Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody on here have experiences with windshield tint? Im looking at getting 35 on my windshield and im wondering if anyone has any pictures or anything, or if it would cause seeing out at night to be harder.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Ive seen it done before, not on a Tundra though.

I dont think it would be harder to see out at night but I guess it depends on the persons eyes. I have 5% all around (not windshield though LOL) and I dont have any problems seeing out at night while others ask me all the time "how the hell can you see out at night".

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Usually you cant do a 'windshield' less you have some sort of medical waiver that the authorities concur with. Not to be confused with the small strip across the top of the windshield.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im doing the whole windshield, cops arnt to strict about it in south carolina, i see people ride around with 5% all around and 20% on the shield everyday

·
Banned
444 Posts
SAY WHAT? Windshield? thought the Arkansas people where bad.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Usually you cant do a 'windshield' less you have some sort of medical waiver that the authorities concur with. Not to be confused with the small strip across the top of the windshield.

Tundras on here w/ HID kits and retros are illegal too but it doesnt stop us. :devil:

In Texas we can have whatever % we want on the back windows but up front legal is 35%+. I have 5% up front and Ive never got pulled over specifically for tint....I even got pulled over once in my BMW for speeding at night and I got a warning for speeding and he didnt say 1 thing about my 5% tint up front.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, my friend had his mustang shaker done. it was very hard to tell it was tinted.
but i knew.
he got away with it, here in south florida.
anyway, he said it wasn't a problem at night at all.
worse case you take it off.
it does look awesome combined with all around tint.
and a extra strip accross the windshield,
which make it alot harder for the police to notice since there eye's are on the strip.
but it has to be done right, no air bubbles.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I have 5% all around and 30% windshield. I only got pulled over once in FL and got ticket of course. And in SC I got warning for dark windows. I know for 100% that I will never go to CA, since I would get pulled over every 5 minutes of driving with these windows.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I had 20% front windows 14%-15% on tint meter and I thought it was somewhat hard to see out of at night or while backing the boat up. Plus dad b!tchin about him not being able to see out of it.

I switched to Johnson Marathon 26% 21%-22% on tint meter can see out of it just fine at night or while backing up a boat.

It must be nice to have windshield tint but I think it might be hard to see out of at night especially with 35%.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I have 70% on my windshield and from the inside, you can't tell at all. But from the outside.....you can tell when all my windows are up. When they're all down, you can't tell.

I want to go 50% on the windshield, but any darker on my truck and I'd basically be demanding the cops to pull me over. I get away with 70% easily.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
The basic concept behind tint laws boils down to two innocuous words: Officer Safety.

Officer Safety has a much higher intrinsic value than, say, HIDs out of whack. All it takes is one 'wrong time at the wrong place' situation for you to learn a potentially dangerous lesson. Maybe you just get a ticket / fine. Or, maybe you get jerked out at gun point because the officer thought he observed a furtive gesture as he approached your vehicle.

In regards to the OP from South Carolina, it appears as though a tint violation there is actually a misdemeanor. A misdmeanor can result in handcuffs in lieu of a mere ticket. But hey, whatta I know.....

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
That is a tough one to argue as there are valid points on both sides. On one hand it is hard to understand that a 0.005" thick sheet of film on a window can be such a threat to society. Usually when I challenge the cops to cite a documented incident caused by window tint, crickets are heard. The only externally visible portions of a seated driver are his head and shoulders....plenty of other concealed spots for weapons and the like behind lots of sheet metal, even with all windows completely untinted. Perhaps the underlying basis here is that when an enthusiast has money for accessories, he also has money to pay fines. Still, common sense dictates it has to be dangerous when the LEO cannot make eye contact with the driver because of tint. I also know from personal experience even modest tint can cause visibility problems to the driver at night in unlit areas. I don't know....I am on the fence.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Cant really answer that Tinik. I'm just providing some insight into the thought process of what may or may not transpire. I haven't written a ticket in over 25 years. I can tell you that no one is gonna win this argument by saying, "Everyone else does it". Yup, its not a high priority, but it would be my bad luck (and apparently yours as well) to run into the one bored traffic cop or highway patrolman.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The basic concept behind tint laws boils down to two innocuous words: Officer Safety.

Officer Safety has a much higher intrinsic value than, say, HIDs out of whack. All it takes is one 'wrong time at the wrong place' situation for you to learn a potentially dangerous lesson. Maybe you just get a ticket / fine. Or, maybe you get jerked out at gun point because the officer thought he observed a furtive gesture as he approached your vehicle.

You can also get a gun pulled on you w/o tint if youre making any furtive gestures. Im smart enough to know not to make any sudden moves when I get pulled over until the officer approaches me.

Texas tint law use to state that you can run whatever percentage you want on the rear of SUVs and trucks & 35% up front. Cars had to run 35% all around. Within the last 6-7 months they changed the law, now any vehicle (SUV / truck / car) can have whatever % they want on the rears and 35% up front.

I cant see them changing the law if it was really that dangerous. Even w/ a vehicle that has legal 35% tint and a black or dark interior its hard to see in it at night with the windows rolled up.

I dont even think cops care about tint unless:

A.) Youre driving stupid and they kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone w/ the tint ticket

OR

B.) Youre in a pimped out car w/ the music bumping causing the cop to look over and notice the dark tint and even then I doubt youll get pulled over.

I dont think my boring silver Tundra attracks any attention even w/ the illegal tint up front. ;)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
isn't it interesting how the different states have different tint laws... and all that goes out the window when it comes to limo's??? what's up with that?? if your dc should become a tc or a qc then you could 0% all your windows out legally.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Some things in life are like this, if you have to second guess it you probably should avoid it. Can you tint the windshield? Sure. Is it illegal? Probably. Will it give you a ticket? Eventually, most likely. Will it be harder to see? Not really. Does it look cool? Sure does.
I have seen many cars with tint on the front windshield here in Cali, in fact my brothers long time girlfriend has hers tinted on her Acura. It isn't dark, I actually never noticed until I sat in her car recently. I'm not sure how dark 30% is but for some reason I don't think hers is that dark, it is just enough to reduce glare.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts