Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Guys,

I want to install an FM modulator, such as the iSimple IS77, to listen to my iPod (iPhone) through the factory radio, a Matsu****a 6 disc changer, model no. 86120-0c040.

When I pulled out the radio I discovered that there is a 2nd connector receptacle in back with nothing plugged in.

Does anyone know if this receptacle is something I can use? Most of the FM modulators I've seen speak of an adapter cable, but I figured that I would have to use the antenna input since my radio doesn't have controls for an external device.

Thing two: does anyone know how to remove the antenna coax from the radio? It doesn't appear to just unplug like the generic antenna connection I was expecting.

Appreciate any help/tips.

:beavbutt:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not too sure about your particular radio, but I was in the same spot as you a few years back. I have a 2006 tundra and to get my factory radio I Pod ready would've ran me roughly $200. For $400 I bought a blue tooth CD player with a I Pod connection installed for free at best Buy. Just a thought.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just installed a kenwood cd player that is ipod compatible for $150 - works great and charges my ipod, too.

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
I've got a USA Spec PA15-TOY from Crutchfield that does the trick for me. Charges the Ipod and has an AUX input so I can hook up something else like a XM if I wish. Comes with all the instructions and cables for $149 shipped. Since mine has OEM JBL, I plugged mine into the harness under the center console by the rear entertainment system.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Maybe the second connector is for a factory amp that you might not have??
My antenna just pulled out like the generics you've seen everywhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone gave me a cassette adapter a coupla days ago and it works 1000% better than the FM transmitter p-o-s I was yelling at. It works much better than I expected. First time I've pushed the "TAPE" button in years. This'll do for now.

I've decided that when the time comes I'm just gonna get a new player with an iPod and/or MP3 connections incorporated. It turns out I can pick one up for as much or slightly more than what I'd pay for a decent FM modulator.

I appreciate everyone's input.

:beavbutt:

·
Registered
105 Posts
From personal experience, I hated the FM modulator. It's a great idea but to much interference for my liking. Honestly, you're better off with a tape adapter. id that is something you don't like then the next thing to do if you want to keep the factory radio is to go with the usa spec from crutchfield. They have several options to choose from. I would personally just give them a call since some models will be able to utilize your steering wheel control but doesn't work with the 6 disc changer from toyota. I also seen that several people also just got double dins from other toyotas. I don't know about much about it but they could be something to look fwd too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts