Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting so many conflicting reports now. I already ordered 4 now slightly worried. I hear a lot of dudes putting 6x9's in front and 6.5's in back. I'd prefer 6.5's all around and later add sub box.

So will DB651's fit all around or do I need the DB651S (slim) in front?

Thanks and I know another damn speaker question!!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have the slims in my front doors and there is plenty of room behind them, so the regulars should fit just fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Should fit fine.

Remember, you will have to either purchase or build an adapter for the fronts as stocks are 6x9s. :)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Sweet, did not know that Amazon included all that too! I always go through Crutchfield because they include EVERYTHING including vehicle specific wiring harness, instructions on how to remove radio, door speakers, etc.

Edit: Just went to Amazon's website and can't figure out how to get vehicle specific hardware, is there something extra you have to do to get that option?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet, did not know that Amazon included all that too! I always go through Crutchfield because they include EVERYTHING including vehicle specific wiring harness, instructions on how to remove radio, door speakers, etc.

Edit: Just went to Amazon's website and can't figure out how to get vehicle specific hardware, is there something extra you have to do to get that option?
I just looked everything up on crutchfield and did Amazon search! you can find the Scosche speaker mounts (SAT6 and SAT69) and even the Metra speaker harnesses. I didn't order the speaker harness though because my buddy is just gonna run better wires for me.

I guess by the time you add it all up they are pretty close in price! I just have an Amazon account and they fulfill most orders out of Texas (where I live) with no tax and free shipping.

·
Registered
179 Posts
is there a big difference between 6x9 and 6.5 other than size. i always figured a good 4 way or 5 way 6x9 to be better than a 6.5 but i could be wrong. if i had to choose i would go 6x9.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is there a big difference between 6x9 and 6.5 other than size. i always figured a good 4 way or 5 way 6x9 to be better than a 6.5 but i could be wrong. if i had to choose i would go 6x9.
typically, round speakers sound better than oval speakers. you might get a little more bass with a 6x9 but if you plan to add a sub then you should stick with 6.5's...

my ultimate plan is start with four 6.5's in door, then add amp, then a JL Audio Cleansweep and JL Sub box under back seat. All of this while keeping the OEM head unit. I figure I can do this all for about $1,000

cost so far $160 for 4 Polk DB651's and mounting brackets.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I used the 6.5 plates in the front, you wont need them for the back ... I did 6.5 coax alpines all the way around

Think the ideal setup would be a 6.5 components for the front and coax 6.5 for the rear, then perhaps a small 6 inch powered bazooka tube under rear seat for a good rounded sound, I am not talking high end sound i realize this is not that but it would be a good system for an average listener without big bucks

I have an avic pioneer and a 600 watt kenwood amp and 4- 6.5 alpines, its not bad but could use some bass, perhaps a small tube someday

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Should fit fine.

Remember, you will have to either purchase or build an adapter for the fronts as stocks are 6x9s. :)
Are you 100% sure? Crutchfield's website shows that 6x9's don't fit, and that 6.5's or 5.25's do tho...???

·
Registered
485 Posts
6x9's will fit in front with a little work, cause the factory ones are oval in the front, round in rear, the 6.5's are really the easiest although

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
So what is the actual 'direct-replacement' size for the fronts? 6x8 ?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yeah its not a perfect fit for a normal 6x9 ... you do have to use the adapter plates for the 6.5 rounds in front because the hole is oval ... in the old days guys were gutting their old front oval stock speakers and using them somehow to fit the aftermarket 6x9's

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So what is the actual 'direct-replacement' size for the fronts? 6x8 ?
Lots and lots of guys have put 6x9's in front. The only issue I have heard is if they are deep some mods necessary. If you can hang in there a week I'll let you know how my 6.5 install goes all around and will snap pics.

Honestly, I think you would do better with the 6.5's anyway, round speakers have better sound integrity and down the road you can put a small sub in and get all the bass you need, unless you are Snoop Dog, then you'll need a whole bed of subs!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yeah that why they would gut their old front oval speakers, they used them as a spacer for the aftermarket 6x9 ... 6.5's are definatley a perfect fit with the adapter plate, there are no depth issues, I did not use slim speakers in front or back and I didnt use a adapter plate in the back and have zero issues in my double cab.

I guess it depends what you want because yes 6x9's will work in front, no way they will work in the back without cutting alot of metal, though I used 6.5's all around myself and glad I did, easy and perfect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
any idea if the polk audio MM6501 or MM651 will fit into the rear seat of the crew max without any major mods?

also what about the DB651? The crew max has the rear window that can go all the way down. now sure if this becomes an issue.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Lots and lots of guys have put 6x9's in front. The only issue I have heard is if they are deep some mods necessary. If you can hang in there a week I'll let you know how my 6.5 install goes all around and will snap pics.
How did the install go for the speakers? I'm planning on getting Polk db651s for the front and db651 for the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I had 6x9s in the front using adapters I got from ebay. The tweeters stuck out a little, but it wasn't a big deal you could still get enough fasteners to keep the door panel on. I sold them in the classified here a couple months ago. I replaced them with a set of Polk 6.75in components, I like the higher tweeter placement. I used sail panels from a Limited to mount the tweeters. The 6.75in mids fit perfectly in a set of adapters that Crutchfield sent. The rear speakers are Polk 6.5 coax, I cut up the stock speaker and used it as an adapter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know which one the db651s are but installed Polk audio 6.5 DX series all around. And the front i have component. I needed custom brackets in the front, made out of mdf . Sounds good i got a fostgate 12 to go with it

·
Registered
40 Posts
for future reference i do believe the the difference in the polk DB651 and DB651s is that the slims are thinner in the front ofthe speaker but i believe they are the same in the back

1 - 20 of 23 Posts