Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our one owner 2008 SR5 Sequoia was attacked by squirrels who severed about 20 wires on the engine wiring harness coming through the passenger side firewall. It started and ran one day and wouldn't start the next. Upon visiting with the local Toyota service manager, he gave a rough estimate of $7200 to fix, $4700 of which was the wiring harness itself. The car has been the best vehicle I have ever owned and is low mileage. It has not been parked inside all its life and shows some sun damage. It has a few dents, some hail and some parking lot. Kelly Blue Book lists it at $10-12,000. I don't have any insurance that would cover it, having dropped the collision and comprehensive a few years ago, and home owners will not. I have had one mechanic look at it to splice the wires and he declined the job. Two others said they would look at it and have not made an attempt in 6 weeks. One local wrecking yard offered $1500 and one car dealer offered $1000 trade. I would like to hear from some of you and your ideas of which direction to take. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldn't try to splice the harness after rodent damage. There is no human way to track every place it was bit. If you like the truck fix it right by replacing the harness, it doesn't need to be at the dealer. At current market you probably won't be able to replace it at cost anywhere close to the repair bill.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't try to splice the harness after rodent damage. There is no human way to track every place it was bit. If you like the truck fix it right by replacing the harness, it doesn't need to be at the dealer. At current market you probably won't be able to replace it at cost anywhere close to the repair bill.
Would you trust a used harness from a salvage yard?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
For $7 grand I would splice it. Yes, it would be super tedious but for that price, what do you have to lose but some of your own labor?
Yes, buying a used wireharness is also an option but you might have to make sure its same year, same trim. How bad would that suck to install a replacement just to notice a missing connector?
Plus the time to remove and reinstall is pretty significant. You said its the one coming through the firewall so thats the engine room main. Thats a massive pain in the ass getting to all the connections under the dash and pulling that out, not to mention all the connections under the hood.
If you're not comfortable trying to splice yourself I would keep asking around for a local mechanic or maybe even your local stereo shop. Hell those guys probably spend more time on wiring and splicing that any mechanics do.

Check out post 6, I know its for a 4runner but you get the idea of what you would be into for a re and re.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts