Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and there is a lot of good info, but just a specific question, or an opinion... here is what I am thinking:

I want to tint the front windows on my CM. I am thinking 50%, the lightest tint I have found. I also would like to darken the rear windows a bit more, but not too dark.

Has anyone gone with the 50% on the front windows - are you satisifed or do you wish you went with 35%.

Has anyone added tint to the rear factory tint, if yes, what percentage?

I am leaning towards 50% to all windows, but just thought I would get some input first. As always, pics are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
It all depends on the look you want and whether you mind having legal or illegal tint %. I have 28% on my fronts and the factory tint (15%) for the rear. I find the rear to be dark enough and can't imagine going darker but that's just me. Not sure what the tint laws are in your area but you might want to check to keep yourself out of trouble.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I am going to get 20% put on all the way around in the next month or so. Its not legal, but I will deal with the consequences once I cross that bridge. I have always had dark tint and prefer it. 50% won't really make much of a difference, even though it sounds like it would block half the light. Find a car with 50% tint and you'll see what I mean.

Well.... you asked for input. If you are tinting the windows for privacy, go as dark ar you legally can. If you are tinting your windows to block UV light and keep your car cooler, go as dark ar you legally can. If you are tinting the windows because you like the look of tint, go as dark as you legally can.

My old pickup truck had 20% all the way around, then I added an additional 35% to the side windows and 10% to the back window. It made backing up at night a little treacherous. Had to roll down my windows a little bit, but it was nice during the day. I've found that the cops around here don't usually pull over trucks with tint issues, since technically in Maryland the only regulations are for the front windows.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I googled the window tint law for your state and it says it must allow more than 70% of light in! That's very light tint.

If it were me I'd probably go with 35% on the front windows which would be noticeably lighter than your existing factory tint on the rear windows. Hopefully the lighter shade would appear to be legal at a casual glance by a police officer. Of course, if you travel through areas where they are known to inspect the light transmission of tint using a gauge then this probably isn't a good idea.

About 10 years ago here in GA I had some really dark tint on my truck. The GA State Patrol had a roadblock set up and they were checking the tint using a gauge. I failed and was required to go to court. I removed the tint before I went to court and the judge dropped the charges. Currently I have about %20 on the front windows which appears to be very close to the rear windows. I'm willing to take the risk on encountering another roadblock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree the stock tint is dark enough, I was thinking a little darker to on the rear door windows to protect the little one in the back on those long road trips towing the TT. I will most likely leave the back window stock as I will putting a shell on the bed soon, no need to tint that window.

The front windows need a little tint to help with heat/shade, but a light tint so there still is contrast between front and rear windows.

Thanks again for the input, I will post again once the tint is installed. More opinions are welcome!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
15% for me all the way around! It is not legal, but neither are the smoked headlights, taillights, 3rd brake light, or the long tubes I am about to put on. I am not bragging by no means, but I have been pulled over twice in the Beast and never a word about my tinted windows or smoked lenses.

Couple of the pics are before the fogs were installed!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I initially went with 15% in the rears (over factory 15%) and 35% in the fronts with the Tundra CM, and felt the fronts were too light, and added a second layer 35% in the front which I felt was just right. For the Sequoia, I went with 15% in the rears and 15% in the front. The fronts are a tad too dark, but I can live with it. Next time around, I'd probably go for around 20% in the fronts.

If you're worried about heat protection... I'd ended up finding a dealer that has Llumar "Air Blue" tint and got the front windshields of all my vehicles covered. Air Blue is an 80% tint which from what I've read is legal in California. It blocks out 43% of heat which is better than some of the cheaper dyed tints out there. But its also pricey, about $200 a windshield. I live in somewhat of a desert so this tint keeps my car cool on those 110 degree California mornings.

Automotive Formula One Llumar Car window tinting Air Blue Laguna Hills - Tint Plus
LLumar Automotive Performance Specifications

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
wow. lots of people want layer upon layer of tint. not for me....but to each his own.

dont do 50 percent, its not even worth the time. 35 is great for the fronts, leave the rears alone, and if u are on a long trip that the sun is going to bother the little ones, do what we do, either put up a pillow case in the window to block it completely or get the little roll up shade things from babies r us etc for those few times u need it. helps alot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Likeyour thinking, thanks again guys!

wow. lots of people want layer upon layer of tint. not for me....but to each his own.

dont do 50 percent, its not even worth the time. 35 is great for the fronts, leave the rears alone, and if u are on a long trip that the sun is going to bother the little ones, do what we do, either put up a pillow case in the window to block it completely or get the little roll up shade things from babies r us etc for those few times u need it. helps alot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just had 20% installed Friday all the way around and I am very pleased. The rear windows were factory tinted and with the addition of the 20% it is now about 5%. It makes the black RW look sharp. As soon as the rain stops I will get some pics.

·
Registered
41 Posts
While we are on this subject, does anyone know what the total amount of light penetration would be if you installed 50% tint on the front side windows.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
This is mine with 20% on the front 2 and 30% on the remaining windows (over the factory tint). The lightest I would ever consider going is a 30%, I've had 35% and 40% on other vehicles and it's not worth it.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
What percentage would you say the stock rear tint would be rated at?

I have heard 15% and 20%. My installer simply matched it up. It depends on what type of tint and brand that you use from what I have found. I wanted my truck's windows to match for a flow. Since I have a CrewMax, I wanted the side fronts and backs to match......

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
What percentage would you say the stock rear tint would be rated at?
It gives the look of about 20%-30% but doesn't reduce heat as much as anaftermarket tint would, it's more for looks. I can feel the difference in our Highlander, the driver and passenger seat (30% tint) are cooler after sitting in the sun vs. the back seat (factory tint).

·
Registered
918 Posts
I went with 65% once. I walked into a tint place and asked for the darkest legal. That's what I got. Here in PA the tint laws don't give a percentage but simply say it must permit a law enforcement officer to see through. (Never completely understood the point since someone with a gun could be in the backseat but there is no limit to back seat darkness.)

Every tint shop I went to said that in real world terms cops would write you a ticket for anything transmitting less than about 65 or 70% of usable light.

With 65% I could see that it was mildly tinted in some angles when it was dark out. In bright daylight staring directly at the truck from the side I couldn't tell it was tinted at all. It seemed kind of a waste of 100 bucks

After that I went with 20% to replace what I had on that truck and 20 again on my Crewmax. Seems a good compromise, pretty closely matching the stock rears without making nighttime visibility ridiculously bad. I say if I can't do 20% I probably wouldn't bother. Not only do the real light ones almost not look like they're tinted but if it's that far off from the rear it looks no better than stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tint percentage will actually depends on the tint law in your state. I got my car tinted 35% front and back and 30% on the door windows and I'm really impressed with the results. I asked help from www.TintBuyer.com.:tu: They provided me free relevant information for tint buyers such as its benefits, prices, brands, laws involved in every state and most importantly they help me locate the best window tinters near my area. I hope this one helps, thanks dude :)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The closet match to factory is going to 11%,the better shops have it
and its very,very close to perfect.
Even using the light meter the fractional difference is within just less then 1%

Limo black(5%) on anything but a black vehicle looks cheap and plastic,there are many with a very distorted comprehension of "Cool" which is easily discerned by the public majority.

Which of coarse has nothing to do with lifted 2WD trucks . . . . . . . . ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The closet match to factory is going to 11%,the better shops have it
and its very,very close to perfect.
Even using the light meter the fractional difference is within just less then 1%

Limo black(5%) on anything but a black vehicle looks cheap and plastic,there are many with a very distorted comprehension of "Cool" which is easily discerned by the public majority.

Which of coarse has nothing to do with lifted 2WD trucks . . . . . . . . ;)

Good info - thanks!!

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I went 15% on the sides and back I also 70% on the front it looked great but I didnt like the view thru the front windshield so I removed it from the front

1 - 20 of 41 Posts