Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a 2007 crewmax TRD a week ago - still not delivered from the east coast, but I am starting to make room for it in the garage. I have a hunch it may be too tall for the steel beam going through the middle of the garage holding the upper outside wall up. official Toyota numbers on the vehicle height appear overstated, so I am looking for real world height.

I think i have about 76" max clearance if I tear off some drywall at the bottom of that beam.

The truck is not level-kit lifted and has 18" rims on the TRD suspension. Any numbers +/- 1" would be appreciated (you can save me having to clean out the garage :D)

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I can't comment on your crewmax, but be thankful your not moving into a new home. I'm currently shopping for a new house and most of the new builds have garage doors that can barely fit my 1st gen tundra in width! I've passed up on making an offer on two homes already because I've only got 2-3" of clearance on each side unless I fold the mirrors.

Hopefully, your problem is not a major issue.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The heights are not overstated. My Tundra is stock and allegedly 6' 3.9" tall. It struck a height restriction beam in my work parking lot that was supposedly 6'4", or 76 inches.. Rest of the garage is fine. Entered garage through a different entrance so did not strike it until I exited. Fortunately, the beam swings, so no damage. So, yes, it is definitely that high. Oddly, my friends Tundra will clear it (which is why I thought garage would be fine). But turns out he isnt as cheap as me and has a Limited with TRD package, and has the 17" wheels, I have the 18".

You really need to measure precisely. You're right at the edge of the envelope. If you do not have every bit of that 76" available, you'e gonna customize your roof. Check for garage door openers, the inside of the garage door and so on. Lowest point is usually one of those, not the sheetrock.

And, first time you go in the garage, might wanna have someone watching the roof for you.

So, you WILL need the height.

·
Registered
681 Posts
But turns out he isnt as cheap as me and has a Limited with TRD package, and has the 17" wheels, I have the 18".

QUOTE]

The TRD wheels are 18"...the Rock Warrior wheels are 17"....and the wheels have nothing to do with the height, the tire size does. So he might have a smaller tire than you.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
It will fit if you get a running start!:eek::D:D
My garage door seal is at 76-1/2" and it just touches the top of the cab toward the rear.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My garage is 80" tall to the beam and I can fit it with my 3" lift and 33's. The sides are where it gets dicey. I only have about 3" on both sides of the truck when I pull the truck through. Ironically I find it much easier to back the truck in, than pulling it in. I've gotten pretty good as I have to park in the garage every night. Prior to purchasing the truck I measured everything about about 20 times to make sure everything would work. When I got the truck home I had the wife spot me in for the first time.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I'm jealous of anyone who has a carriage house type garage...you can usually get enough space to park a full size truck and have a hydraulic lift inside to work on it. You also still have plenty of space left over for your car, boat, lawn tractor or whatever other toys you might have.

Unfortunatlely, those houses are a little out of my price range, unless I want to live in the middle of nowhere. I guess I can only dream.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think you will be fine, I have a standard 7" Height garage entrance. I have about 3 inches or so with a truxx 3" level kit and 35s. I have about 1-2 inches of space from where the rear bumper with the garage closes. Just mark off the front of the rear driverside tire with masking tape (I used 3M blue masking tape so its visible) when you are perfectly parked inside the garage. You just have to look back at your rear back wheel every time you park in the garage for perfect parking. Small price for a garage kept tundra!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yeah- most problem you'll have is length (that's what she said)
mine fit in height wise but it's too ling for the garage, then I added a lift/tires. etc and it's not even close.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
length will be fine, although I will need to make the kid's bikes move over. Looks like I may be real close. My garage door opener is actually behind that beam I am worried about and the chain rail of it has a custom hole cut into the beam. Garage door is about 1.5" higher than the beam, but with some mods, I can probably park inside. It is wide enough for two vehicles plus some stuff on each side, so that's not a big problem. I just have to clean out some junk so I can open those wide doors. Will keep that running start in mind if it's tight :D

the garage interior is 23 feet long, the double door is 16 feet wide, inside it's 19 feet from side to side. I have exactly 76" top clearance if I pull drywall off the beam, and if that is not enough, another 0.75" of wood taht's between drywall and beam before there is solid steel.

I really wanted to get one of those leveling lift kits. If it fits without, I am pretty sure I won't lift it. I just won't park it outside in Wisconsin winters if that can be avoided. But it it won't fit, oh well... block heater and lift kit will be ordered soon...

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I go over to my dads house, which is 50+ years old, it fits in his garage with 4 inches to spare (height). In my house which is 5 years old I only have 2 inches to spare (height). I'd be more concerned about width, especially if you have the tow mirrors!

·
Registered
139 Posts
bought a 2007 crewmax TRD a week ago - still not delivered from the east coast, but I am starting to make room for it in the garage. I have a hunch it may be too tall for the steel beam going through the middle of the garage holding the upper outside wall up. official Toyota numbers on the vehicle height appear overstated, so I am looking for real world height.

I think i have about 76" max clearance if I tear off some drywall at the bottom of that beam.

The truck is not level-kit lifted and has 18" rims on the TRD suspension. Any numbers +/- 1" would be appreciated (you can save me having to clean out the garage :D)
Stan: "Oh my God they killed Kenny!!".......Kyle: "You Bastards!!"
SOUTH PARK RULES!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
non trd cm 2010 on level concrete is 76 1/2 inches tall. measured it on the toyo lot, the sales guy looked at me like i was effn nuts lol. my wife says i can only lift it and it still fits in the garage. @ at 80" garage opening im screwed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I thought I would have issues with home/work garage, as well. Toyota site says 75.8in overall height. I have a 3/1 kit and I still have plenty room for more height in my home garage (never measured actual height so plz don't ask...lol) but I think I am cutting it rather close with the stupid low height work garage....says 6ft 9in (81in) clearance. You would think that the overall height of my truck is now 78.8in after the 3/1 install, but I don't think that's necessarily true. If you think about it, the tallest part of our trucks is the rearmost edge of the roof, which is closer to the rear suspension (1in lift) than it is to the front suspension (3in lift). So, I theorize that the overall height is now closer to maybe 75.8+1 or 1.5in?????

Anyone else see what I'm getting at...or am I a retard?

·
Registered
274 Posts
see i get different numbers as well. with 18" steelies and the pos bridgestones i should be shorter. don't know. i really want to go with a 3/1 of 4.5" kit but the wife's rules are in stone. lift as long as it will fit in the garage. my math says 4.5 combined with 20's is a no go and the 3/1 kit and 20's is impossible but doable. i would have to let air out of the tires to get it under the trim lol. im almost willing to do that...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts