Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 DC 4x4 270,000 Mi
Hit a small tree limb & did not break or crack glass but driver side pillar molding is twisted out of shape (Not laying flat on glass)
Can this molding be removed & replaced without glass removal or reset ?
I removed the bottom cowl & wipers & side piece looks like a screw holding it at bottom
Per phone call, One windshield shop says glass has to come out, another says molding can be replaced without glass replace
Thanks
David

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Well if the old one can come out with the glass in then the new one could probably go back in too. That being said it would be a major PIA. Soak the molding in a bucket of hot water first to keep it pliable then smother it in dish soap to put it on. Once in place run the hose over it with lots of cold water to wash out the soap and get the molding to hold its shape.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, looks like a windshield remove/reset
I did not pull rubber molding out but found floorboard very wet & behind kick panel too
Been having some early starter engage & figured it was relay related, but after drying wiring behind side panel,
looks like the the moisture maybe the culprit.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Yes, if you have a water leak remove the glass and reseal as you stated. The molding around the glass us purely cosmetic. The waterproofing is done by the urethane sealer bead thats applied to the glass then set to the body. Did you have a water leak before hitting the tree limb? Just seems odd that you hit a limb hard enough to dislodge the glass and not break it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes had leak before Twice, 2 years ago mobile glass man put some sealant around some leaky spots, he sprayed soapy water around glass & put sealant without removing glass
Wondering now if he caused molding to fail
Any way, I have ordered new rubber & glass reset next week if it warms up
I did find out these national glass companies would not touch it unless insurance claim up front

·
Registered
54 Posts
When you took off wipers/cowling, the receivers for torx screws originally had a thin paper like gasket which has worn out, and the one that is over your pass side which does not drain onto channel goes straight into blower under dash in cab.
Silicone seal that and your leak should disappear.
Let us know.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
He said water behind the kick panel too so that would make me think the leak is at the A pillar and water is finding its way down to the kick panel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Perhaps the ac condensation drain needs a clearing?
Sorry I missed the K Panel part.
Eyes are still not quite back to snuff yet.
Also if a sunroof, clear those drain tibes.
Just tossing, becuz I had SafeLite screw my install once and rust almost destroyed my girl. Rven tho I fought & got them to pay for damage repair, they put in the wrong upper seal gasket, stripped my ext pillar screws and did not replace cowling screws nor evenly lay down sealant or new glass. I stripped i
20190805_164330.jpg
t all back, bought torx scews, sealant and fixed it proper.
NO MORE LEAKS!!!
20190805_164433.jpg

They suck here in SoFla.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for replies, 06Limited, The glass install I had done is probably the culprit that caused my problems but
The leak was very minor until the tree limb rearranged the molding

·
Registered
54 Posts
I sure hope you request their most experienced installer.
Make sure to use correct Upper seal which spans full across then under ext A Arm trim!
You're very welcome. We're all in the Tundra Family.
(y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts