Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live in upper michigan and have had 8 trucks in the last 18 yrs. i love my 2008 sb 4wd reg cab 5.7 tundra. nicest and hottest truck i've had. BUT it's the worse 4 wd i've owned. won't lock and in the mud and snow in the U.P. it's been a huge disapointment. everthing else beats all comers that i'm surprised that no one has challenged them to fix this. it's never a good thing when your pulled out by a chevy that is so inferior in all other aspects. not the tires i spent 1200 bucks on off road michelins.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
My 4WD works great, even with stock rubber. Maybe its your tires or driving style?

·
Registered
464 Posts
must be you or your truck...spent a few years in washington and pulled out lots of stuck trucks through 2 feet of snow with no issues, had a real snowy season in NJ this past winter with no issues and go play in the mud quite frequently. I have never been stuck and always pull through just fine. i mean i'm actually impressed with how my truck handles in the mud and snow.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've grown up in the u.p. you learn how to drive in the snow to survive. in my farm field this 4 wd won't lock and it works against itselfe. even my under powered ford 150 that was a puss with the horse trailer behind it had a much better 4 wd in the tough conditions on heavy snow or mud.

·
Registered
464 Posts
i've grown up in the u.p. you learn how to drive in the snow to survive. in my farm field this 4 wd won't lock and it works against itselfe. even my under powered ford 150 that was a puss with the horse trailer behind it had a much better 4 wd in the tough conditions on heavy snow or mud.
i have plenty experience with driving in the snow, was stationed in alaska for 6 years as well and wife is from MI. It really must be something with your truck, my truck locks up and flys through the snow like nothing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi way handling with the all traction controlls is so impressive. i'm talking about when your pulling or loaded in real heavy mud or snow.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
Prior 4X4 vehicles include a GMC S-15, (mid 80's) Ford F-150 ('05) Dodge Ram 2500 ('99) Nissan Pathfinder ('94). . . I find this Tundra every bit as good in 4WD mode as any of those, maybe better, certainly not worse. In my own snow, mud, dirt, and sand driving experience.

·
Registered
195 Posts
He has a point: Mine get´s stuck on 4hi on my slightly sloped driveway in heavy snow, but it´ll pull through just fine in 4lo.

So that might be the solution - let us know as that works for you.

·
Registered
464 Posts
hi way handling with the all traction controlls is so impressive. i'm talking about when your pulling or loaded in real heavy mud or snow.
i have no traction controls in 4wd. everything turns off, is something different with the 2008's and up?

My pleasure by the way...thank you

·
Registered
754 Posts
am i wrong 4wheel drive is 4 wheel drive its always 4wd when you hit that switch???? How big of the tires did the chevy have? what was its load in the trunk? alot of factors...but I have a hard time believing 4 wheel drive wont let you drive in snow??? is your tundra lowered or something?

·
Registered
860 Posts
What'za "off-road Michelin"? Didn't even know they made off-road tires.

and uh, don't you need lockers for all wheels to lock? Without lockers no 4wd will lock all four wheels.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Worst, not worse....

DC area got hit with 2 big snow storms this winter. First was almost 2 feet of snow, second was 3 feet with higher drifts. My Tundra with the All Terrain T/A's got anywhere and everywhere I tried. At work I drove a couple different Chevy and Ford 4wd pickups. The Tundra was just as capable as the other trucks with true limited slip. It took me a little while to get used to the Toyota system. I learned, at least the few times I got stuck, that if you have higher rpms in 4wd, you can get all 4 wheels to spin. I assume that the ALSD system kicks in at higher rpms.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I think our 4runner and our '98 Expdition were better vehicles in the snow, BUT, I would be hard pressed to find another that beats it out by that much. The 4runner and Expdition did great because of the SUV factor.

With my balding KOs, I can get anywhere in about a foot of snow pretty easily. Some wheelspin and she'll get goin'!

-rockstate

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Rear differential = open

Front differential when engaging 4wd = locked (hence why you don't use 4wd on dry pavement)

So when you're in 4wd you are putting power to 3 wheels, possibly 4 if A-LSD works in 4wd.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts