Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2008 4wd 5.7 and my rack and pinion bushings are worn out and need replacing. Sunrise toyota is the dealer I bought the truck from and the guys there are less than helpful in trying to fix anything. They're telling me that the bushings can't be replaced and I need to buy a whole new rack. I have found aftermarket polyurethane bushings but only for the first gen. Anyone had to replace theirs and if so where did you get the bushings from?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just did this. Energy Suspension has them. $44 or so. Took me about 4 hours to change them. You need a large pickle fork. Part number 8.10107G. Got mine from Autoplicity.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Do you have to remove the rack or just loosen the bolts to get access?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Bump please... anybody??
Coachbuilder sells a bushing kit for the steering rack, I had purchased the bushings but never got around to installing them and then sold the truck. However, when I purchased them I talked with him on the phone about the install and he told me you do not need to remove the rack, you just have to remove the two mounting bolts and you can wiggle the rack slightly out of the way in order to remove the old bushings and install the new bushings.

I'd imagine you need to remove the bolt where the tie rod end attaches to the knuckle too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Coachbuilder sells a bushing kit for the steering rack, I had purchased the bushings but never got around to installing them and then sold the truck. However, when I purchased them I talked with him on the phone about the install and he told me you do not need to remove the rack, you just have to remove the two mounting bolts and you can wiggle the rack slightly out of the way in order to remove the old bushings and install the new bushings.

I'd imagine you need to remove the bolt where the tie rod end attaches to the knuckle too.
Thank you very much !!
This is exactly what I was hoping to hear !!

Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Morning from Kansas,
My names Randy, Its been a long while since iv'e posted in here so i thought I would hijack this old post. So I'm in the process of removing my rack to replacing the bushings.
I have a 2008 Tundra and can not find a single video, article or post for a 2008 or newer. Every things is for 2006 and earlier tundras. completely not the same.
At this point, I have the wheel off, Tie rod ends disconected, rack unbolted, intermediate steering shaft pulled away from the valve pinion bady thing, Imput lines remover,

The info Iv'e acquired thus far is this.

1. The rack can be slid out the passenger side wheel well "without" having to pull the engine. Unless there is some bit of information being left out, i don't see it happening.

2. Im now told to A. remove the motor mount bolt (drivers side) and push the motor up enough to get the Valve/pinion body past the motor?

3. Or B. to remove the Valve/Pinion body thing from the rack and it will then fit throught the wheel well hole?

Unsure at this point.
If anyone has succesfuly done this on a 2008 Tundra I could use a bit of help.
Names Randy @ 316 461-7903

I will be AFK for a bit as i will be collecting my tools from around the yard before I can move forward.

Thanks guys in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Morning from Kansas,

My names Randy, Its been a long while since iv'e posted in here so i thought I would hijack this old post. So I'm in the process of removing my rack to replacing the bushings.

I have a 2008 Tundra and can not find a single video, article or post for a 2008 or newer. Every things is for 2006 and earlier tundras. completely not the same.

At this point, I have the wheel off, Tie rod ends disconected, rack unbolted, intermediate steering shaft pulled away from the valve pinion bady thing, Imput lines remover,

The info Iv'e acquired thus far is this.

1. The rack can be slid out the passenger side wheel well "without" having to pull the engine. Unless there is some bit of information being left out, i don't see it happening.

2. Im now told to A. remove the motor mount bolt (drivers side) and push the motor up enough to get the Valve/pinion body past the motor?

3. Or B. to remove the Valve/Pinion body thing from the rack and it will then fit throught the wheel well hole?

Unsure at this point.

If anyone has succesfuly done this on a 2008 Tundra I could use a bit of help.

Names Randy @ 316 461-7903

I will be AFK for a bit as i will be collecting my tools from around the yard before I can move forward.

Thanks guys in advance.

Hang in there! It’s a pain in the butt job for sure. I replaced mine a few years ago but have since sold the truck but for me personally I definitely did nit remove the motor or any motor mounts.

I did have to remove the oil cooler so I drained the oil and coolant. I also believe I removed only the right/passenger side INNER tie rod end as well.

I was then able to Tetris it out.

Also, if you are ONLY replacing bushings and not the whole rack, it’s said to be possible without removing the whole rack and being able to replace them with what you’ve removed so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts