1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow, that just bring new light on the subject. Thanks for posting the article

·
Registered
50 Posts
Second Tundra and I have never had a problem with either of them.

Now if they could get it to accelerate with an empty tank that would get some attention!

Trekker

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Everybody wants to take down #1... this just shows how much BS people will shovel out to get a piece of unearned money for themselves... idiocy is surprisingly stubborn.

·
Registered
422 Posts
excellent article. Amazing what happens when the Government owns a competing auto manufacturer. This is exactly why the government should stay out of business.

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
And the truth comes out about Mrs. Smith...her floor mat got stuck on the gas pedal. I love how she had the presence of mind to call her husband.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I said from day one that it was a witch hunt and some friends of mine disagreed. In the last few days they have changed their mind. This article and others i have read in the last two days confirm what I was thinking. I see now that the greedy trial lawyers are behind it and it starts to make sense.

i read on another site today that rumor has it, Toyota has almost 40 billion in cash reserves.......think that does not make them a target when all of the domestic auto makers are broke.

·
Registered
17 Posts
All things break. With that said, I find it ironic that a government in bed with the US car industry would rake a foreign car company across the coals, like they have, and not expect to have the same treatment the next time a GM or Chrysler product is recalled. But instead these issues will be ignored and not brought to light.

I caught a very short news story on an unnamed news channel about a series of complaints about Chevy's Cobalt loosing power steering. It caught my eye because I own one of these cars. I had my electric power assist steering go out twice on me and took it in to Chevy. They said to was a connector issue that was not covered under warranty, even though I was well within the factory warranty period / milage. No recall, no public outcry, no congressional hearings...

I expect nothing less from these people we have "running" our country now.

·
Registered
710 Posts
One thing he says doesn't make sense to me. He states that the mini-drum emergency brake would lock-up the rear wheels, causing the tires to have a flat "sanded down" spot on them. I can *accelerate* with those little things engaged, and they fade away very quickly. I've never engaged them at high speed, but I'm pretty sure it's just going to be a slight drag, and only last a short distance. Real drum brakes can lock up the wheels... but those things can't hardly lock up at a dead stop. I don't know what happened with the lady, but his retro-analysis is pretty weak.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Great post as others have said and points sent but I disagree with the "implied" facts that if something can't be found wrong then nothing is wrong mentality. We have a member on here named Frankenstein that has on video and, I think, 4 weeks of dealer time trying to figure out why his engine stalls and then revs up and quits and even though it has sent codes during repeated test the dealer learned nothing from them. Now, they think they may have found the problem but not sure yet. So, while there is no doubt in my mind that all the low end scum bag vultures (usually attorneys) opportunist will come out by the thousands I still don't discount this issue totally simply because the manufactures typically ignore issues on a large scale simply from a bottom line perspective unless there is just simply overwhelming proof or a death. Same mentality our city takes when people complain that an intersection is dangerous they quote traffic studies and all kinds of physical quantifiable evidence as to why the city does not need a light for safety and why you the tax payer are wrong and then when someone innocent gets killed then all the people who complained said "we told you so" and they hide behind paid studies to back up their position. For the most part though, I do agree with the articles position on finding the facts and using that to guide this issue instead of the F-up media. Just a thought?

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
That article is a ray of sunshine at the end of the tunnel, but as we all know it only takes 1 unhappy customer to negate 1000 satisfied ones.

Facts are facts and anyone with half a brain can tell you not to believe most things you hear in the media. In this day and age the media controls the majority of people's opinions - most people will substitute these opinions for their own opinions and even facts. It's sad the people who are actually in charge of making important decisions regarding Toyota's potential fait don't even have a clue of what's actually going on - they rely on "experts" (most of which are paid) to convince them of a certain condition or situation. This is what makes the whole thing so crazy :mad:

As I've said before in another thread, just because some booksmart person with a PHD can make a car do something abnormal with decisive intervention and electronic manipulation doesn't mean it can practically happen under real world conditions. Most engineers, doctors and scientists think they have everything figured out (on paper), but in the end most of their theories don't hold water when exposed to the real practical world. I wish the book smart people of this world would do us all a favor and stop running their theoretical mouths in such a way, getting the media to blow everyone's head full of "what-if" garbage.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
One thing he says doesn't make sense to me. He states that the mini-drum emergency brake would lock-up the rear wheels, causing the tires to have a flat "sanded down" spot on them. I can *accelerate* with those little things engaged, and they fade away very quickly. I've never engaged them at high speed, but I'm pretty sure it's just going to be a slight drag, and only last a short distance. Real drum brakes can lock up the wheels... but those things can't hardly lock up at a dead stop. I don't know what happened with the lady, but his retro-analysis is pretty weak.
While the e-brake may not lock up the tires, there would be obvious signs of being applied at high speed - damage to the drum, brake lining, etc.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'm sorry.... And you can flame me with all your mite...
But it's just too damn coincidental that the government takes control of GM and Mopar, in which was having a hard time... and all of a sudden there is a crisis with their biggest competitor...
Not to mention the politics involved... Demo's want more government(health care for example)... Republicans want less government...????

Why is it so much US isolated? Haven't heard much from the East, which is Toyota's next biggest sales...

Why is it being directed at Toyota? Shouldn't the NHTSA be under investigation as they're the ones that let it slip??? What about other manufacturers?

Is it a conspiracy? Are some of these claims being paid? Although I know there were deaths.... but could be from floor mats...
Toyota can't find a problem... and insist that it's not an electronics issue... What the hell else could it be...
Other than there is no REAL problem...

It's not like Toyota has any other option other than to deal with the blows, given by this media....

·
Registered
121 Posts
In 2007 I purchased a new GMC 2500HD. I was on this forum considering a Tundra but went with the HD only because of heavy towing. I've continued on this forum just checking to see how the Tundra's are doing. At work today several of us drew the same conclusion, in our opinion the govt. is blowing this way out of proportion to benefit them. I've never known Toyota to have so many recalls/problems in such a short time span!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Congress sure impressed Joe Six Pack by bltch slapping the Jap CEO over this. Someone should remind these morons that it's not a good idea to do this to the nation who owns so much of our debt in the form of Treasuries. They pull back on this and you will see real financial chaos unlike the little trickle of 09.

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
Great post as others have said and points sent but I disagree with the "implied" facts that if something can't be found wrong then nothing is wrong mentality. We have a member on here named Frankenstein that has on video and, I think, 4 weeks of dealer time trying to figure out why his engine stalls and then revs up and quits and even though it has sent codes during repeated test the dealer learned nothing from them. Now, they think they may have found the problem but not sure yet. So, while there is no doubt in my mind that all the low end scum bag vultures (usually attorneys) opportunist will come out by the thousands I still don't discount this issue totally simply because the manufactures typically ignore issues on a large scale simply from a bottom line perspective unless there is just simply overwhelming proof or a death. Same mentality our city takes when people complain that an intersection is dangerous they quote traffic studies and all kinds of physical quantifiable evidence as to why the city does not need a light for safety and why you the tax payer are wrong and then when someone innocent gets killed then all the people who complained said "we told you so" and they hide behind paid studies to back up their position. For the most part though, I do agree with the articles position on finding the facts and using that to guide this issue instead of the F-up media. Just a thought?

The MAJOR difference is that Frank's issue IS duplicatable, Mrs. Smith's is NOT. HUGE difference. Frank's dealer HAS seen the issue first hand and KNOWS there is a problem. Mrs. Smith's dealer could NOT duplicate the problem which is where the suspicion lies.

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
It is absolutely a witch hunt. And the media is holding the mob torch.

Wow, that just bring new light on the subject. Thanks for posting the article
Wait a minute, what exactly is NEW about this article other than the date it was written? The facts have been there since the lady pulled on that onramp, then stopped 6 miles later, then called an attorney trying to get a buck, and then lied to congress under oath. I say lied because she did. The more you tell a lie to other people, the more you believe that that lie is actually truth.

This lady, who must be a model driver without any flaws on her driving record and always pays full attention to the road and makes excellent decisions on the interstate highways, did some amazing things in her short 6 mile trip. Let's break it down...

• She drove 6 miles @ speeds in excess of 100 mph. Doing the math here and estimating the speed at the minimum excess of 100 mph to be exactly 101 mph, that means she pulled this 6 mile stretch of Tennessee I-40 driving in under 214 seconds (about 3 1/2 minutes).
  • First, she turned off the Cruise Control, because somehow it magically came on, however, she remembered to turn that off first. Whew...
  • Next, she put two feet on the brake pedal, yes, both feet. Considering her Lex was an automatic, and assuming she wasn't driving with two feet already, she had to have taken one foot off of the accelerator pedal to do perform this task.
  • Then she changed gears, more than once, more than twice, she used every gear on the tree. This means she went from D (or OD), to 2, 3, 4, and N. Then she went to R (reverse). And anyone who has driven an automatic transmission knows you have to have your brake pedal deployed to shift into R.
  • Next she pulls the parking brake on the interstate.
ok, let's recap briefly...
  • In under 3 minutes, she's driving @ 101 mph (minimum), in Neutral, or Reverse, but going forward, with both feet on the brake, and the parking brake pulled. :twitch:
  • Now that she's done all that, the model driver from Tennessee picks up her cell phone and calls her husband. :cell: "hey honey, I just wanted to say hi."
  • And last but not least, the icing on the cake, she prayed to God. And whatdya know..., God stopped her car. The almighty One must have been on a three-way with OnStar that day.
After her car was inspected at the Toyota dealership, they noticed she had two sets of floor mats layered up in the front floor boards. That's funny because when I installed my Toyota all-weather floor mats THREE YEARS AGO they had a big huge caution label, that I had to tear off, that read: DO NOT INSTALL FLOOR MATS ON TOP OF EXISTING FLOOR MATS. REMOVE CARPET FLOOR MATS.

But of course it wasn't her fault, it was Toyota's fault. Let's call some lawyers!:phone:

1 - 20 of 114 Posts