Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Wiring harness in glove box

7K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  khughs 
#1 ·
for electric brake set-up.....I am installing a brake controller..What extras do I have to buy in order to use the Toyota wiring harness that came with the truck? Is this a plug & play install?

What brand of brake controller do you use and also which equalizer hitch..?

Thanks

#2 ·
I had a Pilot in my Tacoma and, using the harness, everything just plugged in (the Tundra will be the same). There is alot of talk about the different brake controllers but I have found that many like the Tekonsha Prodigy and P3. You will find about as many opinions as people, but looking at several towing forums, this forum and some trailer forums----it looks like the Tekonsha gets the most positive comments. The Pilot that I had worked fine, but there was alot of jerky action.....i'll prolly go with the Prodigy before camping season.

#4 ·
Forget the Toyota wiring harness. Buy a Tekonsha product and spend a bit more for the plug-n-play harness from them.

The Toyota harness is not plug-n-play.

#6 ·
I don't see what the big deal with everyone saying to just get the harness. If you've already got the OEM harness, use it. No need to spend $20 on something that will take you 5 minutes to wire up. There are 4-5 wires that you need to put together and while the colors may be different on the wires, there is a huge yellow label on the Tekonsha harness that shows every major make and what the wire colors will be (including Toyota).

#7 ·
I don't see what the big deal with everyone saying to just get the harness. If you've already got the OEM harness, use it. No need to spend $20 on something that will take you 5 minutes to wire up.
That may be a true statement, but there are those who don't know how to do proper wiring, whether soldering or crimping, and to be on the safe side it would be advisable for them to buy a prewired harness. We are talking about wiring brakes to stop a lot of weight, not a stereo for music.

#8 ·
That may be a true statement, but there are those who don't know how to do proper wiring, whether soldering or crimping, and to be on the safe side it would be advisable for them to buy a prewired harness. We are talking about wiring brakes to stop a lot of weight, not a stereo for music.
And they are probably the same ones who can't figure out how to use SEARCH.:eek:

#9 ·
Prodigy controller

If you decide to wire the controller pigtails together, ONLY connect the ones as directed on the BIG yellow sticker on the pigtail from Tekonsha there will be a green wire left over on the Toyota pigtail, just tape it or cap it off DON'T connect to ANYTHING (I know this from experience :( )

The safest and easiest method is to get the Toyota Tekonsha connector available lots of places online.

Check out the threads mentioned previously and join us n the towing forum as well. Lots of knowledgeable people there willing to help.

#10 ·
I don't see what the big deal with everyone saying to just get the harness. If you've already got the OEM harness, use it. No need to spend $20 on something that will take you 5 minutes to wire up. There are 4-5 wires that you need to put together and while the colors may be different on the wires, there is a huge yellow label on the Tekonsha harness that shows every major make and what the wire colors will be (including Toyota).
buy the harness!....you will waste more time fiddling around trying to make a new harness than its worth....is it easy to make a new harness? yes but for many who put a value on their time, it makes better sense to simply buy one.....

#11 ·
Honestly, if someone is taking on the installation of the brake controller itself on, crimping wires isn't exactly complicated. Yes, I agree that it's a very important piece of equipment but if wire crimps were so bad, Tekonsha wouldn't even think of throwing them in with the installation kit.

buy the harness!....you will waste more time fiddling around trying to make a new harness than its worth....is it easy to make a new harness? yes but for many who put a value on their time, it makes better sense to simply buy one.....
Really? Looking at the dollars and cents, we're looking at $2/minute if the $20 harness takes less than 10 minutes to make. Unless you're earning $120/hr, I'd say it's worth it.

I suppose all this is really up to the user but I'm just trying to point out how easy it is here. Crimping 4 wires together isn't rocket science and if this forum is all about helping the DIY'r then lets not scare them away from simple tasks such as this.

#12 ·
Crimping 4 wires together isn't rocket science and if this forum is all about helping the DIY'r then lets not scare them away from simple tasks such as this.
The Tekonsha harness makes for a more professional looking wiring job, much easier to trouble-shoot if something doesn't work properly, especially if the Toyota/Tekonsha wiring diagrams are misplaced or thrown away. A $15.00 dollar investment on a $30k truck is insignificant. I opted for the Tekonsha harness....and I spent 20 years working on "rocket" electronics. To each his own........just my $0.02.

#13 ·
Honestly, if someone is taking on the installation of the brake controller itself on, crimping wires isn't exactly complicated. Yes, I agree that it's a very important piece of equipment but if wire crimps were so bad, Tekonsha wouldn't even think of throwing them in with the installation kit.

Really? Looking at the dollars and cents, we're looking at $2/minute if the $20 harness takes less than 10 minutes to make. Unless you're earning $120/hr, I'd say it's worth it.

I suppose all this is really up to the user but I'm just trying to point out how easy it is here. Crimping 4 wires together isn't rocket science and if this forum is all about helping the DIY'r then lets not scare them away from simple tasks such as this.
Well not to be picky but the harness is only about $13 bucks.....and see this thread for more info...

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/166874-tekonsha-p3-caution/

for $13 bucks, its a no brainer decision for me....but as they say, to each their own....

#14 ·
#15 ·
Well not to be picky but the harness is only about $13 bucks.....and see this thread for more info...

for $13 bucks, its a no brainer decision for me....but as they say, to each their own....
for some, if they have the controller and yota harness in hand they may just find it quicker to use what they have instead of waiting around for another part to arrive.

if i were doing this, id splice away just to pizz ya'll off :D

#16 ·

I've seen that thread and to me it's nothing but an overreaction to a non-existent problem.

$13 includes shipping? I suppose if you are purchasing the controller and get the harness from the same vendor you'll save.

#17 ·
Tekonsha Prodigy

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-61-tekonsha-prodigy-brake-controller.aspx

its 116, and it gives ya a free connector....look like the avg going price...if your spending 95 minus well spend 20 more to make a clean install and keep your pig tail if you need it for another application...also an additional install kit for another verhicle is on like 15 through them or even not get the extra one adn just get the appilcation for another vehicle. Come on, we can all save 20 bucks from not getting on the truck as much for 1 day lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.