Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always believed Toyota had the best Quality until recently. Have always heard Toyota was slow to admit fault IE. engine sludge. The acceleration problem had not bothered me until I look on the NHTSA website and see several problems related to the 2010 with only one one the Titan in comparison. Thump/Clunk, VVTi, axle assembly.
Is this normal for the Tundra?
Would you buy or wait?
Will Toyota stand behind these and other issues?

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wall Street Journal had a great article about 5 weeks ago - showed two fascinating charts for all major manufactures: 1.) initial customer quality, and 2.) issues per customer several years after purchase.

Toyota was drastically better than 80% of the other manufactures in both charts, although I was surprised that Buick did really well too. Those charts pretty well put me at ease / confirmed what I was thinking.

Anyhow, I bought a 2010 Tundra a couple of months ago because my sense is that quality issues are exaggerated mostly due to the media feeding frenzy, but you gotta do what you are comfortable with, so don't take my word for it - talk to people you know who have recent Tundras, F150s, Silverados, etc. and test drive them all.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Tundra has no engine or transmission durability issues.....yet anyway. Which means Tundra is still superior to the domestic trucks in regards to long term drivetrain durability.

Some Toyota issues get wildly exaggerated out of context. For example, both of Toyota's sludge prone motors, the 1MZ-FE V6 and 5S-FE 4 cylinder are famous for lasting 500,000+ miles if the owner changes the oil on time to prevent sludge buildup or installs the redeigned valve covers and PVC system modifications that make the engines less sludge prone.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Our new Gen II. (*currently own 4 tundras)
Only 150 miles on it.
So to answer the question....yes.
;)

~JH

·
Registered
133 Posts
bought mine 2010 in Dec of 09, had recall done..and never had an an issue yet...only 6500 miles on it. First toyota i have owned and i feel like this truck will last longer than any other chevy, ford, or dodge i have owned.

In my opinion the government and the media made an example of toyota because they are the best car company in the US, the government at the time owned GM so why wouldnt they want to make everyone hate toyota and buy a gm?

and in all honesty i just traded in my 08 dodge for this truck, but if chevy/gmc would not price them selves out of the market i would have had a gm. I got my crew max for almost 10K cheaper than a gm with the same options.

so yeah i like my tundra, glad i bought it. trade in, you wont regret it

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
So let me get this right, you joined a Tundra forum to ask everyone if they would buy a tundra???? Just want to make sure I got this right...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I traded a 2008 Titan for a 2010 Tundra. I took a beating on trade-in but the Nissan had too many issues that did not get resolved. The first day I took delivery of the Titan the A/C stopped working. It was all downhill after that.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Would you buy the 2010 Tundra?
YES! I did, and would do it again. I ALSO believe that Toyota's quality issues have been blown out of proportion. The Tundra is NOT perfect, and it does have some issues: The BedBounce issue; The overly intrusive Traction Control; The interior could have been designed better; Some guys doing heavy 4x4 stuff have had complaints about 4x4 traction & the need for a rear-locker; Recall issues (???)....

BUT it's still a fantastic truck, with a great powertrain, a comfortable, roomy interior, nice styling - and what appears to be great reliability. I had my '07 and now my '10 with ZERO problems.

It's definitely no-worse than any other truck out there... in fact, I think it's better than the others.

BUY ONE!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate for a second - to buy a 2010 Tundra - if I was looking for a new truck. But, as it stands now, I'm still quite happy with my 08.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Bought a 2010 about 3 months ago, haven't looked back. My 2010 has this new safety feature to prevent unintended acceleration.... its called COMMON SENSE and transmission NEUTRAL.
The 4x4 worked flawlessly for me when the DC area got hit with 2 huge blizzards 2 feet the first time, an additional 3 feet the second time. A true LSD or locking rear would be awesome though.
This is the 5th Toyota in my family... ZERO issues with any of them.
No VVTi issues, no thunk or clunk.
Its a truck, its not very comfortable on the expansion joints on the concrete highway. Luckily, the vast majority of the roads in my area are asphalt, so I don't need to worry about it.
I personally like the interior of the truck and don't mind the gauges. Different gauges would be better, but its not something I look at every day and complain about.

·
Registered
544 Posts
My 2010 has this new safety feature to prevent unintended acceleration.... its called COMMON SENSE and transmission NEUTRAL.
Is that a new feature they came up with?:confused:

:D

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
... I personally like the interior of the truck and don't mind the gauges. Different gauges would be better, but its not something I look at every day and complain about.
You don't look at your gauges!? LOL - I'd make the radio & C/C controls closer to me, and change the gauges too, but they're OK. It's all subjective anyhow, since it all appeals to personal taste.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sold my 06 DC,bought the 2010 DC,both 4X4's. 06 was a great truck,this one suits me better though. 10,500 miles, no issues. Taking my time on Obama's recalls,pedal's fine. I'm 56 years old and only went as far as the 10th grade in school. Even with my "limited" education, I know enough to control my truck under any condition.Toyota won't be able to fix 'stupid' or 'dirt-balls' wanting free money, with RECALLS!:mad:

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have no reservations about having bought my 09. I came from an 04 Dakota. When people's balljoints were wearing out on Dakotas and Durangos at less than 50K street-driven miles to the point where wheels were buckling under trucks while driving, Daimler said they admitted there was a definite problem with the quality control on the part, but they didn't think it merited a safety recall quite yet because it had only happened at parking lot speeds that were low enough that nobody had seriously been injured. Oh and they also said it was the owners' fault for not identifying and fixing the problem.

I believe Toyota will emerge from this a better company for it while these things have happened throughout the history of the big 3 and they've never changed, they just fight until they have no choice then move on to covering up the next problem. And now they're all quietly slipping in their own safety recalls under the radar while toyota is taking the major media attention for awhile.

I will say this... my 95 Ranger purchased used with 36K was completely trouble free to 9 years and 107K, then I paid for the Dodge which cost me 4-5 grand by 75 thousand miles and 5 years. The Tundra is my last stab at a brand new vehicle. If this one gives me expensive troubles, from here on in I'll be buying low mileage used from dealerships and letting someone else iron out initial quality problems for me. If I can't get a brand new vehicle to 100K without expensive repairs, why not save the 5-6 grand on the initial purchase price.

3-4 year old, less than 50K, and throw some of the savings at an extended warranty. Some say you're only taking someone else's problem child but our family had decent luck with the used vehicles that my parents purchased for myself and my sister when I was at home. Nowadays with how tempramental new vehicles are it seems like just as much of a crapshoot either way.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
No, I would NEVER consider buying a 2010 Tundra. I have a 2007 Tundra with 45K on it and have never been more satisfied with a vehicle. I take it in for it's scheduled maintenance, pour in some gas when needed and I'm good to go. Never been happier with an auto purchase......

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
The 2010 is a great truck! Just make sure you don't buy the Flex-fuel engine, which would end your chances of ever being supercharged.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm very happy with my 07, no problems of any kind, gas and oil changes, no regrets, I have 37000 miles on mine, and I do not expect any set backs. If was in the market for a truck I still would buy a Toyota (Tundra).

·
Registered
87 Posts
I traded a 2008 Titan for a 2010 Tundra. I took a beating on trade-in but the Nissan had too many issues that did not get resolved. The first day I took delivery of the Titan the A/C stopped working. It was all downhill after that.
YES!

I also traded a Titan for the Tundra. 2007 Crew Cad for a 2010 Double Cab. I had absolutely no issues with the Titan, except one recall for something brake related (I think...it was loooong ago). Actually, it was my 2nd Titan...had a 2005 Double Cab before the 2007 Crew.

My reason for trading was simple. I was in great position to take advantage of the overexaggerated media hype on Toyota quality/craftsmanship, etc. I wasn't even in the market for a new truck. I just stopped by the local dealership to check pricing and was approached in the lot by a salesman. My Titan was holding up well, and the value was, too. I got Blue Book for my Titan, extra cash for the aftermarket wheels, 0% financing on the Tundra, 2yr/25k miles free service, 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty w/no deductible, zero down, and only a $20/month increase on note. I had to jump on it!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts