did another service at 70K and the trans took a dump shortly after. Because of the "flush" aspect, both services were performed at the dealer.

My buddy in WA. NEVER serviced his 4R100 and it lasted nearly 170K......go figure. (thinking maybe 120* heat trumps freezing winters???....LOL!!)

With all that being said, I am totally on the fence concerning these new-fangled sealed transmissions and their 100K services(Toy's not the only one BTW)

I do have the 100k Platinum warranty on the Tundra and am not sure I'll keep it past that. But like buying an extended warranty, or buying designer motor oil, I suppose servicing the trans more often than needed is that much more peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a first time hearing that about recomended no service on trans. Interesting...

My bro's 03 Tahoe trans took a dump at 36k, and it had never been touched. Rebuilt one 10k miles later was acting up, so he dumped it for a sequioa.

Well, i've got the platinum warranty on my tundra as well and plan on keeping it past that time. So, even though the Aisin transmissions are very stout in these trucks i'm going to continue my regime. It really doesn't cost that much, and it's a piece of cake to do once you know what you're doing.

See, by starting early with this process you not only remove 75% of the contaminants in the fluid. There's also no need to do the 60k mile service when it comes time; or the 100k if you don't tow.
Our trans don't have a filter, only a screen. And by keeping the fluid clean, you won't plug that screen up with metals and contamination in the fluid. Therefore, virtually eliminating the FULL service later.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have over 90K on my 08 DC ...
Its coming "DUE" for the RECOMMENDED SERVICE,it will be changed then.
Cool. Please keep us posted as to the outcome, performance, and whether your tranny takes a puke shortly after the service.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's the scheduled maintenance for the trans if you use the truck for towing.

Toyota Parts and Service

I noticed it's 60000 miles or 72 months, whichever comes first; and they say to REPLACE transmission fluid or oil. I would assume it means a complete replacement of the fluid.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
NOpe. no a/c refridgerant.

YOu seem to think i'm doing this for the heck of it? YOu're something else man.

At least you're going to do that. I thought from the sounds of it, you just drive it til it dies and leave your problems to the poor sucker that buys it later.

You'll have to ask your dealer about it, but i'll bet you'll need a FULL service not just a drain and fill. Just a drain and fill at the dealer is $89, and i paid only $30. I've heard full services at the dealer are between $280-$450 just for the service.
So excuse me all to hell for showing an inexpensive alternative to the stealership.

While it's NOT needed NOW!! I'm staying ahead of the game, and i prefer to do the stuff myself rather than have some idiot at the dealer mess around with it.

So start paying a little now, or a lot later. Take your pic.

You have 3 choices with type of fluid and they are: Redline D-6, Amsoil ATL, or WS. From what i've found anyway, The amsoil is cheaper than WS, and is probably about the same as D-6.
well u are kinda doing it for the heck of it. its not needed. but you have yourself convinced it is. kinda like people who swear by nitrogen in their tires or synthetic only oil or whatever. but like i said, i do and will continue to do the required or recommended service. no need to do more. if they thought it would need more they would say it needed more. not hard. if u want to change yours alot more often so be it. i never said i'd pay to have it done...i change my own oil and stuff anyway so likely i will change my own trans fluid. i wont use a flush as they create more problems than not...but just a simple drain and refill as they state. no biggie.

the thing i think that got us all riled up is you coming on here swearing and showing us we SHOULD change the ATF alot sooner than toyota says...just because it looks dirty. of course its gonna be darker. it happens. i dont see it but as long as it works and it will cause people that are way more specialized than you and i, have said it will. but to change it twice in 30k miles? yeah...thats changing it for the heck of it. but if u want to, for your own piece of mind, then so be it. and honestly, i dont buy my cars/trucks for the second owner. i could care less what a dealer does with it once i trade it in. if it was something special like my corvette was then yeah, ill care about who it goes to. but this is a truck. a dime a dozen. no biggie.

but again, thanks for the pics...i guess. theres lots of things i can post pics of that will be darker or dirty looking once its used...but not used up to the point it is bad for whatever it is supposed to do.

bottom line, do what you want to do. the rest of us that dont subscribe to all this nonsense will do what toyota tells us to do. :) well besides getting a gas pedal fixed that may cause it to be more sensitve..that one we might not do haha

·
Registered
754 Posts
I think you came to the wrong forum to talk about changing fluids..these guys on this forum buy new cars every 3 years mind you especially the tundra they trade up to the neweer tundras when they can. So you posting this very helpful, but at the same time your wasting it. Now talk to some guys who plan to own their tundra well into the 200k..they would apprecaite your post for sure. :)
just look around you have posts like with guys having the car only one year and then they come on asking advice should I trade up for the bluetooth in the 2010 models etc....again nothing wrong with that just dont want you wasting your time posting pics, but hey I appreciate it.
Obviously, you don't know what the severe service interval is for a recomended trans service do you? Take a look at your owners manual once in a while; it's 60k if you use the truck for towing.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts