Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm looking at getting a 2008 sportsman 500. I drive a 2005 Tundra double-cab limited.

1.Does anyone know if it will fit in the bed of the truck, and be able to close the tailgate?

I'm also looking at purchasing a camper trailer, and getting the atv in the truck bed will be a big factor on what type of trailer I get.

I'm looking at an Outback 210RS, and a Evolution E3 tent trailer. I know the evolution will be just fine, and has a cargo area for the atv. But I'd rather get the trailer for comfort. Hitch weight on the Outback is 545 and the dry weight of the camper is 4548.

1. Will I have any issues with my Tundra pulling this camper dry?
2. Do you think I can put the ATV in the bed and still pull the Outback?

Thanks guys for any help you can give.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When hauling our Magnum 425 in the bed, it fit but barely. With the wieght of the quad and the weight of the trailer, you will probably be pretty close on payload, but you definately won't be short on power.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey guys. I'm looking at getting a 2008 sportsman 500. I drive a 2005 Tundra double-cab limited.

1.Does anyone know if it will fit in the bed of the truck, and be able to close the tailgate?

I'm also looking at purchasing a camper trailer, and getting the atv in the truck bed will be a big factor on what type of trailer I get.

I'm looking at an Outback 210RS, and a Evolution E3 tent trailer. I know the evolution will be just fine, and has a cargo area for the atv. But I'd rather get the trailer for comfort. Hitch weight on the Outback is 545 and the dry weight of the camper is 4548.

1. Will I have any issues with my Tundra pulling this camper dry?
2. Do you think I can put the ATV in the bed and still pull the Outback?

Thanks guys for any help you can give.
i have a 2008 honda rancher es 400cc and I can't close the tailgate when loaded, te 4wheeler is about 2 inches to long, i have some pics in my gallery.
about the trailer check this link http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/184788-towing-capacity/ or this link http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/183142-2006-dc-safe-towing-capacity/ .
hope this helps

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,534 Posts
That 500 is about 735lbs with a full tank. When you start loading an additional 550-600lbs of tongue weight, not counting passengers, other gear, etc, you're probably at or beyond max payload before towing. It sounds like a lot to me even with a WHD, Timkin bags, etc...

·
Registered
917 Posts
I would not do it. There will be some on here that will say go ahead and load it till it hits the stops. There is a lot to consider when towing and the only try way is to go to the scales. Maybe you should look at a small tow hauler.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My 07 suzuki eiger is a little too long to have the tailgate closed and i have also towed a 5000 lb tailer with the atv in the back, i had a quite a bit of sag in the rear and on the last trip i did it was about 800 miles. I would pick up some helper springs or air bags and then a weight distribution hitch. You wont be able to go 70 down the interstate but i maintained about 64 on my trip and still got about 10.5 mpg. just slow up when going up hills and try to reduce the amount of shifting the transmission has to do. Good luck.

Andrew

·
Registered
756 Posts
You might want to think about a sport quad over the 4x4. Not sure if your working or playing but my 04 Banshee and 01 Rockwood 2505 are great together. 25' camper with no slides, the wheeler is around 450. Gate closes perfectly against the tires to lock it in. Obviously I'm not doing any work but i also have the 4x4 Tundra if needed. I take it to Maine a few times a year plus the usual trips that are closer. If your only off by a couple inches you could air down the tires and blow them back up too. Watch the weights, it sounds like your close if not over on the rear axle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help.

I know it's pushing the weight limits. I think I'll stop in my local dealership as well and visit with them. Could we really beef it up with some after market gear? Upgrading suspension, springs, ect? Even putting $3-5k into it would be a cheaper solution than upgrading to a Chevy 1/2HD.

It's too bad. I've got this great Tundra, had it for 3 years, and just recently retired it to my next 20 yr hunting and camping vehicle. It only has 50k miles, and I'll be hard pressed to put 5k on it a year.

May have to rethink that if the wife really wants to get a camp trailer, and not a tent trailer.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
Thanks for all the help.

I know it's pushing the weight limits. I think I'll stop in my local dealership as well and visit with them. Could we really beef it up with some after market gear? Upgrading suspension, springs, ect? Even putting $3-5k into it would be a cheaper solution than upgrading to a Chevy 1/2HD.

It's too bad. I've got this great Tundra, had it for 3 years, and just recently retired it to my next 20 yr hunting and camping vehicle. It only has 50k miles, and I'll be hard pressed to put 5k on it a year.

May have to rethink that if the wife really wants to get a camp trailer, and not a tent trailer.
What about a Toyhauler??

·
Registered
917 Posts
Your load range C tires are also a weak link. Some over loads new tires and WDH will help but your maxing things out.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
if you find that your atv is just a couple inches too long to shut the tail gate you can release some air out of the tires and air them up when you arrive at your destination.

·
Registered
128 Posts
if you find that your atv is just a couple inches too long to shut the tail gate you can release some air out of the tires and air them up when you arrive at your destination.
that's a good point i will do that next time.

QUOTE=coloradonoem;1441079]
[/QUOTE]

I don't think that switching to a chevy 1/2hd will do it for you since your 4wheelers weights 770 lbs dry weight ( let's say 800 with gas )and the hitch weight on the outback is 545 that makes it at least 1300 lbs so... you will need a 3/4 ton truck or get a toy hauler where you load the 4 wheeler in the trailer when towing then loaded in the truck bed when the trailer is parked.
anyways i hope this helps and enjoy retirement and colorado.
p.s. don't kill my elk most likely i will:)

·
Registered
567 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about a Toyhauler??

Yeah, we've looked at these. Problem is, we like to get back in the mountains where no one else goes. The Outback 210RS is about the shortest trailer camper I can find that I feel comfortable getting into my sweet spots.

Looks like I'll probably be going with the Evolution E3 tent trailer/toy hauler combo. Too bad - I was looking forward to the comfort! (unless of course, I can talk my wife into a 3/4 ton!)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Looking at the spec your going to be over weight. The dry weight on that unit will be 5k (4766) that is with no batteries or propane. Now add water,gear,food,beer,quad,tools,gas,people and pets. I will be willing to bet your on the north side of 8k. Have you looked at the 2nd gen Tundras?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking at the spec your going to be over weight. The dry weight on that unit will be 5k (4766) that is with no batteries or propane. Now add water,gear,food,beer,quad,tools,gas,people and pets. I will be willing to bet your on the north side of 8k. Have you looked at the 2nd gen Tundras?
Yeah - I have. I actually just bought my wife a new 2010 Sequoia. The Tundra became my 3rd vehicle - with plans of being my hunting/fishing/camping rig. Until recently I didn't consider pulling anything this large. We've always just tent camped. But with a 2 yr old and another on the way, wife is thinking a little more comfort.

Anyone want to buy a mint, 2005 double cab limited, 53k miles??

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you really want room and want to tow, F250/350 Crewcab diesel-dont even bother with gas.

Quad will fit in the bed and you can haul 2 of those trailers!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts