Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people don't buy the RAV 4 simply because of the appearance and vision blocking qualities of the externally mounted spare tire. I understand Honda has figured out how to get rid of the one on the back of the CR-V. Does any one know if toyota has plans to follow suit? Sure would improve the desirability of the vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know where you heard that people were not buying the RAV because of the spare tire, and I don't know what Toyota's plans are, but I like it.

For one thing, it gives me a full size spare instead of the little black donut "space saver" spare I have on my Corolla.

For another thing, it is easier to get to than other spares I've had.

As far as it blocking vision. I had a worse time with the back seat head rests in my Corolla. They blocked a lot of my view until I removed them.

Of course this is just my opinion... I could be wrong. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't like the rear-mounted spare, but I bought the RAV4 anyway because the vehicle as a whole was still overall the best for our needs. I don't find that it blocks rear vision to any real degree. That's a non-issue. On the other hand, it is something hanging off the rear of the vehicle that you need to remember is there when parking in a confined area, and it does necessitate the use of the large, heavy swinging rear door, which is inconvenient more often than not. As with many other design features, there are trade-offs that some people will be more content with than others.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Just my two cents worth......... I haven't considered the spare tire any
view obstruction at all. I prefer the spare out like that rather than under the
vehicle or under the stuff that may be carried in the back. Also like the
swinging door rather than one that lifts.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Before I bought my Tundra I was seriously wanting a new Rav4(v6 awd). I loved everything about it EXCEPT the spare tire location. Not because of looks or visibility but because of the fact that it protrudes beyond the bumper. I've seen similar arrangements get hit from behind and it's a carnage. There is alot of body damage(expensive) as the point of impact is the spare tire/rear door and not the bumper.
I bought the tundra instead of the rav4 only because of the spare tire.
btw-also in the short list was the ridgeline-really nice but underpowered.
Patrick

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2004 RAV4 got hit from behind and the spare tire actually saved body damage. Dented the cover, but that's it.

Must be why they put old tires on the sides of docks and piers instead of plastic $1000 bumpers from cars.

By the way, "bumper" is a misnomer. The definition of "bumper" is: "something to absorb impact in a collision." No bumper I've seen 'absorbs' the impact of the collision. Most absorb $800 - $1000 from your wallet after a collision.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate the spare tire hanging on the door. I would much prefer how most other suv makers have dealt with this issue by putting the spare inside under the rear mat, it stays cleaner and is very easy to remove. I was told two years ago by a Toyota salesperson that Toyota was going to eliminate the spare on the door.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
A lot of people don't buy the RAV 4 simply because of the appearance and vision blocking qualities of the externally mounted spare tire. I understand Honda has figured out how to get rid of the one on the back of the CR-V. Does any one know if toyota has plans to follow suit? Sure would improve the desirability of the vehicle.
Toyota already has - the RAV4 with run flats..... otherwise it's a trae of between having a full sized spare hanging off the door and not having the external spare tire mount and a temp spare nder the read deck...

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Just a heads up....from what I heard, you can get a full size spare for your vehicle versus the doughnut. I believe it's a cost thing with the dealership. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Anywho, I like having the spare mounted on the outside, whether it on the door or under the vehicle. But I guess you will lose something either way. Inside/under the floor mat, you lose extra storage space. Outside on the door, you lose some visibility. Under the vehicle, you run the chance of damaging the spare from road debris. If it really bothers you, you could always mount it on the roof. :p That way you have the cargo space, won't run the risk of damaging it from road debris, and it won't obstruct your view.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Good Luck when your wife has a flat and the spare is on a roof rack........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just another person's opinion, but we are considering a RAV4 purchase. A main selling point for us is the low liftover height made possible by not storing the spare tire below the cargo compartment. Whether the tire is inside or under the vehicle, as long as it is beneath the cargo area it takes up space preventing the floor from being lower. We've been looking around, and the RAV4's liftover height is the lowest we've found. We've even considered a couple of AWD hatchbacks and station wagons, and even their liftover height is higher than the RAV's.

The reason this is an issue for us is that it is difficult for our dog to jump up into the back of our Sequoia and XC90. We have a folding ramp just for that purpose, but carrying the ramp around is a hassle and takes up space in the back.

We're not going to choose a car just for the dog, obviously, but it is a consideration.

Prospective buyers not wanting the spare hanging on the back door might consider the Sport version with run-flat tires.

·
Registered
27 Posts
By the way, "bumper" is a misnomer. The definition of "bumper" is: "something to absorb impact in a collision." No bumper I've seen 'absorbs' the impact of the collision. Most absorb $800 - $1000 from your wallet after a collision.
lol. That may seem true, but its absorbing the impact of the collision and protecting your frame from direct damage. Better to pay the 800-1000 for the new bumper rather than the price for a new car.:)

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
My 2004 RAV4 got hit from behind and the spare tire actually saved body damage. Dented the cover, but that's it.

Must be why they put old tires on the sides of docks and piers instead of plastic $1000 bumpers from cars.

There is a bumper - it's under the "bumper cover" the problem with the actual bumper system is it doesn't extend to both corners which leaves the corners vulnerable to low impact hits.

They sometimes use tires for large steel hulled boats..... the RAV uses a spare tire in front of thin sheet metal as part of the crumple zone. If you had no tire you would sustain far more damage - easier to replace a door, both rear fenders, wheel wells, door glass, etc.

you option is the RAV with runflats or the Honda equivalent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts