Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure all you 1st gen. Tundra owners have experienced the annoying rattling when driving with the windows down. Have any of you come up with a solution for this? I was thinking of placing some thin adhesive-backed foam strips inside the window track to stiffen up the window. Please let me know if you have any other solutions that have worked for you.

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't access that page. Can you copy the message and reply? Thanks

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hmmm. Is it a common problem?

I do not have that problem on my 2000.... what exactly is going on? Is the window loose or something? :confused:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you roll the windows down, they don't fit in the window track snugly enough. Therefore, every bump that run over causes the windows to rattle. Very annoying. I have an '04 Tundra by the way.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hmmm. Yeah, that sounds very annoying indeed! I am glad mine does not do that (knock on wood).

Now that you mentioned, I think someone mentioned this before and they said that some bolts on the bottom of the window (where it bolts to the track) needs to be tightened. Door panels have to come off to do this, which would concern me about possibly creating door panel rattles after reinstallations.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any other ideas? I can't be the only one with this problem. I tried temporarily placing some adhesive-backed foam strips inside the window track, and it seemed to solve the problem. Once it gets warmer, I will place them in permanently. What has worked for you guys?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have this problem too, but only when the window is 1/4 of the way down. If I hit a large bump, or close the door, I hear a rattle, almost as if the window is fractured somewhere - that kind of sound.

When the window is all the way down, 1/2 way down, or up, I don't hear it.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Check the to make sure the bolt is tight on the door itself. When you open the door it should be just above the latch. If the bolt is loose the window rattles. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN IT! It will snap and then you have to drill it out and get another bolt.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just drop me a pm and i'll forward it to ya, or you could subscribe to this site and get it for yourself.
You wouldn't believe the info you can get for 25 bucks a year

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think I want to replace the window tracks. My inexpensive solution (foam strips between weather stripping) seems to work.

·
Registered
399 Posts
i think i might go get this done, i have the same **** happening with mine...can you send the TSB to my email?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm going in tomorrow for the window, and also to see if my BJ's need to get replaced...also may look into pulley squeal as mentioned on this site...boy do I love the fact that my Tundra is 'made in America' ! :td:

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
did anyone even bother to check that bolt i mentioned? when the window is rolled down and the truck hits bumps, over time it vibrates loose.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tighten the bolts as numerous others have said, I had the same problem about a year ago on my 2000. Tightened them and added a little locktite and that solved the rattles for good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts