Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Worth Upgrading Limited Slip Differential?

12K views 41 replies 28 participants last post by  peteyc20 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 V8 2wd Tundra and simply want to be able to drive on the beach (Galveston/PINS) and would like to be able to not get stuck. Will upgrading to the TRD Limited Slip Differential (Part #: 00647-41301-100 ?) give me a fighting chance of not getting stuck to often? I know it depends on driving skill and I'd have the tools to dig myself out...

#2 ·
The price isn't that bad for the LSD and install, so even if you weren't going on the beach, I'd say get it for sure. I had the TRD LSD in my 2wd Tacoma and I loved it every bit.

As far as it actually helping you not get stuck, that's debatable. The conditions of the sand will play a big role, but not having a lead foot in the sand will help.

#5 ·
Get the lsd, I go out with another tundra group once in awhile, one of the times was at pismo beach, ca. Most of them are 2wd with lsd, and had no prob getting through the sand. Take into mind that you prob should airdown to about 10 or 12 psi, makes a big difference.

#6 ·
Ron, Just curious if you have someone in Houston you trust to install the thing. I am still looking for someone to install my stereing rack bushings.

I wouldn't mind doing either but at this point I don't have a day free to devote to it.

Scott
Spring, Texas

#7 ·
I tried to get stuck and test out my lsd lst week at the beach. There were a few deep potholes (2+ ft) filled w mud and I couldn't get it stuck. If you know how to drive, it is very useful and minimizes the need for 4wd.

#8 ·
I'm also thinking of getting a LSD. I don't do much off-road stuff but I pull a boat on a dirt/gravel incline and cannot get much traction. I'm also going to get new tires but I would rather not get an all-terain tire becuase I mainly drive on the street. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not the TRD LSD plus a tire like the BF Rugged Trail tire would satisfy my needs?

#12 ·
Just wondering H20_Man, what was your total cost (parts and labor) for your LSD?

Thanks!
I'm not H20_Man, but my cost was 299 shipped for the LSD and 350 for the install.

#17 ·
I think the stock LSD and the TRD LSD (which I can't get from my dealer, he claims you can't get it anymore) are the same animal. Both are made by Eaton according to my research. FWIW, I got a quote from a local 4x4 shop for the Eaton version for $542 with a $450 installation. This is in League City Texas.

#19 ·
Eaton makes two, one for TRD(Kazuma) with a 200lb preload and one for themselves with a 400lb preload. Or it's the other way around, can't remember and not sure if the consumer would be able to tell the diffenece. In any case that's all I know of the differences between the two.

#20 ·
I had an eaton gov lock on my silverado and I don't want another one on anything I drive. ARB makes an air locker that works like a regular open diff until you engage it. The factory lsd seems to be working just fine for me.

#22 ·
The site shows 2 items.

12 Bolt 8" Ring Gear
Part Number: 106942 * for $279

and an installation kit for $245

What do I order? Do I need the installation kit? Any idea what is in the installation kit?
Master Install kit consist of new pinion and carrier bearings, shim kit, etc. Depending on how many miles you have on the your rear axle, new bearings is a good idea. As far as the ring gear, not sure if it's 3.90, 4.10 or what ever but, if you have bigger tires this would be a good time to change to either 4.30, 4.56 or 4.88's.

#23 ·
Master Install kit consist of new pinion and carrier bearings, shim kit, etc. Depending on how many miles you have on the your rear axle, new bearings is a good idea. As far as the ring gear, not sure if it's 3.90, 4.10 or what ever but, if you have bigger tires this would be a good time to change to either 4.30, 4.56 or 4.88's.
I have 72k miles. I guess I should get the whole setup? Install kit and Diff?

#24 ·
I have 72k miles. I guess I should get the whole setup? Install kit and Diff?
Yup. Are you going stock gearing or something else? If you go with something else 4.56 or 4.88, I'd suggest contacting Offroadwarehouse.com (registered TS vendor), you might save some $$$ on the gear set and the master install kit.

#25 ·
Yup. Are you going stock gearing or something else? If you go with something else 4.56 or 4.88, I'd suggest contacting Offroadwarehouse.com (registered TS vendor), you might save some $$$ on the gear set and the master install kit.
I have stock size tires and no plan to go bigger. Fuel economy is already bad enough so I guess I would not go to a higher gearing. I would think I can stay with stock. SHould I get the install kit from offroadwarehouse even in this case?

#26 ·
Just keep in mind if you've got a 4x4 that you must change the gear ratios in both diffs at the same time unless you want trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.