Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to get some other opinions on what to do..I'm trying to decide if I want to let my 02 Tundra goand trade it for a Tacoma. The tundra has 97500 on it, BUT it's within 2k of being paid off. With the recent spike in gas would I be better served to get a smaller engine and make the pmt's or should I just run this truck!!
I dont do any hauling with the truck...just moving my tools around alot, so that is't a factor( i looked at a Tacoma double cab..I like the extra door)

Anyone want to chime in?? I know this topic has been beat to death but... one more time wouldnt hurt...

What is the HP loss?? and can it really be felt?? :ts:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Financially, you would be better served keeping the Tundra. The amount you would be paying in interest on a new Tacoma would probably be more than the amount you would save in your gasoline costs. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just concerned about future maintinace too...It's a certified truck for another 2k miles then it's all on me...

you can budget a car pmt you cant budget a repair....

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Just concerned about future maintinace too...It's a certified truck for another 2k miles then it's all on me...

you can budget a car pmt you cant budget a repair....
true, but if your tundra isnt having any problems then i dont really think it will just crap on you. BTW, arent the tacoma 4.0 and the tundras very close in gas mileage? i dont see but a 1 or 2 mpg difference.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Pay off your truck and then create a truck repair fund using the monthly payments you were sending to the bank. It's typically much cheaper to maintain a vehicle than to buy a new one. Ever had a repair that required 5 years of payment? Worst case scenario would be a trans rebuild. Even at $3K or so, you're financially better off with the Tundra.

·
Registered
868 Posts
You're always better financially to keep the vehicle you've got, no matter what convoluted reasoning you can dream up. The repairs you may or may not put into your Tundra will not even equal the depreciation on the new rig. Your truck will have minimal depreciation from here on out. Now if you really just WANT a new truck...then make up whatever justification you need to make yourself feel good about it;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wouldn't even consider it by any means! I just brought back (Lemon) an 01 Tacoma that was the pits. I now have a real truck, an 01 Tundra, man what an ordeal and a scary thought of trying to live with a sucky Tacoma!:cool:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Financialy you won't be any further ahead in trading the Tundra for a Tacoma. I was actually contemplating the same thing also although I was considering the FJ Cruiser. The Tacoma or FJ will get about 4 MPG better than the Tundra BUT as in my case I would have to pay about $10,000.00 difference on the Trade. Not worth it, you would have to own the Tacoma for about 20 years to break even with the inital trade cost versus the minor fuel savings and by that time, IF you did keep it that long, you would likely be in the market for a new truck anyway.;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
You're always better financially to keep the vehicle you've got, no matter what convoluted reasoning you can dream up. The repairs you may or may not put into your Tundra will not even equal the depreciation on the new rig. Your truck will have minimal depreciation from here on out. Now if you really just WANT a new truck...then make up whatever justification you need to make yourself feel good about it;)
Well put. If you need someone to second your justification to the wife, let me know. My testimony can be purchased.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well.. thank you all for the imput...I have thought it over and will KEEP the Tundra and put the $$ in the bank for repairs and let it grow interest!! i realize that that was the sensible thing to do and fanancially the right thing to do...I guess I was getting truck bying fever ....but I'll work thru it

Thanks again all of you:ts:

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
...I guess I was getting truck bying fever ....but I'll work thru it

Thanks again all of you:ts:
Watch out... it's contagious! :devil: I think you made the wise decision. If you do like you said and once it's paid off keep putting the payment in your "Truck Account" you should have plenty to pay for repairs and eventually have a heck of a down payment on a truck when you really need one. Hope your decision proves to be the correct one in the long run. The odds are in your favor.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
This is what I would do. NO PAYMENT is a good payment. Remember, this is why we (most of us) buy a Toyota. They have a long history of having longevity. Save you money, then when it is right, you will know. Your truck should go another 100k.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
I just went through a similar decision making process, but in my case I'd be trading my 04 Tundra for an 07 Tundra.

In the end, I decided I was better off having the 04. There's nothing wrong with it, people on this site have put tons of miles on their trucks with very few problems, so I figure I'll do the same.

Keep the money in your pocket, payments are a pain.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Keep the Tundra

·
Registered
313 Posts
Keep the tundra and just do its required maintenance.:tu: No sense jumping to another car payment. The new one will also have its maintenance payment and that's double expenses.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
If you are driving an 02 Tundra TRADE IT ASAP!! you can't take the money with ya and you will allways be in debt!! SO splurge and keep it simple put some cash with trade in and get payments LOWWW!!! You deserve a NEW TUNDRA!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you are driving an 02 Tundra TRAD IT ASAP!! you can't take the money with ya and you will allways be in debt!! SO splurge and keep it simple put some cash with trade in and get payments LOWWW!!! You deserve a NEW TUNDRA!!
He said he wants to trade it on a TACOMA...

Keep the Tundra, its a more solid ride than the Taco.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The new Taco is a bad looking vehicle. I must say the overfenders are much cooler than mine. It's a beefier looking vehicle, but not a practical one with such a small bed and go-cart suspension. The owner of the company I do estimating for just purchased a loaded Taco crew cab. It's got everything, and looks killer. I bought a 4x4 DC SR5 for probably a few grand less, and my truck IMO kills it when sitting side by side. I think it's simply the size and not the looks, and we both have ladders (I'll have to snap a photo of his, he's struggling to get one 24' ladder on his rack while I easily carry a 24' and 28').

The reason I didn't buy a Taco (I make a very good living and could afford any truck on the market), is for ride quality, reliability, and economy. I didn't want a limited b/c I didn't want to get ink on the leather seats (estimating = lots of writing). I didn't want an '07 because 1st year vehicles always have hiccups (yes, even Toyota). I didn't want a Taco because I'm a fata$$ and my a$$ doesn't like go-carts for long periods of time. Finally, I didn't care so much for gas mileage, because the difference between 14 mpg and 19 mpg is only 130 miles week, which is $10. I'll pay an extra $10 a week to drive in style in a larger crew cab than suffer in a pick up truck not capable of hauling 20 bags of mulch. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts