Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to go to the dealer to see if they will put on a new evaporation cannister on my 08 5.7 Tundra. my p043 code(evaporation emmission control malfunction small air leak) and p2401(evaporation cannister pump defective) have been coming on ever once in a while. i have been just turning off the codes with my exray code scout 1500. a past thread recomended a Stant locking gas cap. i tried to put it on and it did not feel right and it turned on the check engine light emmidiatly. the non locking cap from o'rilley/kragen went on better but the eventually the codes came on again. in the thread "bad gas cap?" los211 reported that the dealer checked the gas cap many times and finally replaced the $800 evap assembly under warranty. How many others are having this problem? someone suggested that it is a common 5.7 Tundra problem. please reply if you can help! sam

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no the warranty is not expired, but i want all the evidence i can get so the dealer does not give me any problem. sam

·
Registered
985 Posts
Well, you are destroying some of your "evidence" by clearing the codes. Put the factory gas cap back on, wait for the light to come back on and take the thing in....

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Well, you are destroying some of your "evidence" by clearing the codes. Put the factory gas cap back on, wait for the light to come back on and take the thing in....
^^^^^^^^^ What HE said !!!!:humble:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am still chasing code, and no, the dealer will not replace after 3/36. I even called Toyota, etc. no luck. Replaced canister, same codes. I do not over-fill my tank and the canister was not full of gas. Smoke test is next. I love this truck, but...

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i saw where u tried a locking gas cap as well as an aftermarket non locking cap...what about the OEM or an OEM replacement cap? i hate all this emissions crap that sends us into a tizzy chasing codes....i really dislike it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am about to go to the dealer to see if they will put on a new evaporation cannister on my 08 5.7 Tundra. my p043 code(evaporation emmission control malfunction small air leak) and p2401(evaporation cannister pump defective) have been coming on ever once in a while. i have been just turning off the codes with my exray code scout 1500. a past thread recomended a Stant locking gas cap. i tried to put it on and it did not feel right and it turned on the check engine light emmidiatly. the non locking cap from o'rilley/kragen went on better but the eventually the codes came on again. in the thread "bad gas cap?" los211 reported that the dealer checked the gas cap many times and finally replaced the $800 evap assembly under warranty. How many others are having this problem? someone suggested that it is a common 5.7 Tundra problem. please reply if you can help! sam
i have a 2009 with 38000 and im having the same problem, what was the result when you went to the dealer, and can i do any damage driving with this problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts