Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought any of the new Tundra aftermarket wiper refills? I noticed that the new Tundra has some kind of new wiper blade that I haven't seen before. I don't need one for a while, but I was wondering where you would get one besides Toyota.

·
Registered
848 Posts
the truck isnt even 2 months old why would we be changing the wipers yet?

besides you cant beat oem wiper blades they are not that expencive

·
Registered
11 Posts
Okay, it's off-topic, but I can't stand it anymore...

What the heck does "OEM" stand for?

I know I'll probably feel pretty dumb after someone lets me know about this, but I'm clueless for now!

Thanks.

Oh, and by the way, I was wondering the same thing about the wiper refills. The blades that come with our new Tundras are pretty weird!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the truck isnt even 2 months old why would we be changing the wipers yet?

besides you cant beat oem wiper blades they are not that expencive
Let me repeat myself: I don't need them right now. I'm just trying to see if by chance some other people have seen them, where they might be getting them, and how much they cost. They are quite a bit larger and different than any wiper blade I've seen and I don't want to be going to the Toyota dealership to pick up wiper blades. Read what other people post before you reply.

Okay, it's off-topic, but I can't stand it anymore...

What the heck does "OEM" stand for?

I know I'll probably feel pretty dumb after someone lets me know about this, but I'm clueless for now!

Thanks.

Oh, and by the way, I was wondering the same thing about the wiper refills. The blades that come with our new Tundras are pretty weird!
MooreG...Google is your friend. From Wikipedia: Original equipment manufacturer, or OEM, is a term that refers to a situation in which one company purchases a manufactured product from another company and resells the product as its own, usually as a part of a larger product it sells. However, there is confusion among many as to whether OEM refers to the company that buys the product and resells it or the company that originally manufactured the product.

If you do any research into the term OEM you will find that it is actually a misnomer. I think what stripped honda meant to say is that it's easier to just buy it directly from Toyota which is what I am trying to avoid.

·
Registered
848 Posts
i read what you posted and i am asking why you would want non oem parts on your truck? there is a company making these new wipers and they are avail at autozone/kragen i believe it is rain-x that is selling them

if your that worried about running to the dealer to get new blades then buy 2 sets and just have them sitting in your garage so you have them when you need them

in my eyes you cant beat oem quality on most parts

·
Registered
19 Posts
i read what you posted and i am asking why you would want non oem parts on your truck? there is a company making these new wipers and they are avail at autozone/kragen i believe it is rain-x that is selling them

if your that worried about running to the dealer to get new blades then buy 2 sets and just have them sitting in your garage so you have them when you need them

in my eyes you cant beat oem quality on most parts
Ok, I'll chime in on this. Its proactive to begin to notice "non-standard" hard to find OEM parts for your vehicle well in advance of need. That does not necessarily mean you run out and buy some OEM equipment from the dealer to shelve for the future. What you may have in your area I might not or even know about.

My dad owned a early VW Passat (circa 1992) with the strangest driver side wiper blade I have ever seen. It was only available from the "stealership" for the first 24 months-at a cost of $35.00 for ONE blade!

I also own a VW Touareg and while I agree that OEM equipment is great, I can buy the OEM oil filter from the VW dealer for $30.00 each, or the very same OEM filter from another source for $8.00 each. That's a $22.00 savings and the box has the same markings. How did I know the difference between the two when I needed it? I was proactive and began to inquire around well in advance of need. That allowed me to save money on several things that were "required" during warranty maintenance purposes in the first 50K miles.

Its been written here several times during my brief period of being a member that Toyota parts are often more expensive than others. Why not start early on finding OEM specification parts from an entity other than the dealer? Is there any harm? Nope, because this is a owner's forum and someone here may already have beneficial information. In fact you may have just provided concrete proof of this in your post by indicating that an alternate source is already avail. Maybe "glb" had no idea! :tu:

·
Registered
8 Posts
It still amazes me that someone will spend 30,000.00 + dollars on a finely engineered vehicle and then want to save 10 whole bucks on this or that. Just remember if autozone or napa built a vehicle it wouldnt last a week....

·
Registered
848 Posts
Ok, I'll chime in on this. Its proactive to begin to notice "non-standard" hard to find OEM parts for your vehicle well in advance of need. That does not necessarily mean you run out and buy some OEM equipment from the dealer to shelve for the future. What you may have in your area I might not or even know about.

My dad owned a early VW Passat (circa 1992) with the strangest driver side wiper blade I have ever seen. It was only available from the "stealership" for the first 24 months-at a cost of $35.00 for ONE blade!

I also own a VW Touareg and while I agree that OEM equipment is great, I can buy the OEM oil filter from the VW dealer for $30.00 each, or the very same OEM filter from another source for $8.00 each. That's a $22.00 savings and the box has the same markings. How did I know the difference between the two when I needed it? I was proactive and began to inquire around well in advance of need. That allowed me to save money on several things that were "required" during warranty maintenance purposes in the first 50K miles.

Its been written here several times during my brief period of being a member that Toyota parts are often more expensive than others. Why not start early on finding OEM specification parts from an entity other than the dealer? Is there any harm? Nope, because this is a owner's forum and someone here may already have beneficial information. In fact you may have just provided concrete proof of this in your post by indicating that an alternate source is already avail. Maybe "glb" had no idea! :tu:

its a known fact that a vw has the most overpriced parts out there and i wouldnt touch a vw with a 10 ft pole ... but i believe your wrong on the prices of toyota parts ... they are actually alot cheaper then nissan/mazda up until now i have never paid more then 3.99 for oem wiper inserts when you use the coupons the dealer sends you ... its funny the mentality people have towards dealers and their prices. you gotta understand that your getting proper fit and great quality for what you get pay for you can do what you want but its oem parts for me ..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its a known fact that a vw has the most overpriced parts out there and i wouldnt touch a vw with a 10 ft pole ... but i believe your wrong on the prices of toyota parts ... they are actually alot cheaper then nissan/mazda up until now i have never paid more then 3.99 for oem wiper inserts when you use the coupons the dealer sends you ... its funny the mentality people have towards dealers and their prices. you gotta understand that your getting proper fit and great quality for what you get pay for you can do what you want but its oem parts for me ..
You are all right, I'm going straight to Toyota for my wiper blades. End of discussion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for re-iterating my point. VW does have some of the most over priced parts out there (I do not care that you would not touch a VW with a 10' pole, I did, and it matters not to the discussion). I saved money by being proactive and figuring out ahead of time that there are "within spec" OEM products out there available from someone other than the dealer. Maybe "glb" wants to do the same. Is that wrong? Am I the only individual that feels this way? Do all individuals here take their vehicle to the dealer for every service required? I bet some here, as I do, service, i.e perform oil changes on their own vehicle. Maybe they do other things as well. Heaven forbid we should try and save money......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for re-iterating my point. VW does have some of the most over priced parts out there (I do not care that you would not touch a VW with a 10' pole, I did, and it matters not to the discussion). I saved money by being proactive and figuring out ahead of time that there are "within spec" OEM products out there available from someone other than the dealer. Maybe "glb" wants to do the same. Is that wrong? Am I the only individual that feels this way? Do all individuals here take their vehicle to the dealer for every service required? I bet some here, as I do, service, i.e perform oil changes on their own vehicle. Maybe they do other things as well. Heaven forbid we should try and save money......
Thank you vwtreg. Chances are, I'd end up going to the Toyota dealership anyway. I was really just trying to find out more about these windshield wipers because I had never seen them before. I thought maybe they weren't new, just new to me. I think they look pretty funky and I was just wondering if anyone had seen them in the wild. Funny thing is, I usually take my Toyotas to the dealer for just about everything, except wiper blades because up until now my wipers didn't seem like that big of a deal to buy elsewhere. Oil changes, routine maintenance, etc. all done at the dealership because I KNOW what good service you are getting there.

I was just wondering about these seemingly new wiper blades.

If it were up to these two, we'd be buying gas at Toyota dealerships, too. I understand their point, but I was just looking for information, not necessarily to buy.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I noticed that, too. Mine has always been very firm and stiff, but now it's as limp as a dish rag.

Uh, that is...my new Tundra's windshield wipers. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts