Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have had my Tundra for about a month now. I bought it used from a guy that took it to the beach alot. Was wondering how I could keep the trimming maintained or if I should even worry about this. Does anyone have any idea of how to get rid of the spotting or prevent it from getting works. It seems to be occuring on all the trimming on all windows. Here are some pics.

:ts:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Start out with a tiny bit of bleach on a rag and rub the affected area. Maybe some mildew remover and some #0000 steel wool can get you done. That is the only way I have found to remove those spots short of just getting new trim.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start out with a tiny bit of bleach on a rag and rub the affected area. Maybe some mildew remover and some #0000 steel wool can get you done. That is the only way I have found to remove those spots short of just getting new trim.

So is this mildew or is it the saltwater eating away at the rubber?

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
That looks like mildew to me. I have never heard of salt eating away at rubber like that.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
After the bleach rub down, treat the trim with Klasse AIO if you have any. I use it alot on peoples cars and it really gives a nice shine and coat of protection to the trim. It will dirty your applicator pad at first, but after a few applications it will look great.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
After the bleach rub down, treat the trim with Klasse AIO if you have any. I use it alot on peoples cars and it really gives a nice shine and coat of protection to the trim. It will dirty your applicator pad at first, but after a few applications it will look great.
i never thought about it being mildew! i thought it might be rust or something coming through. i'm definately going to try this tomorrow! where can i get that KLASSE AIO at? thanks alot for the info!!!

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
cool! thanks brandon! i got another question for ya. what is a clay bar exactaly and how is the best way to use it? again, thanks!
From the second your car leaves the factory it is exposed to all types of contaminents such as fall out, rail dust, brake dust from the car hauler, sea salt if it comes in by ship. These contaminents get embeded in your clearcoat leaving your paint feeling gritty and rough. Place your hand in a thin sandwhich baggie and rub it across your paint after you wash. The baggie will enhance the feeling in your finger tips. If it feels like fine grit sand paper then you need to clay.

Clay bars can be purchased at any auto parts store and the most popular brand seems to be Clay Magic (but due to registration laws its all the same). Take the clay and cut off a small piece of it, about 1/4 of the bar. Fold the clay flat and apply lube to the area you are claying. The clay comes with a bottle of lube but I just use the car wash shampoo and a bucket of water as its much cheaper and goes alot further. Apply plenty of lube and beging working a small area with the clay by rubbing it lightly across the paint back and forth. You will actually feel the clay pulling out the contaminents as you glide along. When the clay stopps pulling and the paint becomes smooth you'll know that area is finished. Take your baggie again and test the area. This time it should be as smooth as glass. Repeat the process until the entire car is done including the glass and chrome.

Keep in mind that the clay will remove any waxes or sealants you have on the car so be prepared to re-wax afterwards. You will be surprised at just how much dirt the clay pulls out of even a new car, and it will really enhance the finished detail of an older car.

Clay about every 6 months or as you feel its needed. I do my own cars 2 times a year with a major detail of claying, polishing and sealants. Then I just re-apply the sealant every month for good protection. But I never do a detail for anyone without claying first. Its one of the most important steps and one of the easiest too. Depending on the condition of the vehicle it should take an average of about 30 minutes to clay an entire car.

Hope that helped.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
From the second your car leaves the factory it is exposed to all types of contaminents such as fall out, rail dust, brake dust from the car hauler, sea salt if it comes in by ship. These contaminents get embeded in your clearcoat leaving your paint feeling gritty and rough. Place your hand in a thin sandwhich baggie and rub it across your paint after you wash. The baggie will enhance the feeling in your finger tips. If it feels like fine grit sand paper then you need to clay.

Clay bars can be purchased at any auto parts store and the most popular brand seems to be Clay Magic (but due to registration laws its all the same). Take the clay and cut off a small piece of it, about 1/4 of the bar. Fold the clay flat and apply lube to the area you are claying. The clay comes with a bottle of lube but I just use the car wash shampoo and a bucket of water as its much cheaper and goes alot further. Apply plenty of lube and beging working a small area with the clay by rubbing it lightly across the paint back and forth. You will actually feel the clay pulling out the contaminents as you glide along. When the clay stopps pulling and the paint becomes smooth you'll know that area is finished. Take your baggie again and test the area. This time it should be as smooth as glass. Repeat the process until the entire car is done including the glass and chrome.

Keep in mind that the clay will remove any waxes or sealants you have on the car so be prepared to re-wax afterwards. You will be surprised at just how much dirt the clay pulls out of even a new car, and it will really enhance the finished detail of an older car.

Clay about every 6 months or as you feel its needed. I do my own cars 2 times a year with a major detail of claying, polishing and sealants. Then I just re-apply the sealant every month for good protection. But I never do a detail for anyone without claying first. Its one of the most important steps and one of the easiest too. Depending on the condition of the vehicle it should take an average of about 30 minutes to clay an entire car.

Hope that helped.
FREAKING AWSOME!!! that was some damn good info!! thanks jumbo jet! i'll be doing this this weekend. i've been a member with tundrasolutions for a year and i never knew there was a detailing forum! i just did the lifetime membership. you guys are AWSOME and i'll definately hit the detail forums everyday now! THANKS AGAIN FOR THE GREAT INFO!!!
:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Jumbo Jett= Clay Bar master!!! You nailed that like a split hog!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have had my Tundra for about a month now. I bought it used from a guy that took it to the beach alot. Was wondering how I could keep the trimming maintained or if I should even worry about this. Does anyone have any idea of how to get rid of the spotting or prevent it from getting works. It seems to be occuring on all the trimming on all windows. Here are some pics.

:ts:
Mine had the same: I used the Mr. Clean Magic sponge on it followed by Poorboys Trim Restorer. Looks amazing now, but thats how I did it, Brandon1 and Jumbo Jett have a great method too.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
FREAKING AWSOME!!! that was some damn good info!! thanks jumbo jet! i'll be doing this this weekend. i've been a member with tundrasolutions for a year and i never knew there was a detailing forum! i just did the lifetime membership. you guys are AWSOME and i'll definately hit the detail forums everyday now! THANKS AGAIN FOR THE GREAT INFO!!!
:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

You are very welcome. I'm glad I could help you out.

Youre right. There are alot of good people here with great ideas and techniques. You'll get some good info here.

Happy Detailing!

Mark

·
Registered
635 Posts
Another Klasse vote for the trim. 303 runs & streaks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That looks like mildew to me. I have never heard of salt eating away at rubber like that.
Wow thanks for the response Brandon, I will try this out today.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just noticed that my tundra is suffering from the same problem. Oddly enough, I just bought some Mr. clean magic sponges the other day with some bathroom cleaner... I'll give this a try!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I used a Mr. Clean magic Eraser on the problem areas, and it removed most of the spotting / mildew, but it didn't remove all of it. Maybe I need to do it multiple times as some may be deeper than the others.

Good idea though!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'd never heard of some of those treatment ideas before--good info! Once you have that trim clean, the new spray detailers on the market (I like Turtle Wax Ice) do a great job at protecting that trim and keeping it nice and shiny with no residue and it doesn't leave "sliminess" like most other detail products.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts